IGNORED

Ide card build issue.

RickyDean

Well, I removed the dead battery from the Benchmarq bq4847ymt, and after scraping some of the plastic/epoxy, found that it was a re-marketed bq4845. So TI as well as Dallas and the Chinese all did the same thing, re-marketed their old chips as battery backed rtc chips by adding to the old stock. Who da thunk it!! Who da thunk it!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Well, I removed the dead battery from the Benchmarq bq4847ymt, and after scraping some of the plastic/epoxy, found that it was a re-marketed bq4845. So TI as well as Dallas and the Chinese all did the same thing, re-marketed their old chips as battery backed rtc chips by adding to the old stock. Who da thunk it!! Who da thunk it!!!

To save lots of future battery grief, buy a bunch of the bq4845s and add your own battery holder and relevant circuitry on top. Makes for something a lot cleaner for long-term use than the borged bq4847s. . .

• Like 2

Well, now I have a question. Find two pictures, one of the pinout of a Dallas DS1251Y and a BQ4852- the 512k rtc that can be placed on the ide card (that's what this topic is all about, no). Can the Dallas chip be substituted by placing it into corresponding pins on the bq4852 rtc location, taking into account that the vcc would need to be run forward from the Dallas chip to the bq vcc pin for power?

bq4852.jpg

DS1251Y.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
spelling.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dhe said:

Bump for Ricky,

Did you finally win this one, or are you between rounds at the moment?

Between rounds, have to purchase some new chips and have to find the correct ones. The ten sram chips I ordered, are slightly larger and the pins don't quite match up without doubling them down under the body of the sram chip. Can be forced in place, but I will also need to order some logic chips, and need to get the right kind, at an affordable price. Been trying to get Bill's EVPC tested and been doing a lot of welding and fabricating body mount brackets for the frame upgrade I'm doing on my 05 Avalanche. So slowly getting there, had to work today on trying to repair my house AC, as it seems one of my copper pipe solder joints vibrated last season and opened a small leak, and I can't get it to seal, so tomorrow, I'll have to take a hour one way trip to Brunswick Ga, to get a new pipe made. The grandkids are coming next Saturday and got to keep them cool for the nights.

Understood, I've had no auto mechanic mentoring, so I'm pretty dumb on that side. My daily drive is a 96 ford ranger, sadly not the 4L or AWD. 250K - I think it needs a new front bearing seal which is pricey as the whole engine has to be pulled. And since your doing that, and it's never had a new drive chain....

Of course my wife complains about how much it will cost, but the cost doesn't touch the cost of a new ford ranger, the insurance on said, the tags, taxes and title, and it did just help me haul 150 pounds of chain link fence to the dump! ?

• Like 1

When I worked overseas, I bought a group of projects, and I am slowly working them. But the Avalanche was a recent aquire and it was 2wd, with a locked motor. I have a 4x4 Ford Excursion frame and it is very strong, so I made the decision to take 7.100 inches out of its wheelbase and ready it to move the body over, well on its way there. It will probably sport a diesel at some point, but will start with a 5.3 LS, 4L80E, and have the luxuries a fully dressed 05 Avalanche has. But enough of this idle boasting, let's get back to the ide cards of the day. Ha...ha.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, RickyDean said:

I have taken today and placed a coin battery socket on the bq4847, it is viable to fix the dead clock chips, same as the old Dallas clock chips on pc motherboards.

20231111bq4847 mod.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I now have this clock chip working in the Prototype Ide card I got from @Shift838. Had some initial problems with this card too, but found that I'd forgotten that I was supposed to run a wire from the VCC of the clock chip to another VCC point, and the DC to DC converter(an old one from 3 years ago) didn't produces quite enough to fire every thing up. When I put in one of my 5volt 1 Amp converters and plugged it in it started working. I was able to set the clock on this chip after detection.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well tonight I got another "Blue Generation" Ide card built that I had bought from @Shift838 and it didn't work, though it went further in the testing than other before. After checking and reflowing, same issue. Found it was a bad, probably, battery issue in the Chinese BQ4847. I replaced it with the one above and it works great. Happy thanksgiving all.

• Like 4

This card, mentioned above, will read from a drive that is already formatted, but when I try to write to the device, or to initialize it, the card writes incorrect data on first sector. @F.G. Kaal or @Shift838, can you point the best place to start looking for the corruption issue. The 1st picture is what is is doing, and the 2nd is what it should do. I just reflowed the whole card again, but no change. 

20231126_230004.jpg

20231126_230238.jpg

1 hour ago, RickyDean said:

This card, mentioned above, will read from a drive that is already formatted, but when I try to write to the device, or to initialize it, the card writes incorrect data on first sector. @F.G. Kaal or @Shift838, can you point the best place to start looking for the corruption issue. The 1st picture is what is is doing, and the 2nd is what it should do. I just reflowed the whole card again, but no change. 

This is not the card that I just fixed and sent back to you, correct?

@Shift838 and @F.G. Kaal, I got the IDE working right. I flowed a bit more solder around the 74F543 chips and the bottom rows of the 74als245's as that seemed to be where the data lines travelled. This seems to fix the issue as I went in and initialized IDE1 and then came in and read the name and it was correct. @Shift838 the one you worked on for me, it quit after a couple of days of use, I tried reflowing the sram and got it came loose, so I had bought some engineering samples of the original style sram and installed one, the lights come on and off, and but it stops at the sram check, so I have to focus there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickyDean said:

@Shift838 and @F.G. Kaal, I got the IDE working right. I flowed a bit more solder around the 74F543 chips and the bottom rows of the 74als245's as that seemed to be where the data lines travelled. This seems to fix the issue as I went in and initialized IDE1 and then came in and read the name and it was correct. @Shift838 the one you worked on for me, it quit after a couple of days of use, I tried reflowing the sram and got it came loose, so I had bought some engineering samples of the original style sram and installed one, the lights come on and off, and but it stops at the sram check, so I have to focus there.

i found the best way to get the SRAM soldered good is if you have like a knife tip.  like these:

Fielect 10pcs Soldering Iron Tips Replacement Pure Copper Solder Tip Welding Equipment for Soldering Silver 900M-T-K Knife Edge - Amazon.com

i will get a leg soldered on one of the corners to keep it in place.  These SRAMs barely fit on the footprint, the footprint should have been bigger.  If you have solder paste then use some solder paste out of a syringe over the pins, if not you will have to use some flux on the pins and melt some solder on the knife edge tip.

Tilt the card up, where the pins of the sram are at an angle going down, put the knife edge on the mins and drag it across.  verify with a microscope of no solder bridges and a good solder joint.  Repeat on other side.

Understood, I'll look into that. I just put mine through some more paces and it is doing good, partitioned an 8gig CF into 4 partitions, initialized each one, looked at each through the sector editor, rebooted went into DM created a Dir and copied files. Rebooted and ran DU2k from the IDE drive. So I'm happy. I did go ahead on both of these and placed the CUI DC to Dc converters on them. Mine is working good with that and hardly no heat. The part you are using on your IDE's, P7805-2000R-S

• Like 3