IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 14 and 15 ~ A Trip to the Mountains!

Vocelli

6 hours ago, nads said:

BMX Mountain Bike Racing : 99,990

1077870787_bmx99990.thumb.jpg.790286f2bb1bc9bf9f25f0e164483692.jpg

Here is the video showing the gameplay.

If people deem it’s not in the spirit of the game to play like this, I won’t have a problem with my score not being accepted ?

You may not, but I would have a problem with it not being accepted. You did what anyone else has the ability to do, your technique was within the confines of the programming, no glitches were used, there is a limited amount of distance that can be covered, and the game has a definitive end... you just happen to be the first to maximize scoring opportunities within that distance and max it out. I think this should be allowed to stand. 

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mountain King-41,015

Waited till the last day on this one, enough of an improvement on my PB to submit elsewhere.

Can't get to the top of the friggin Mountain, but spaced out finding treasures to leave sweet spots, and got lucky with some close flames.

Avoided this because it sucks, but tbh, it really doesn't, it's not that bad at all.

2600Mountainking41015.png

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

You may not, but I would have a problem with it not being accepted. You did what anyone else has the ability to do, your technique was within the confines of the programming, no glitches were used, there is a limited amount of distance that can be covered, and the game has a definitive end... you just happen to be the first to maximize scoring opportunities within that distance and max it out. I think this should be allowed to stand. 

Zilch....I understand your point of view...its bad programming to have a game make this kind of point grinding possible.   I have no problem with the score counting as is....but this seems very obviously a loophole to being considered leeching...but still should be considered leeching.  Again I really dont have an issue with this at all....just wanted to share my two cents.

Thanks guys & gals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nads said:

If people deem it’s not in the spirit of the game to play like this, I won’t have a problem with my score not being accepted ?

Regardless of the debate of counting or not, I am impressed by your patience to move through the course that way and finding that can do this!  I don't think I  would have the patience to pull this off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nads said:

Fair play to you for posting it on a couple of points. Firstly for making a clear how you've played, and giving people the opportunity to protest if they feel it not in the spirit of things. Fwiw, my own take is that it isn't quite in the spirit of things, but Zilch is probably right that you haven't actually done anything wrong here given the parameters of the game, so there's no reason not to let the score stand. The game should really have been written in such a way that the event ends if the timer reaches zero. But it wasn't, and you played within the rules as they are

Secondly (and perhaps more importantly), seeing that those kind of scores are achieved only by playing that way reassures me that I'm not going mad ?. I really enjoy this one, and have probably ended up playing it more than  most of the games in the HSC. I got to about 38,000, which I thought was pretty good. Then I saw a couple of scores way into the 40s, and thought they would have to be something close to perfect runs. Then I saw these really big scores and just thought , how ?!?!?!?!?!

And now I know, so thanks !. Personally I just haven't got the patience to rack up a score in that way . .  .not least as I think the game is too much fun, and I wouldn't last long at all before the temptation to play in a more conventional way would just get too much  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:34 PM, fakecortex said:

Mountain King - 16,520

EA9768ED-0713-401F-9AF6-AD585F2385D8.thumb.jpeg.ae489007837a2aec411978c33706cb8f.jpeg

Great music and a neat idea don’t make up for shite jumping and bats. 

Spike’s Peak - 17,000

4C77BF9A-D437-41F3-8415-18079B081F0E.thumb.jpeg.6a9e5d260ca842f3970e065060c63277.jpeg

I can’t tell ya how I got that score, but I’m not getting past the rock screen with Mr. Molasses here. 

California Games - BMX - 20,370

3DADC938-EF3B-4064-830B-4C5241CD8CFF.thumb.jpeg.01d1497d30f504d0f0b33a89d785d3c4.jpeg

Posting this while rocking out to its tunes. Keep gettin’ back on your bike lil’ dude. 

In summation, if the mountains are anything like these games, I’ll stay inside. 

Hahaha Mr Molasses....that made me laugh out loud...thank you for that!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gbag said:

Zilch....I understand your point of view...its bad programming to have a game make this kind of point grinding possible.   I have no problem with the score counting as is....but this seems very obviously a loophole to being considered leeching...but still should be considered leeching.  Again I really dont have an issue with this at all....just wanted to share my two cents.

Thanks guys & gals.

Thanks, man. I agree that some more thought should have gone into development. Whether it is considered leeching or otherwise, there are several factors that conventional wisdom considers when determining if the technique is either leeching (frowned upon) or point-pressing (generally acceptable):

doing an activity repeatedly in the same location that doesnt progress the game forward

the game doesn't have a finite end

the game does not have a kill timer

repeating a technique that yields more extra lives than expends them and can be done infinitely (like the turtle step kick trick on Suoer Mario Bros.)

Although the BMX event's timer is not a kill timer, I am assuming the devs did that on purpose, and was put in as a bonus points incentive commensurate with the time left on the clock, if any. No time left, no bonus. This is not uncommon, as there have been several games that provide remaining-time bonuses, but no bonus if the time expires, without further penalty. Many times in these games, the player may make a strategic decision whether to maximize timer bonus or to dismiss it. 

Is this leeching? I suppose that depends on one's subjective definition of the term, but the conventional wisdom (which may or may not be right) suggests that this is merely point pressing, and it is isn't unreasonable for someone to think outside of conventional wisdom.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 5

BMX: 32550

I tried the strategy @nads shared and improved my score some, but didn't get the timing consistent enough to get anywhere near the max-out score.  There is definitely some level of skill involved to make the most of this strategy.

I'm a little annoyed I still haven't made it to the top with the crown on Mountain King.  It seemed that I ran out of time at least as often as I had the crown stolen by a bat.  I never did figure out how to consistently jump up to the next platform.  I'm not sure if I should be more annoyed with my skill level or with how the game was programmed.  Time to move on to next week...

image.thumb.png.fd39f020bc9d24fa7dde8ad4890ef2d7.png

• Like 4