MrZarniwoop

Review for new RetroTINK 5X-Pro notes Atari 7800 S-Video performance

Posted (edited)

I just dug out my 2X Pro and now I can see the issue. Comparing the 5X and 2X Pro does seem like a big difference, at least on my setup. I typically have the 7800 hooked up to a CRT and haven't played much 2600 on it until recently (we did have a 2600 growing up). This is fascinating.

For Starmaster, I get a rolling image on the 2X Pro. No issues at all on the 5X.

I also tried Moon Patrol with the 2X Pro and I can see the sync drops, which doesn't occur on the 5X Pro.

Edited by dlmartins

From the test, it def still did the same drop with Asteroids, and I think I could see it in Buck? Buck isn't as obvious though. 

11 hours ago, dlmartins said:

Seemed okay to me, but I'm not sure if this is like Moon Patrol and only certain parts are problematic. I'm not very familiar with this game, so the gameplay is shameful and I had to mess with the difficulty switches, etc. I hope this helps.

thanks!

Yeah - that's fine.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:03 PM, MrZarniwoop said:

I am interested for two reasons:

• Scaler, not just line doubler: to get an idea of the picture improvement on digital displays, look up 240p results with OSSC in Line5x mode or Framemeister scaled to 1080p, it's a much better picture that's amazing
  • Triple Buffering, where (on paper) it looks like it should handle, with perhaps 0 frames of lag, the problematic 2600 games with dynamic scanlines that can blank the display due to signal resyncing when used with most "zero lag" digital video converters: Asteroids (copyright screen), Buck Rodgers (between title and gameplay), Moon Patrol (first buggy may crash during blank at start), PlusCart(+) menu transitions, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (when an AT-AT Walker is destroyed), Talvisota (screen shake during gunshots), etc.

It also appears to have much better de-interlacing, although that shouldn't really matter to the Atari 7800.

I´ve made Talvisota: i saw the same thing in the emulator (screen shake during gunshots). I removed many if then statements, and replaced them with a sdata-field in batari Basic. This solved the problem. I think, the gamecode became too complex. Try version 1.0

18 hours ago, donnerkuh said:

I´ve made Talvisota: i saw the same thing in the emulator (screen shake during gunshots). I removed many if then statements, and replaced them with a sdata-field in batari Basic. This solved the problem. I think, the gamecode became too complex. Try version 1.0

Tried it! I think perhaps more shots work with the screen remaining ok through my OSSC? But definitely sometimes even with 1.0 it still loses sync, I think as a result of video timing changes from the number of scanlines changing.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:29 AM, DrVenkman said:

Whoever did the “review” needs to try some problematic 2600 games: Activision Starmaster, Atari Battlezone, Parker Bros. The Empire Strikes Back …

@ckrtech's done up a video looking into some of the problem games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

@ckrtech's done up a video looking into some of the problem games.

Just watched that video - excellent summary and description of the issues. 

(And nice hat tip to you, Mr. Spice, in the credits!) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

And nice hat tip to you, Mr. Spice, in the credits!

Thanks!

We've been going back & forth via email since early May and wrapped it up last week.  After my initial research into Battlezone I posted the following topic in the 2600 Programming forum to show people how to use Stella's Debugger to analyze VSYNC. Numerous values get reset with the 2nd write to VSYNC, which makes it a little bit tricky to analyze.

I quite liked the Draconian cameos as well 😁 

• Like 4