Jump to content
Destro 83

USB Keyboard Issues???

Recommended Posts

Hey y'all

 

As a general statement, this VCS has been WAAAY more difficult to setup than it should have been. Atari left far to much to the end user to do-backer release or not.

 

After months of trouble shooting (mostly solo) I finally have the VCS optimized to do what I want on it. And yes, you can play four player PTB Clone Hero (with the pro drums) at 200+FPS with the VCS maxed out and 6 gigs dedicated to the video ram. This machine is far more capable than Atari is presently willing/able to support it... Let us hope that history does not remember the VCS as the Jaguar 3 :((((

 

Additionally, the way to load Windows 10 from an M.2 (the only way to do what I described above-good luck doing any of that on an external through USB) is proof that Atari does not really know what they have created. To have to log into the bios to launch Windows is one of the most backwards non-intuitive things I have ever seen a game company do to a product that was built and advertised to do a feature like PC Mode as one of its main capabilities. I really hope this way of logging into an M.2 through the backdoor (and the google chrome update) comes through soon...

 

Now, back to the point of my post. The only way to initiate the bios is to push escape on the keyboard. I am using a Logitech K400 wireless USB dongle keyboard. It takes 5-6 tries (or more) of resetting the VCS to get into the bios using this keyboard, as if it is not registering inside the VCS in time that I am pressing the escape key on my keyboard to enter the bios. I will get it to respond eventually and let me in to launch windows 10 from my m.2, but it is never consistent.  Is this happening because I am using a wireless USB dongle keyboard? Is a wired keyboard consistent? 

 

Thanks for the help!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Destro 83 said:

Hey y'all

 

As a general statement, this VCS has been WAAAY more difficult to setup than it should have been. Atari left far to much to the end user to do-backer release or not.

 

After months of trouble shooting (mostly solo) I finally have the VCS optimized to do what I want on it. And yes, you can play four player PTB Clone Hero (with the pro drums) at 200+FPS with the VCS maxed out and 6 gigs dedicated to the video ram. This machine is far more capable than Atari is presently willing/able to support it... Let us hope that history does not remember the VCS as the Jaguar 3 :((((

 

Additionally, the way to load Windows 10 from an M.2 (the only way to do what I described above-good luck doing any of that on an external through USB) is proof that Atari does not really know what they have created. To have to log into the bios to launch Windows is one of the most backwards non-intuitive things I have ever seen a game company do to a product that was built and advertised to do a feature like PC Mode as one of its main capabilities. I really hope this way of logging into an M.2 through the backdoor (and the google chrome update) comes through soon...

 

Now, back to the point of my post. The only way to initiate the bios is to push escape on the keyboard. I am using a Logitech K400 wireless USB dongle keyboard. It takes 5-6 tries (or more) of resetting the VCS to get into the bios using this keyboard, as if it is not registering inside the VCS in time that I am pressing the escape key on my keyboard to enter the bios. I will get it to respond eventually and let me in to launch windows 10 from my m.2, but it is never consistent.  Is this happening because I am using a wireless USB dongle keyboard? Is a wired keyboard consistent? 

 

Thanks for the help!

I have a Logitech K400+ wireless keyboard (almost the same, huh) and a Rapoo wireless keyboard+mouse set.
I never had any problem with the Logitech, the range being much better incidentally. Perhaps the battery is low?
As the USB device is constantly paired, and needs no device setup, as it appears as a normal USB keyboard, it
should react as easily. (As I'm typing this via the VCS right now, I'll do an immediate test, but I'll check tomorrow
if I am just having good luck or if there is something I am missing, but as I said, I've perhaps had 1-2 failures total.)
F12 also brings up the boot menu, and it should be possible to add it to that, I just didn't try, as I am using Windows
from an external USB 3.1 SSD, and have my internal M2 SATA for storage, which I share with an Ubuntu USB SSD.
As I wrote, I'll have a play around and see if I can work out what the difference is with our Logitech keyboards. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the friendly reply!

