IGNORED

Scored a Sega Master System for 20$ today

I was snooping around some local garage sales this morning, and found something quite interesting at one.

They had a box labelled 'Sega Master System - 20$'. I had a peek inside the box and it did seem to have quite a fair bit of goodies (at least a lot for 20$!)

I have never owned (or even played) a Sega before but this had 4 games, two controllers, a light gun, and it looks like all the systems connections in the box. They even still had the systems owners manual tucked inside.

I am pretty sure I will get at least 20$ worth of entertainment out of this!

20210508_095108[1].jpg

• Like 11

20 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Nice score, congrats!  None of those are particularly good games, but it's a great console.  I still have mine hooked up, lots of fun gems in the library.  It has lot of very unique and entertaining titles.

I did kind of notice that as well. Golf might be fun to play a bit, but the rest do not get me super excited to try out. I will have to snoop on eBay and kijiji now and see if I can find some more game cartridges.

• Like 1

You got a damn good deal on that thing. The Light Phaser alone is worth $20. I have been thinking of getting (a Japanese) one myself, but the system alone costs over 20000 yen here and is actually more expensive than the SuperGrafx, if you can believe that, as the Japanese Master System was produced in extremely small numbers and is relatively rare.

Don't forget that it has a built-in game, as well! There were a few, I think, so you could end up with Snail Maze or something really cool (maybe), but I'm not sure of all of the titles. Get the Aleste games, R-Type, a PAL copy of Sonic 1 (COMPLETELY different from the 16-bit version and quite excellent!), Sonic 2, Choplifter, and maybe a few more. Games are region free, so import as many PAL versions as you want, but Mark III carts don't fit because of the different shape. Not sure about the 50Hz/60Hz thing, but I think all PAL games should all run at 60Hz natively (maybe), even on an NTSC-U system. I am curious to know what the built-in game is, though!

Also get the HD Retrovision Genesis 2 cable with the Genesis converter (converter is important! You NEED it or it won't work!) so you can take advantage of its native glorious RGB video.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Does it work?  Hook it up yet?

It does seem to work great, with one minor qualifier.

For some reason the console does not seem to want to work on channel 3, all I get is static-y rolling black screen. Though with using channel 4, it has a great picture.

Which is a pretty minor inconvenience to flip channels when changing between playing vintage consoles.

I have not tried the light gun yet. I am pretty impressed it has two games built in. Hang On is quite a lot of fun! I have not tried Safari Hunt yet though.

6 minutes ago, Tavi said:

I am pretty impressed it has two games built in. Hang On is quite a lot of fun! I have not tried Safari Hunt yet though.

Behold the glory of Sega! It's a nice system with a lot of great titles. Keep in mind that the games also run natively on your convenient Sega Game Gear with the appropriate adaptor, as well.

Well, actually, it's not just a nice system, it's the Best system. It's there on the box, so you know it has to be true.

AAJ4cCAABqF8.thumb.jpg.5636a4491e3da4cd0ce98e32b518163c.jpg

• Like 1

It will be something new to me.

As a kid and up until now, I have never played on or even known anyone that had a Sega. It is a completely new console to me.

I have played some of the Sonic games as ports (mostly on the Playstation 2/3; they have some nice Sega compilations!) but never on the original equipment.

It should be fun to give some of these Sega games a try!

5 minutes ago, Tavi said:

I have played some of the Sonic games as ports (mostly on the Playstation 2/3; they have some nice Sega compilations!) but never on the original equipment.

I don't know how often the 8-bit Sonic games are rereleased, but it's nowhere near as often as the 16-bit ones, so you've probably never played them. US version of Sonic 1 is incredibly rare, so get the PAL version, as the only difference is literally just a sticker that they pasted over the PAL barcode to give it a different barcode for the US version. I do not believe Sonic 2 never got released in the USA and I don't think either neither of them got released at all in Japan unless you count the inferior Game Gear versions. I might be wrong, though.

Growing up i remember the people who had the master system were very intriguing.  (to me anyway).  it was like where did you get that?  I mean I guess duh probably like toys r us or something, but i remember it being quite exotic. same with the tg16 when i got to high school.  i only knew one person who's brother had it (that i wound up trading my gameboy for). Oddly, my best friend since high school (in my 40s now) told me JUST THE OTHER DAY he had a turbografx back in the day.  I was like what!? 

