Bikerbob

ESP 12E NODEMCU modem

As those of you on the BBSs know we have all been buying the Wimodem232 from the CBM guy.

I did as well.. but I also went and bought 2 12e NODEMCU boards and CV0025 FULL BREAKOUT 9pin ttl rs232 board.   These two together make the same thing.. EXCEPT THE FIRMWARE.

So.. options. well there are a few.. but guess what??? SO far none of them work perfectly.. OR I have to know how to build a Adrunio .ono  file for flashing.. or ? or?? GRRRRRR

So .. Just letting you all know.. I am working on it.  The total cost of this modem hardware wire was $15 canadian. The big expense being the CV0025 to get the full signal breakout.

zimodem board.jpg

• Like 1

Well I got my Wi232modem from the CBMstuff guy Jim.. 

I cannot get it to connect to my wifi  :(    Router not found.

James

Got it.. seems for that wifi unit I was TOO close to the router.  All good now.

Yeah, I also noticed that if you don't use the "list" it doesn't always seem to find it if you type in the SSID... then again, it just might be my cryptic SSID.

/s

/ps

Welcome to our Wi little Modem club member 232!

/s

So my build is now done.

Here are the pics.

The first is the original Avatex 1200 modem cleaned up so as to take the new parts in places. The 2nd is my TTL to RS232 (FULL breakout) 3rd is the ESP board soldered onto a project board. 4th is my soldering. 5th the back of the RS232/TTL 6th is the placement.. and 7th is it all wired up.

20210531_173401.jpg

20210602_163414.jpg

20210531_173414.jpg

20210531_173426.jpg

20210602_163429.jpg

20210602_163601.jpg

20210604_164007.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool! My first 1200 baud modem was an Avatex 1200. This brings back memories. Please post some pics of the LEDs in operation. :)

-JP

There ya go John,

I now have it working.. although the firmware I have on the module in the modem at the moment is not my favorite, I have now done something that will not allow me to program it. I need to wipe it back to factory I think, and then program again. Have to figure that out.  SD is send data and RD is receive data.. they are hard to see but RD is flashing in the picture.   RI is ring indicator, and although lit.. it really should only flash when an incomming call comes in. 

James

ledsmodem.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looks good! And I remember the Avatex 1200hc too. The hc stands for "Hayes Compatible". I had just the "Avatex 1200" which had the same case and buttons, just not the "hc". As you can guess, the "Avatex 1200" (without the hc) was not 100% Hayes Compatible. The "Avatex 1200hc" came out shortly after "The Avatex 1200".

Because the "Avatex 1200" was not 100% Hayes Compatible, a SysOp friend of mine called it the "Avayuck".hahahahahaha.  After using the Avatex 1200 on my BBS for a year or two, I upgraded to the "Avatex 2400hc". Same modem as this one, but it supported 2400 baud. I think the case was the same, but the color of the buttons may have been different. Also, the face plate said "Avatex 2400hc".

These were great modems because they were a lot cheaper than the "Hayes" and "USR" brands; but they still worked great.

The only thing I did not care for on these modems was the "Data/Voice" button. It was really easy to turn off Data and forget to switch it back on. BBS Express Pro! takes the modem off hook when you logon locally. So, you would get a dial tone blaring through the speaker. One way around that would be to select Voice on the "Data/Voice" button (I think the setting was "voice" when the button was pushed out). But if you forget to set it back to "Data" after finishing your local BBS session, no one can log onto the BBS until it's manually set back to "Data". There were certainly a few times I forgot to set it back to "Data" and no one could log onto the BBS for a few hours. ;-)

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka