IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 14 and 15 ~ A Trip to the Mountains!

Vocelli

Have managed to get a just about respectable score at mountain king.

Have got a big improvement at California games too. Am amazed at the scores the top players are getting at this. I also love the game itself. Many of the late 2600 releases were bad to the point of seeming like a parody (Commando and Double Dragon spring to mind here), and trying to port some of those titles to the 2600 just highlighted how far the world had moved past the by then ancient system. 

But this is one of a few (Kung Fu Master and Klax being others imho) that managed to somehow squeeze a decent version of games designed for much more powerful hardware into the 2600. Sure, the graphics and sound of all of those three is way behind some of the other versions, but I'm not sure that the 2600 versions are actually any less fun their more powerful cousins. 

And actually, I prefer playing the BMX event on the 2600 far more than the prettier commodore 64 version...............which is why I'm going to keep at that one and try and crack 40k.......doubt I will manage that though ?

IMG_20210515_085342332.thumb.jpg.7153a138997768fa999f9738be6d4085.jpgmom

IMG_20210516_093446659.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, toiletunes said:

Tips for Spike's Peak:

-Be prepared to play a long time. Part of the game is waiting until it's safe to move.

-Turn the volume low so it's less annoying, but not off, so you don't miss audio clues.

-When you die, take a moment to pause and refocus. Count to ten or whatnot. It's too easy to lose focus and die a bunch real fast. But DON'T PAUSE FOR TOO LONG because the game will reset.

-For the bears and eagle stage, the bears seem to follow a pattern. Once you figure it out, they're easy to avoid. For the eagle, wait for the bear's eyes to change color before you jump out. I prefer valleys to caves.

-For the rock wall stage, climb up until you're touching the ledge so you can move faster, then go right for the bonus points. Then go back left. This is the hard part, waiting for the right conditions to move up near the left side of the screen. Take your time, you won't freeze here. The ladder on the left helps a little. If you're moving, pressing fire gives some protection. 

-For the Ice stage, stay on the path! I'll cut the corners when I'm close enough. When I die, it's usually because I threw my stick to the right, then a landslide knocks me down into another snowman. If you throw left, you can catch it on the way down. Then you can either stop sliding, or throw it at the snowman. The big thing is grabbing the upper right diamond and keep going up at that point. The diamond replenishes your heat meter, and you'll need it for the flag stage.

-Rinse and repeat. It takes a lot of concentration, since you move so slow compared to the enemy obstacles and there's so many things to watch for.

Very different to my strategy, I agree with the first screen, there is a pattern on where the Beas go and how eagles come out. The second screen I use a direct approach, pretty much just go straight up, with a side movement to avoid the rocks.The last stage I totally stay off the beaten track!! 
Hopefully you will roll it it soon, out of curiosity how long did it take for the 980k run?

I can roll it in 45 minutes approximately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nads said:

Very different to my strategy, I agree with the first screen, there is a pattern on where the Beas go and how eagles come out. The second screen I use a direct approach, pretty much just go straight up, with a side movement to avoid the rocks.The last stage I totally stay off the beaten track!! 
Hopefully you will roll it it soon, out of curiosity how long did it take for the 980k run?

I don't plan on playing again, unless I have to. The last time felt like hours, but that included restarts.

• Like 2

Vocelli:

Thought I would submit some score. We still have 1 week to go in the mountains.

Mountain King: 50325

Personal Best. Love this type of game. Could have been so much better with a decent jump.

Spikes Peak: 16,000

Don't like games where I lose points so fast.

BMX: 21470

Could have been a great BMX event if the guy wouldn't go so fast and crash on every other second.

0515211718 (1).jpg

0514210857a.jpg

0511211647.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 5:18 PM, classicgamer_27330 said:

I can't figure out how to get to a raised platform by jumping in Mountain King, so until I learn that my score is an embarrassing 2,950

up to 3300

you have to jump (press up) from an awkwardly wide angle. its also better to jump down then to fall, so that it doesn't waste as much of your timer.

Edited by G-type

On 5/16/2021 at 6:40 AM, nads said:

what's the best timing to avoid the boulder. I just rely on luck, which is not a very reliable method.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For Mountain King, it's better for your score to not try to escape too soon. Wait as long as you are able, to maximize your diamond collection and try to find all the hidden treasure chests. I usually end up doing this unintentionally just because the bats keep stealing back the crown on my ascent.

• Like 1