7 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

You got a damn good deal on that thing. The Light Phaser alone is worth $20. I have been thinking of getting (a Japanese) one myself, but the system alone costs over 20000 yen here and is actually more expensive than the SuperGrafx, if you can believe that, as the Japanese Master System was produced in extremely small numbers and is relatively rare.

Don't forget that it has a built-in game, as well! There were a few, I think, so you could end up with Snail Maze or something really cool (maybe), but I'm not sure of all of the titles. Get the Aleste games, R-Type, a PAL copy of Sonic 1 (COMPLETELY different from the 16-bit version and quite excellent!), Sonic 2, Choplifter, and maybe a few more. Games are region free, so import as many PAL versions as you want, but Mark III carts don't fit because of the different shape. Not sure about the 50Hz/60Hz thing, but I think all PAL games should all run at 60Hz natively (maybe), even on an NTSC-U system. I am curious to know what the built-in game is, though!

Also get the HD Retrovision Genesis 2 cable with the Genesis converter (converter is important! You NEED it or it won't work!) so you can take advantage of its native glorious RGB video.

My copy of Power Strike (Aleste) is PAL but it plays exactly like the NTSC version.

15 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

My copy of Power Strike (Aleste) is PAL but it plays exactly like the NTSC version.

Yeah, I think most of the games are completely region-free, with the Mark III's different carts being the closest thing the system has to a region lock. It does make getting a ROM cart for the Mark III or Japanese Master System kind of annoying, though, which is too bad, as SG-1000 and Mark III games are expensive and the Japanese Master System is the single best Mark III variant. You could make an excellent case for SG-1000 games being best played on an actual SG-1000 because of the color palette thing, though.

20 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Does that PAL version still have the FM encoded within it?

And I still need to pick up a copy of Bank Panic for my SMS. Not sure if there is a difference between the card version or cart version of the game as I've seen it under both formats?

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Does that PAL version still have the FM encoded within it?

And I still need to pick up a copy of Bank Panic for my SMS. Not sure if there is a difference between the card version or cart version of the game as I've seen it under both formats?

I don't see why it wouldn't. Though I dunno since I only have a PBC with PSG sound.

the hyperkin megadrive clone has pretty decent composite out for sega master system on crt.  definitely nicer than stock genesis.   with hdmi out for some reason you need to switch it to PAL and the games run slow.  does anyone know if that clone is pretty accurate for sega master system games (and genesis too?).  i haven't noticed any difference (except for a cleaner signal) in gameplay, but i'm not very attuned to things like that.

Awesome deal! Glad yours works, the console is in my experience highly unreliable. The sonic games are higher resolution versions of the game gear games (may be other minor differences, I don't know) I played a lot of populous on here till I got the snes version. The power base is how I'd play since I never could seem to find a working console.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:27 AM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I don't see why it wouldn't. Though I dunno since I only have a PBC with PSG sound.

Some games like Wonderboy III don't play their FM soundtracks when the hardware is present, even when the code is still in the rom.

I don't think this list is entirely accurate, but it might be the best one in English:

https://segaretro.org/FM_Sound_Unit#Compatibility

On 5/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, Tavi said:

I was snooping around some local garage sales this morning, and found something quite interesting at one.

They had a box labelled 'Sega Master System - 20$'. I had a peek inside the box and it did seem to have quite a fair bit of goodies (at least a lot for 20$!)

I have never owned (or even played) a Sega before but this had 4 games, two controllers, a light gun, and it looks like all the systems connections in the box. They even still had the systems owners manual tucked inside.

I am pretty sure I will get at least 20$ worth of entertainment out of this!

:) :thumbsup:

Anthony..

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 2:12 AM, Black_Tiger said:

Some games like Wonderboy III don't play their FM soundtracks when the hardware is present, even when the code is still in the rom.

I don't think this list is entirely accurate, but it might be the best one in English:

https://segaretro.org/FM_Sound_Unit#Compatibility

Yes, this is why the FM board from Tim (the same that does the NES RGB) has a setting for "FM Japan" so games that are in PAL version and won't play the FM soundtrack will play it.