IGNORED

Amazon Luna on the VCS? Anybody tried that?

justclaws

Hi all,
I have been using Google Stadia in Chrome on the new VCS, but I cannot try Amazon Luna.
It seems that Amazon Luna (in beta release) is only available in the USA so far, so I can't try it.

https://chromeunboxed.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-amazon-luna-cloud-gaming/

I wondered if anybody has signed up, or can sign-up, and try it, because it looks better than Stadia,
in that it will have a bigger range of AAA titles available, for only $5.99 a month, compared to $9.99
and having to buy the big titles just like buying them individually like on PC and other consoles.

It seems it should work fine, because it can run as a web-app in Google Chrome specifically now.

The sign-up page is here, in case you are even eligible and want to try it.
https://www.amazon.com/luna/landing-page

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Google, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, in the way they're eating up markets
and spitting them out. Most particularly I dislike Google's habit of killing services and apps so often,
but hey, it's a reality. More and more services and infrastructure is going onto the cloud streaming.

I tried this today and I got as far as logging in and selecting a game (Panzer Dragoon Remake) when I received a message that I was attempting to use an unsupported OS. Apparently, while it will work through Chrome, that is limited to Windows, Mac and Android devices. Assuming that somebody running in PC Mode could get it to work from Windows but it looks like a no go in Atari OS. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

I tried this today and I got as far as logging in and selecting a game (Panzer Dragoon Remake) when I received a message that I was attempting to use an unsupported OS. Apparently, while it will work through Chrome, that is limited to Windows, Mac and Android devices. Assuming that somebody running in PC Mode could get it to work from Windows but it looks like a no go in Atari OS. 

Will pc mode chrome allow plugins to change the user-agent?

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 3:18 AM, leech said:

Will pc mode chrome allow plugins to change the user-agent?

I think you meant to type AtariOS mode Chrome? The answer is yes, plugins can be installed.
Chrome even syncs with your account if you set it up. (A Google account is not required for use.)

In PC-Mode, the machine is running as a normal PC, with your normal O/S so the question is moot.

A plugin could be the answer, as it seems they just don't support Linux yet; probably an oversight.
Not supporting Linux isn't going to endear Amazon to me, either. ?

10 hours ago, justclaws said:

I think you meant to type AtariOS mode Chrome? The answer is yes, plugins can be installed.
Chrome even syncs with your account if you set it up. (A Google account is not required for use.)

In PC-Mode, the machine is running as a normal PC, with your normal O/S so the question is moot.

A plugin could be the answer, as it seems they just don't support Linux yet; probably an oversight.

Ha, yes that's what I meant.  I'm betting it's not an oversight.  Companies are just assholes.  It took a long time for Amazon and Netflix to work under Linux, and they still don't support 4k streaming or anything, you have to install Edge for that apparently... HBO Now would refuse to work under Linux as well.  Geforce Now only added support a short time ago (I did test that out in AtariOS, and it worked).  So it's quite likely that Amazon needs to do something, or we need to 'cheat' with a User-Agent.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 3:21 AM, justclaws said:

That's funny since Amazon Fire TV and other streaming devices use embedded Linux but their services won't support the desktop version...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...