IGNORED

Enhancement: adding copy and rename to copy function?

Curious as to whether or not this is something that could be implemented without too much difficulty: copy and rename.

This would be an addition to the regular copy feature: user presses 'C' to copy a file, navigates to where it's supposed to end up, and presses 'C' again to drop it in that location.  A prompt comes up asking if they want to copy or rename and copy - so hitting 'C' again writes it out with the same name as the original had, but hitting 'R' would allow a new filename to be specified before it's written out.

Here's the use case I've run into for this: working with and transferring data safely to blank disk images.  I keep a number of pre-built blank disk images handy on a read-only share.  They can be copied to a read/write share easily enough, then mounted to a disk slot and manipulated as necessary.  However, because the copy retains the same name as the original, there's a risk of overwriting one that's actively being worked with by inadvertently copying over it.  There's also no good way to rename it other than sshing into the server hosting the image.  Being able to rename on copy would solve both of these issues.

• Like 1

Read, and noted, and yes, we need a full fledged file manager. anyone want to take this on?

-Thom

(this is actually easier than it seems because the majority of the needed functionality runs on the ESP32, and you'd just be sending SIO commands to do the actual job)

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

(this is actually easier than it seems because the majority of the needed functionality runs on the ESP32, and you'd just be sending SIO commands to do the actual job)

I think I asked about this basic functionality some months ago, maybe even late last summer after the first 1.0 units went out. I asked if a straight "Copy this .ATR file from a TNFS server to local storage" type functionality could be added. IIRC (and I might well not be!), I think the reply was that the basic functionality was already done for ATX files to remove network latency from the equation since some titles use timing-based protection. 

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I think I asked about this basic functionality some months ago, maybe even late last summer after the first 1.0 units went out. I asked if a straight "Copy this .ATR file from a TNFS server to local storage" type functionality could be added. IIRC (and I might well not be!), I think the reply was that the basic functionality was already done for ATX files to remove network latency from the equation since some titles use timing-based protection. 

Yup, copy is indeed there, and after the fix last month (UDP packet size was too large), copy seems to work very stably.

He's asking to be able to add an additional screen to set a destination filename if wanted.

This is doable, I'm weighing going ahead and doing it and will need to carefully add the functionality, CONFIG is getting _VERY_ big (in terms of occupied RAM), we blew right past the imposed 16K limit that I wanted to stay within (so it could run on 16K machines), so to get things back down to normal, in the intermediate term, we need to break out ALL of the file management like features to its own "commander" like program that can be loaded from CONFIG (or from a DOS), and be used alongside the fnc-tools. Once this is done, I can seriously start crunching the ever loving F*** out of CONFIG so it can fit in 16K again. :)

-Thom

(from my own experience, you can always crunch a program more, always...but the amount of time to find a byte to squeeze increases proportionally to the number of bytes already squeezed out. I think @flashjazzcat and others would definitely agree. ;) )

• Like 1

How about FNFM.COM for FujiNetFileManager? Done in an XTree Gold style interface. Hopefully small enough to fit in SDX CAR: ROM drive.

This should be easy if it's mostly SIO commands. I don't have time to even attempt this, with the store and all. Hopefully a brilliant programmer will pick up this idea.

6 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

How about FNFM.COM for FujiNetFileManager? Done in an XTree Gold style interface. Hopefully small enough to fit in SDX CAR: ROM drive.

This should be easy if it's mostly SIO commands. I don't have time to even attempt this, with the store and all. Hopefully a brilliant programmer will pick up this idea.

The idea's fine, but how would you propose to make it work in 40 columns?  Xtree Gold really needs more characters per line than the A8 has stock.

I understand that using SpartaDOS X would permit using their software 80-column mode, but then it becomes a case of needing to buy a second piece of hardware just to make use of the file manager.

By no means am I railing against supporting SDX' 80-column mode(s), but my gut feeling is that 40-column displays need to also be taken into account.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The idea's fine, but how would you propose to make it work in 40 columns?  Xtree Gold really needs more characters per line than the A8 has stock.

I understand that using SpartaDOS X would permit using their software 80-column mode, but then it becomes a case of needing to buy a second piece of hardware just to make use of the file manager.

By no means am I railing against supporting SDX' 80-column mode(s), but my gut feeling is that 40-column displays need to also be taken into account.

This is a big reason why CONFIG splits things up across several screens, and tries very hard to display only exactly what is needed. Screen real estate is precious, and so many software engineers really botch this by trying to cram everything on screen at once.

-Thom

• Like 3

It's perfectly possible to design software which works with an indeterminate number of screen columns and adjusts the display to fit. Or - if an 80-column display is mandatory - do like Sparta Commander and exploit both software 80 column drivers and hardware 80 column drivers (RC_GR8.SYS and S_VBXE.SYS in that particular case).

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

It's perfectly possible to design software which works with an indeterminate number of screen columns and adjusts the display to fit. Or - if an 80-column display is mandatory - do like Sparta Commander and exploit both software 80 column drivers and hardware 80 column drivers (RC_GR8.SYS and S_VBXE.SYS in that particular case).

Yup, indeed. I wrote a piece of code that would clear the screen, and then position the cursor to the bottom right, while reading ROWCRS/COLCRS to get screen constraints. Worked pretty well.

-Thom