IGNORED

Best Electronics website down?

ratwell

Hello guys

I guess two things could be happening here:

a) Brad is trying to charge his new Tesla off the same power source his server is powered by, or

b) he finally reached the max amount of those 40 kilograms 10 MB hard disks he's running his site on, that you can power from the same source.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have tried to place orders at Best Electronics and at B&C.

Brad at Best responded to me email usually within 24 hours.  I wanted to place a decent sized order but with the 3 item limit, I figured it would just be easier to buy a used 130xe off here or ebay and get all my parts in one purchase.

Bruce  at B&C returned my call last week, I was inquiring about one of his 130xe.  He said he had some 65xe new in boxes that came back from Atari Mexico when it shut down.  These 65xe have 130xe boards in the but on 64k, they also have The ECI so they would be a good candidate for the 130xe remake board.  But he mentioned the price would be around $300 but needed to ge tested first.

After speaking to him I was able to win an ebay auction or 2 and one 130xe on here.  Bruce called me back to say he had them tested and ready to sell.  I am no longer an searching for a 130xe. I wanted to buy some Atari chips.  He said send him an email with the list and he would invoice my paypal.  I sent the list but he now says he is too busy with paying orders to research other orders and might find time later.

I said no problem send me the invoice for the parts and I will pay as soon as its possible. 

I wish they had the resources to get caught up. Both Brad and Bruce say they are very very busy.

• Confused 1

Once, when apparently Bruce had more time available, we talked on the phone for what seemed like hours.  He is a very nice guy.  He gave me the whole story how he got into Atari.  He, Brad, and others were there when Atari went belly up.  Some lots Brad got, some Bruce.  There were others, San Jose Computers, American Techna-vision.  Names we have all seen in magazines.  They got these lots as a "All or Nothing proposition".  They got them for pennies on the dollar; Atari just wanted empty warehouses.  The only problem Brad and Bruce had was, space to store all of the loot.  It was brilliant.  Bruce said one year he and Cathy did over 1 or 1 Million in sales!  I am sure Brad's story is similar.  Of course, you wouldn't know it by looking at their physical facilities.  I think this whole Atari thing has been quite the financial boom for both.  I am glad they are doing so well that they are busy.  I do see in Brad's Addendum that a lot of things are SOLD OUT.  I am sure he has enough to last his life.  Bruce has apparently just turned into an Ebay Store (I am sad to say).   His prices have really gone up.  But, then again, where else will you find NOS Atari computers?

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Bruce has apparently just turned into an Ebay Store (I am sad to say).   His prices have really gone up.  But, then again, where else will you find NOS Atari computers?

I don't think at his age Bruce really has the same ambition to test, box, and ship stuff. So probably the thinking is if he's got to do it, then at least charge enough to make it worthwhile.

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

He is a very nice guy.  He gave me the whole story how he got into Atari.

I agree, Bruce is a great guy!

Since I don't live very far from where his home and Atari stuff is stored, he personally stopped by my residence and dropped off a 65XE I purchased a few years ago. Didn't seem like he was in a rush, so I invited him inside and we sat down and talked for well over an hour, getting the same lowdown as you described about the history of how him and others got their hands on all the Atari merchandise. Fascinating story indeed!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mytek said:

I don't think at his age Bruce really has the same ambition to test, box, and ship stuff. So probably the thinking is if he's got to do it, then at least charge enough to make it worthwhile.

I agree, Bruce is a great guy!

Since I don't live very far from where his home and Atari stuff is stored, he personally stopped by my residence and dropped off a 65XE I purchased a few years ago. Didn't seem like he was in a rush, so I invited him inside and we sat down and talked for well over an hour, getting the same lowdown as you described about the history of how him and others got their hands on all the Atari merchandise. Fascinating story indeed!

I read a tale of someone purchasing a lot of trackballs, he went to the location and was shown a few pallets. When he said they would load those up he was asked when he would be picking up the others still on the trailers, that would likely be 80 pallets/trailer.

• Like 3

Just looked at the sight and it seems to be working fine.  I know that both of those guys (Brad and Bruce) are really busy.  I'm rather surprised that they

are still working so hard at it!  I've been doing business with Best for over 30 years.  If he slows down a bit I sure can't blame him!  I've had a card on file

with Brad for many, many years.  When I call or email him with my order, I don't know how much it costs till I get the order with the receipt in it.  Over the

years we've had a few words, but we have always trusted each other.

DavidMil

• Like 2

As much as it can be frustrating dealing with Brad (and his website), it will be a sad day when his store is no longer operational. Unfortunately he refuses any help, and he's not exactly a young guy, so it's just a matter of time before it all gets wholesaled/demolished...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1