IGNORED

Vim files for IntyBASIC?

By necessity, I had to start using gvim instead of emacs in my Portable Intellivision Development Environment on my tablet.  Now that I have a keyboard with an Escape key (my last keyboard had Function keys, but still no Escape key!) I picked up vim again and created a nice little starter .vimrc file.

I've got the emacs files like intybasic-mode.el that @carlsson was nice enough to send my way, but does anybody experienced in vim have anything analogous?

• Like 1

To be honest, I have no idea about the programmability or "pluginability" of vim. I thought it mostly was a plain text editor with separate modes for inserting and overwriting text. Though I suppose it could be interesting with something similar that both has the option of syntax highlighting (though I've never implemented that part) and the shortcuts for invoking the compiler chain which is the main reason why I wanted an Emacs mode in the first place, to make it work more like an IDE and no need for a command prompt only to run the compiler and assembler (or the SDK build script). The origin for the intybasic-mode was a 6502 DASM mode by Magervalp though he only did the syntax highlighting part, while I added invoking of the assembler.

I was just looking for syntax highlighting anyhow, since I created a GUI application to select a project and click the "Make" button, which then generates a BASH script on the fly and executes it.

The script invokes the IntyBASIC compiler and checks the return code.  If 0 (no errors), it then invokes asm1600, and along the way, it generates all the files useful for debugging.  If still no errors, then it displays the .cfg file contents in the terminal window.  Text is displayed either red or green to easily see whether compilation/assembly was successful or not.

I wish I could go on using emacs, but since late last year it's only been available without the GUI.  The only other option in X is something called geany, which will run on my phone but not on my tablet.

• Like 1

Ok. While I have no doubts you are at least as qualified as I am on searching, I found a page here describing the syntax for creating a file for syntax highlighting in vim. It would be an hour of work but if nobody else did it, you might just have to.

https://vim.fandom.com/wiki/Creating_your_own_syntax_files

I suppose tagging @intvnut and @Rick Reynolds might be useful here, as both previously reported they're regular vim users.

• Like 2

Vim is definitely a very powerful editor.  I only scratch the surface of what it can do.

I once tried to make a syntax highlighting file for CP1600 assembler, but never delved into trying it for IntyBASIC.  Because of the amount of flexibility vim offers, it has a bit of a steep learning curve for this stuff (at least to me).  But I'd be all for more vim-love in the Intellivision programming community!  :)

1 minute ago, Rick Reynolds said:

Vim is definitely a very powerful editor.  I only scratch the surface of what it can do.

I once tried to make a syntax highlighting file for CP1600 assembler, but never delved into trying it for IntyBASIC.  Because of the amount of flexibility vim offers, it has a bit of a steep learning curve for this stuff (at least to me).  But I'd be all for more vim-love in the Intellivision programming community!  :)

Since all my previous keyboards didn't have Escape keys, I had been using evim until now.  I'll see how proficient I am at it once I'm done cranking out my next game.