Sign in to follow this  
nanochess

Sound Effect editor!

Posted (edited)

Hi all.

I was watching in delight how Brian Pudden wrote two new games in one month after getting into Intellivision Programming, and he posted on Intellivision Homebrew Games in Facebook.

Then Bill Stahl made a question in the topic "Has anyone written sound ‘tool’ that runs in inty basic? To manipulate the registers, and hear in real time. " and I thought it would be good to have such a tool.

So I've wrote a sound editor that allows you to write sound effects up to 20 tones long in one channel.

Each tone frequency, volume, noise and mix can be setup.

The manual of usage (also included at the start of the program):

1- Enter frequency (0-4095) Press Enter to complete or enter the four digits.

2- Enter volume (silence 0-15 high)

3- Enter noise value (high noise 0-31 low noise)

4- Enable/disable mix of noise

5- Increase length of sound effect by one tone.

6- Decrease length of sound effect by one tone.

7- Enter speed for playing tones (1 for changing tone on each video frame)

8- Toggle repeat (when playing it will keep repeating unless you disable it)

9- Start playing (BTW if you change data while it repeats, it will sound in real time!!)

0- Show IntyBASIC source code for playing the sound (you should do manually the speed with WAIT or the multitask method ON FRAME GOSUB)

Enjoy it!

shot0006.gif

shot0007.gif

shot0008.gif

effect.bas effect.rom

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

YES!!!!

I was wondering if such a program existed.....

Nano, you are the man!!!  I will definitely use this

EDIT: ok, so this clearly uses the intellivsiion controller pad in all it's numeric keypad glory.

I just can't get me windows laptop to have a consistent mapping so I cannot use this program in it's entirety.  So, are there any USB compatible controllers out there for intellivision....how does everyone here test and play intellivision games that use everyrthing on the original controller?

I can get some of it working and it is a GREAT program!

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 2

Typically the numbers and Enter key  (or Fn+Enter on my Macbook) replace the same in Intellivision controller.

1 hour ago, Mik's Arcade said:

I just can't get me windows laptop to have a consistent mapping so I cannot use this program in it's entirety.  So, are there any USB compatible controllers out there for intellivision....how does everyone here test and play intellivision games that use everyrthing on the original controller?

There's the keyboard hack file I include with PIDEjL, my own front-end for launching jzIntv.  I had to make a mapping for all the controls onto a keyboard without Function keys or an Escape key, which was the keyboard I had when I wrote FUBAR.

Here is a link to the Windows port of PIDEjL, if you care to try it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nanochess said:

Typically the numbers and Enter key  (or Fn+Enter on my Macbook) replace the same in Intellivision controller.

I wish....that just doesn't seem to work for my laptop.  I even tried using the functions keys in the SDK tool (i think it was F6 to force the numeric key pad)...

I'll try the PIDEjl hack and see if I can use it...

thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Corrected bug on handling sound effects with a length bigger than 8.

Please re-download the tool.

Also made a video (added to first post) showing it with the sound effects examples from the chapter 2 of my book Advanced Game Programming for Intellivision.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 1

Hey guys!

I am still trying to understand how to make sounds... I used this tool and was able to generate a sound I liked but when I put it in my code it just came out as a single tone.

I tried seperating with a for loop and still the same... I want it to play the sound where you hear the 2 tones one after the other.

here is the output: 

sound 2,1341,12
sound 4,,$38
sound 2,1119,12
sound 4,,$38

You need to insert a WAIT after each SOUND 4

And after you should do SOUND 2,,0 to turn off sound (notice the double comma)

Here is my sample, it just sounds like a single tone..

cls
wait

game:

if cont1.up then gosub sounds

goto game

sounds: procedure

sound 2,1341,12
sound 4,,$38
wait
sound 2,1119,12
sound 4,,$38
wait

sound 2,,0
end

Have you noticed you don't have any pause?

After SOUND 2,,0 add at least four WAIT to see it.

Is there something I need to add to the code to make the noise effect work? When I use the editor and add noise it makes a more static sound then when I add the code to my game its missing that noise..

here is the code I am using...

sound 2,1600,12
sound 4,0,$18

On 5/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, Mik's Arcade said:

Get a USB adapter for a real controller.

Due to the flexibility, i'd recommend the 2600-daptor D9 if you are interested in support for a single player adapter (or get two adapters if you want two players), or you can get a UPCI if you want two players using a single adapter and the UPCI supports a few additional things that the D9 doesn't.

Both work great with jzintv

There are a few other adapters out there, too.  It is just that these two are more flexible than the others.

12 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Get a USB adapter for a real controller.

Due to the flexibility, i'd recommend the 2600-daptor D9 if you are interested in support for a single player adapter (or get two adapters if you want two players), or you can get a UPCI if you want two players using a single adapter and the UPCI supports a few additional things that the D9 doesn't.

Both work great with jzintv

There are a few other adapters out there, too.  It is just that these two are more flexible than the others.

oh, this is great.  I will have to get this adapter and some controllers

thanks for the info

• Like 1