 

So, it may be the battery, but those suckers were just charged and should last three years between charges (the last regular batteries lasted that long). You never know though! Something to eliminate...

 

I did some more messing around on my VCS last night and I plugged a wired keyboard into the front. Works like a charm every time. To add more information to my experimenting to get the right set up, I think the powered USB strip I have is what is doing it. It is a seven port USB strip that is plugged into the back. When the Logitech is plugged into it (or it the usb strip is plugged in at all and the dongle is just plugged into the front of the VCS), I have the issue of it barely working. When I unplug the USB strip and just plug the Logitech in, it works fine, but this defeats my purpose of having a powered strip plugged in all the time so I can hook four instruments and two wireless accessories up at once. I think the number of things plugged in and how the potential lag of the USB strip communicating with the VCS that is doing it. Additionally, the wired keyboard works perfectly with everything hooked up. I have a wired keyboard I use for my Switch, so until Atari fixes this on the backend, I should be good. PITA, but that's part of tinkering. Again I say though, this should not be activities bound to the tink list for an advertised and capable feature....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Destro 83 said:

Thanks for the friendly reply!

My pleasure, of course! I'm always trying to learn and pass on what I find out, to help. 🙂

I did the test today, as I promised, with my K400+, and I didn't get one failure with it.
Your explanation about the USB hub sounds logical. 
I have the dongle in the front-left port of my VCS permanently, and a USB disk drive in the back.

I do have a mini USB-hub, but for the USB disk drive(s) I tend to use the back ports. Old habits
from the ZX Spectrum perhaps, of plugging things needlessly into the back of a computer, ha ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, Destro 83 said:

Hey y'all

 

As a general statement, this VCS has been WAAAY more difficult to setup than it should have been. Atari left far to much to the end user to do-backer release or not.

 

After months of trouble shooting (mostly solo) I finally have the VCS optimized to do what I want on it. And yes, you can play four player PTB Clone Hero (with the pro drums) at 200+FPS with the VCS maxed out and 6 gigs dedicated to the video ram. This machine is far more capable than Atari is presently willing/able to support it... Let us hope that history does not remember the VCS as the Jaguar 3 :((((

 

Additionally, the way to load Windows 10 from an M.2 (the only way to do what I described above-good luck doing any of that on an external through USB) is proof that Atari does not really know what they have created. To have to log into the bios to launch Windows is one of the most backwards non-intuitive things I have ever seen a game company do to a product that was built and advertised to do a feature like PC Mode as one of its main capabilities. I really hope this way of logging into an M.2 through the backdoor (and the google chrome update) comes through soon...

 

Now, back to the point of my post. The only way to initiate the bios is to push escape on the keyboard. I am using a Logitech K400 wireless USB dongle keyboard. It takes 5-6 tries (or more) of resetting the VCS to get into the bios using this keyboard, as if it is not registering inside the VCS in time that I am pressing the escape key on my keyboard to enter the bios. I will get it to respond eventually and let me in to launch windows 10 from my m.2, but it is never consistent.  Is this happening because I am using a wireless USB dongle keyboard? Is a wired keyboard consistent? 

 

Thanks for the help!

Uh.... what would be the Jaguar 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, Destro 83 said:

The only way to initiate the bios is to push escape on the keyboard. I am using a Logitech K400 wireless USB dongle keyboard. It takes 5-6 tries (or more) of resetting the VCS to get into the bios using this keyboard, as if it is not registering inside the VCS in time that I am pressing the escape key on my keyboard to enter the bios.

I can't even get my Logitech MK470 with USB dongle to occasionally boot into bios pressing ESC on startup. I plugged my Apple wireless keyboard in with an iPhone lightning cable, and it worked the first try. Any help would be appreciated..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About keyboard support, still no support for AZERTY keyboards for France and no French translation of Chrome.

Or did I miss something?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an  Magic Keyboard and it works right away. Straight forward job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2021 at 8:51 PM, skr said:

I use an  Magic Keyboard and it works right away. Straight forward job.

