IGNORED

7800 composite mod bad color

James app-2008

Hello

i recently modded my atari 7800 with the UAV rev. d mod. 

im using a crt a small like 9inch crt which worked very well with a modded 2600 and works well with a dvd player. 

but i just put in a frenzy homebrew game, and it apears in black and white? 
i went to youtube and i see the frenzy games colors on the startup screen with multi colors. My tv has a couple of settings for video one shows my frenzy game all in blue. Which looks good but its all blue? And the main setting for frenzy is black and white? 

i also plugged in a an atari homebrew packman game and it is in color but i was a little dissaponted? But the pacman game is atleast in color but kind of dissapointing compared to my 2600 mod? 

i can take pics if that would help.

i had an electronics guy who is great do the mod. He did say he took out the rf box thing on the inside of the atari because he said it was messing with the sound? 

im comparing this mod to my 2600 mod and the colors on packman dont look that great? And frenzy is in black and white? 

My electronics guy is very good, and im sure he tested it, maybe on a lcd monitor. 

like i said i can take pictures but i’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong? 

like i said i can take pictures.

Sounds like the color for the 7800 color is loose. Same thing happened to me. It broke while moving around the uav. Open it up and check for a broken solder joint from the 6th or 7th pin from the end. It might be broken there, or on the UAV itself. My 7800 games were black and white and I thought I did something wrong until I realized my wire was broke. 

1 hour ago, James app-2008 said:

Hello

i recently modded my atari 7800 with the UAV rev. d mod. 

im using a crt a small like 9inch crt which worked very well with a modded 2600 and works well with a dvd player. 

but i just put in a frenzy homebrew game, and it apears in black and white? 
i went to youtube and i see the frenzy games colors on the startup screen with multi colors. My tv has a couple of settings for video one shows my frenzy game all in blue. Which looks good but its all blue? And the main setting for frenzy is black and white? 

i also plugged in a an atari homebrew packman game and it is in color but i was a little dissaponted? But the pacman game is atleast in color but kind of dissapointing compared to my 2600 mod? 

i can take pics if that would help.

i had an electronics guy who is great do the mod. He did say he took out the rf box thing on the inside of the atari because he said it was messing with the sound? 

im comparing this mod to my 2600 mod and the colors on packman dont look that great? And frenzy is in black and white? 

My electronics guy is very good, and im sure he tested it, maybe on a lcd monitor. 

like i said i can take pictures but i’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong? 

like i said i can take pictures.

Please provide some pics of what you are seeing. The only games that will have odd color through a UAV specifically as compared to perhaps other solutions are those games that relied on artifacting with composite. Tower Toppler no matter what you do, never seems to look quite right through the composite on the UAV but that is the most severe game to have an issue. The rest of the games should look better than you are used to.

Hello

i just took these pictures this morning. 

the games look better than the pics to be honest. And some of the pics of frenzy the game is in black and white but the pics have a shadow and a weird tint. 

its morning now, sometimes i think at night when its dark my monitor looks better. And video looks pretty good on my monitor. But these pics dont do it justice. If i can im gonna try and upload some videos of my modded 2600 i took awhile back on the same monitor. 

i took some pics of pacman arcade, but again the game looks better than the pic

also my monitor has a couple of different settings one says blue on it and the frenzy game is all blue on it

it almost seems resolution detail and sound are good just the colors seem off. And again frenzy is in black and white, so something is off. 

thanks for the help so far

my electronics guy like i said removed the rf box. I still have it he gave to me if i ever needed to put it back on

i could give him back my 7800 and my monitor and maybe with some help he could get it to work

im gonna try and upload some videos of my 2600 on the same monitor

These are some videos of my 2600 modded on the same crt

maybe tonight i can take some videos of my 7800

one thing i want to say, on my 2600 mod letters and numbers can be hard to read, but im so happy with the mod overall i can live with it

but i saw pics of the uav mod online i was impressed with the level of detail in the pics i saw. And the pics i took might not show it. But i think my uav mod looks good in that respect but obviously frenzy is in black and white and the colors are off

Are you sure he installed a UAV into your 7800? Why was the RF modulator and channel selector switch removed? I'm only asking because those do NOT have to be removed for a UAV install as it will work fine with or without the RF in place. What video output is being used from your modded 7800? I'm going to guess composite?

If you are willing, we need to see pics of the install work inside with closeups of the UAV board and wiring so we can see that everything is soldered where it should be.

Hello

its definatly the uav rev. D

my electronics guy is good but i dont think he has ever done a mod before. 

he told me he took the rf box off because of the sound. 

im really uncomfortable taking the 7800 apart but if i link this thread to my guy, im sure he could take pics. 

im planning on giving my guy the 7800 back with my particular crt. I want to ask my guy how he tested the 7800, he had my homebrew pacman arcade as his only game. 

and can anyone tell me why my videos arent playing that i uploaded?