IGNORED

What ColecoVision games do YOU want to see 5200 versions of?

BIGHMW

Well, like the title suggests which ones do YOU want to see on Big Sexy and/or XEGS? We already had 2600 and Intellivision threads but now it's time to conjure up some thoughts for the 5200's biggest rival competitor, so let's hear it, I'll start first:

Space Fury

Pepper II

Mouse Trap

Lady Bug

Frenzy

Time Pilot (already a homebrew on the 8-bit/XEGS)

Here is a whole list of them for your records

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ColecoVision_games#U.S.

• Like 2

Most everything on the CV that I would want to play now is available on one of the Atari systems I have in a comparable version, and those that aren't wouldn't happen in a million years anyway.  So this might as well be a list of my favorite CV games not on the 5200, but hey, since you asked:

It's Only Rock n' Roll - Always loved this one, and my username comes from the name of your band's shyster manager, so it would be great to see it in a proper Atari version.

2010: The Graphic Action Game - Great graphics, sound, and atmosphere from the movie.  Very 80s in an authentic, not kitsch-y way.

Fortune Builder - People talk about how the CV was all arcade ports, but it had really great simulation games, and this is one.  Great 8-bit renditions of Vivaldi and Mussorgsky tunes.  The CV is almost entirely responsible for my appreciation of classical music.  So many games on the system had them.

The Heist - Not a lot of platformers on the 5200.  This one would be a good fit.

B.C.'s Quest for Tires II: Grog's Revenge - The first one got onto Atari, so what gives?

Looping - 5200 would likely have better scrolling.  Would love to hear Bach's Invention 8 in F Major coming out of the POKEY.

6 hours ago, Billy Beans said:

Jumpman Jr.

You're in luck...

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/125406-8-bit-conversions/

As for the rest, I dunno, why not just get a Colecovision (or it's excellent modern rebirth console, the Phoenix)?  It's a pretty great retro system with a library full of ports you can't get elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:

You're in luck...

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/125406-8-bit-conversions/

As for the rest, I dunno, why not just get a Colecovision (or it's excellent modern rebirth console, the Phoenix)?  It's a pretty great retro system with a library full of ports you can't get elsewhere.

That's great, thanks.

It's one of those games that should work on most systems. I bet it could be made on the 2600 too.

3 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

Because of this.

23eb7cbabe10238d50ff697dd7770746.thumb.jpg.6bb49a1d63246a459c672f7fe66d6614.jpg

11 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Because of this.

23eb7cbabe10238d50ff697dd7770746.thumb.jpg.6bb49a1d63246a459c672f7fe66d6614.jpg

Lol, I hear ya.  That thing is pretty prone to fail, and opening it up is a royal pain.  If you can get it open, however, it’s not too difficult to identify and replace the bad transistor(s) that are almost always the trouble.  

And you didn’t even mention the flaky power switch and the hard to repair motherboard!  So, yeah, original Colecovision hardware isn’t great.  (With the arrival of the Phoenix, I doubt I’ll be using it much any more.) 

So I totally grant that original hardware probably isn’t the best solution for someone not comfortable with repairing it.  But finding some other way to play it’s excellent library of games is probably preferable to waiting for 5200 conversions.  

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Mr Do-   There's an excellent Atari 8-bit version that maybe could be ported.

....already done..... somewhat. I hope this port works, I have it on my Atarimax multicart, it WAS going to be put out on cartridge by one of our users years ago but that plan was later aborted.

Mr Do!.rom

4 hours ago, roadrunner said:

No love for Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle ?

Being the a little kid at the time when the TV show was a big deal here in the states, Smurf Paint n' Play Workshop was the one that got all the love.  That thing was nuts for a Colecovision cartridge.  Crate your own scenes, record your own animations, just play around sandbox-style.  We played it for hours; wore the top layer off the keypad with it.  

Best thing about Rescue was how the Smurf died: one frame 270° rotation and "clunk".

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, BIGHMW said:

Well, like the title suggests which ones do YOU want to see on Big Sexy and/or XEGS?

Time Pilot (already a homebrew on the 8-bit/XEGS)

OMG! I've been praying for this!!! Time Pilot was one of my faves in the arcade but the CV did it no justice. I just saw the 8-bit version on youtube. PLEASE would someone convert it to the 5200???  Holy crap it's near perfect - has the Alien saucer screen too!!

Being serious for a moment, I'd like to see the following ported to the A8 / 5200:

• Exidy games (particularly Mouse Trap and Pepper II)
  • Taito games (Front Line)
  • Universal games (Do! Run Run and Mr Do!'s Wild Ride in particular - also Jumping Jack)

Other than that...  Don't really have much interest.  I would much rather see these as ground-up ports rather than attempts at bringing over the ColecoVision versions, however.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 6:41 PM, BIGHMW said:

....already done..... somewhat. I hope this port works, I have it on my Atarimax multicart, it WAS going to be put out on cartridge by one of our users years ago but that plan was later aborted.

Mr Do!.rom 64 kB · 20 downloads

Is the one that arcade USA covered? The one that has miniature color mr do!s icons for your man count?

Not aware a binary was released for Mr Do! apart from to testers so sad that this seems out although any version should be subject to the remaining bug so it's not a biggy. It's been too long since I've been able to get back to that and I might have posted an early one on the forums?