That's using it wirelessly, and not plugged in with a Lightning cable? If so, I haven't had the same experience as you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allpaul said:

That's using it wirelessly, and not plugged in with a Lightning cable? If so, I haven't had the same experience as you.

Yes, wirelessly. I just switched it on and saw it the VCS´s system settings, where I could connect it. It really was that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, 0_obeWAN said:

About keyboard support, still no support for AZERTY keyboards for France and no French translation of Chrome.

Or did I miss something?

I have the same problem. Under the bios or AtariOS no way to configure the keyboard in AZERTY. Under Chrome (under AtariOS) I found to change the language in French but it does not change anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, RadiATIon said:

I have the same problem. Under the bios or AtariOS no way to configure the keyboard in AZERTY. Under Chrome (under AtariOS) I found to change the language in French but it does not change anything 

There is no azerty keyboard support, nor is there a Chrome browser translation (and there certainly never will be). 
Anyway, the more time goes by, the more the chances to see the console being taken into account for France decrease.
It's like many things about this console, it's disappointing. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2021 at 5:37 PM, skr said:

Yes, wirelessly. I just switched it on and saw it the VCS´s system settings, where I could connect it. It really was that easy.

I read back through this thread, because I’m still having the same issue. I was able to connect my Apple Keyboard through Bluetooth no problem. I just couldn’t use it to boot into bios without having it wired with a lightning cable.  
 

I just wanted to clarify you were talking about booting into bios on startup, and not just using the keyboard wirelessly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2021 at 11:51 PM, SoCalAttorney said:

I am using the Logitech MK270 keyboard/mouse combo with no issues. I am running Window 10 Pro on an internal SSD.

So, I’m guessing you are using the keyboard on startup to launch bios to boot into Windows with no problems? Maybe there’s something I’m overlooking with my Logitech keyboard. I have Windows installed in the internal drive, also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allpaul said:

So, I’m guessing you are using the keyboard on startup to launch bios to boot into Windows with no problems? Maybe there’s something I’m overlooking with my Logitech keyboard. I have Windows installed in the internal drive, also. 

I also have a Logitech K400+ with wireless dongle in the VCS, but on my 2nd system, I have a Rapoo wireless keyboard.
Both work problem free, as they are both 2.4Ghz wireless.

 

So long as the keyboard is wireless, but NOT Bluetooth, it will work fine at startup.
Repeatedly tap <ESC>, don't hold it down.

Bluetooth keyboards can only work once an operating system is booted, as setup by software once the computer boots.
A 2.4Ghz keyboard with dongle, is different. The keyboard looks like a normal cabled USB keyboard to (any PC) BIOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Logitech K780 keyboard that's bluetooth and while I can pair it with my Samsung tablet it wouldn't work on a Raspberry Pi or any Linux device.  Unlike other bluetoooth stuff, you have to type a number on the keyboard to pair it and for some reason it doesn't work with plain Linux.

 

So I'm wondering if that's why it's not working on a VCS, I don't know...  (Would using a bluetooth dongle work?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with the Adesso WKB-4400UB - Wireless SlimTouch Desktop Touchpad Keyboard since I wanted a full size keyboard with numpad and trackpad (didn't want a mouse and need to have a surface to use it on and I can siteon the sofa and use this on my lap. Couldn't find all that in a bluetooth keyboard. This perfectly fit the bill for me and works great!  I was surprised how very little options there was for a wireless keyboard with both a trackpad and numpad, but got what I wanted with the Adesso WKB-4400UB.  Well I wanted Bluetooth, but was ok to go with RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, justclaws said:

Repeatedly tap <ESC>, don't hold it down

You just blew my mind. I tried it several times just tapping - 100% success rate!

I’m glad I brought up this issue again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Allpaul said:

So, I’m guessing you are using the keyboard on startup to launch bios to boot into Windows with no problems? Maybe there’s something I’m overlooking with my Logitech keyboard. I have Windows installed in the internal drive, also. 

Yes, I turn on the VCS and start tapping the escape key and it works just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...