IGNORED

All SOLD: Sega to 7800 Adapter REVISED for Light Phaser

Dopy25

Hello everyone.

This project was the result of me looking for a way to modify my Genesis controller for use on the 7800. I had an extra one and had no 7800 controllers. I ended up making a 7800 compatible controller, but it rendered the sega controller almost useless as a genesis controller. I went back to looking and found that another user had created a board for this exact purpose. I reached out to request use, and it ended up that I was able to purchase a batch of components to make 15 adapters. I am keeping 2 for myself so I am able to sell the remaining 13 here. I will not post on ebay. These are for this community only.

The adapter is compatible with 3 or 6 button controllers as well as 2 button Sega Master System controllers. I know because I have personally tested these 3 controllers. It is also known that this adapter should work with other Sega (genesis) branded controllers. I do not know if it will work with the SMS joystick but I am told it works with Genesis arcade sticks and the concept is the same.

or light gun, but at this point I have no reason to believe it not. I picked up an SMS light gun locally (score for $10) but I'm still not sure whether or not it works with the adapter. I only have a harmony cart for the 2 2600 games it works with and no supported 7800 games. The light phaser does cause firing animation on screen when pointed at it the screen, but I only have a crappy CRT to test (without svideo) and the RF on my 7800 is garbage. I'm waiting on confirmation from one buyer on whether or not it works for them but I still don't have a solid answer. 

EDIT:

SMS light guns do not work with the adapter in it's current state but I am working on adding the functionality. It will have a toggle switch to alternate between controllers and the light phaser. I am waiting on switches small enough to fit in the enclosure but will post my results when complete, probably by this next weekend. In the meantime, if you only want an adapter for controllers, please let me know. If you prefer to wait, I should the design worked out and have a few done by the weekend. It will be an option in the final design.

End Edit

Second EDIT:

Updated optional design added.

The adapter now fully supports SMS light phasers. I have added a switch to toggle between SMS and controller functions. Images below identify how to use the switch.

Light Phaser functionality will add $10 USD. See below for totals.

BEST Scenario for using Light Gun with multi cart game (Harmony tested, not Concerto or Dragonfly):

1) leave switch in "OFF" position and choose your game. Let it load.

2) move switch to "ON" position (which is the side the LG dongle is on) You can put a dot on that side with a marker if you want.

3) fire at screen. LG mode is on.

You must power cycle with the switch in the "OFF" position and the LG disconnected in order to use a controller.

PXL_20210523_145053068.thumb.jpg.5832adb4c2cfa0638dd1207b2f8ec38c.jpg

PXL_20210523_145101391.thumb.jpg.d93cc6ee355bda3d5b6d64004b1ce27d.jpg

END EDIT

If you are buying one right now, please be prepared for it to work with controllers and not the light gun.

It is also known that these will not work with a wireless 8bitdo controller and adapter. I'm sure it has something to do with the 5v line on the 7800 being another input line but there's nothing I can do about it.

I completed the adapter boards themselves but started to attach the cables before realizing that some of you may want a longer cord attached. I can provide up to 6 feet of length but the ones I have attached right now are about 6 inches. Please let me know if you prefer the cable itself to be longer than that or that will be the default.

As for cost: I am still new to selling anything here so I do not expect to receive anywhere near the cost of the machine produced ones of similar type, or even ones for sale in the store. I do however put everything together by hand and am still new to surface mount components. I think they look great though. You be the judge.

I am only selling up to 13 and will have no other batches after this. I made that many because it was economic to purchase in that large of a batch as opposed to making 2 for myself and having some leftover components.

Please send PM with request and I will let you know where to send payments. Goods and services are ok but if you want to leave a "tip", friends and family is great. (not an actual tip, btw, just not paying the fees to receive money).

I think $20 shipped in the US is reasonable, so that will be the cost. If you are outside of the US, we can discuss shipping but it may be cheaper to go other routes.

Sega to 7800 adapter with added SMS Light Phaser functionality is $30 total.

Please identify length & whether or not you want controller only, or controller + Light Gun capabilities.

PXL_20210506_195413836.thumb.jpg.fc8eab4fd9f518133e8fffe57a8ab004.jpgPXL_20210505_203336406_thumb_jpg_f6c9f15990522e1716abcb675dcf640f.jpg

Edited by Dopy25
Update info on SMS light phaser
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I still have a few of these left, ready to go for desired length and to add the light gun option.

The following links are not mine.

I was scrolling through ebay this morning and saw this ridiculousness:

image.thumb.png.dea886c647ff8c01e9a810697690326e.png

image.thumb.png.880ccc3b962760a0747a1af11f286310.png

These are not mine. Please see OP for mine.

Edited by Dopy25
Removed opinion
  • Confused 1

These have all been sold. Thank you too everyone who purchased. Feel free to contact me in the future if you need any help.

I look forward to more projects similar to this. I'm currently working on a few. 

Edited by Dopy25