IGNORED

If you could only own ONE or the other, the 65XE, or the XEGS?

BIGHMW

If you could only own one or the other which one of these consoles would it be?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only own one or the other which one of these consoles would it be?

• Atari 65XE Computer
    • Atari XEGS (XE Game System)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Both the Atari 65XE Computer and the XEGS (a.k.a. XE Game System) both had 64K of RAM.

But if you could own only one or the other, which would it be???

The 65XE:

Arguments for the 65XE:

1. Everything is all self-contained, keyboard, buttons, controller ports, peripherals ports, you name it.

2. No known issues involving compatibility with most multicarts, such as the AVG Cart, the Ultimate Cart, and others

3. 5-pin Interface for optional 12-foot composite stereo video cord (available through Best Electronics right here https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power guide.htm#Composite)

Arguments against the 65XE:

1: The only one I can see is the rear-loading cartridge port, in which requires an extra 3 inches of room on your TV tray (like my Table-Mate)

The XEGS, a.k.a. XE Game System

Arguments for the XEGS:

1. Since this is basically a game console with computer I/O ports expanded memory upgrades and readily-available drives and peripherals for the Atari 8-bit computers will work with the XEGS as well as any 400/800/XL/XE computer

2. Top-loading cartridge port keeps this unit tidy and compact compared to the 65XE with its rear-loading cartridge port, there is less space with the slightly-smaller XEGS console than the 65XE computer.

3. Concealed controller and keyboard ports make for tidy look with no out-sticking plugs

Arguments against the XEGS:

1. Very rare, as from what I read only 100,000 units were ever produced before its discontinuation in 1992

2. Certain functions only available on the attachable separate keyboard, which takes up more space when clipped onto the front of the XEGS.

3. Issues involving uploads of certain games on multicarts (sometimes it bypasses the multicart altogether and accesses the built-in Missile Command program) could pose a problem (it does that on my Ultimate Cart)

So now it's up to you to decide, now many of us like myself already own both units so I don't count, this poll is mainly for those who only want ONE or the other of them.

i really like the XEGS.  I think it depends on your goals.  I have one with U1mb and Sophia Rev C and a 3:4 HDMI LCD.  I have another I just picked up.  Likely socket and replace the Ram, U1mb and Sophia 2, USB keyboard interface.  I feel it has more options.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/aki-usb-keyboard-interface-for-atari-8-bit-computers

The wireless USB makes a nice add on.  I have a wireless PS2 on my original but it's flakey.

Just my 2 cents.

I’ve used an XEGS as my daily driver for a decade. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced the multi-cart issue and the inadvertent loading of missile command. I have an unocart and an AVG cart. Which games cause this? (I’m not doubting you, I’m genuinely curious).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of consolized home computers generally and the XEGS seems like a particularly pointless one, launching at the time it did to such an underwhelming reception.

That said, they're both basically the same thing under the hood - and indeed will play the same games - so it's really just a case of whether you want something that looks like a miniaturized ST or a Fisher Price first console.

I'd still be thinking of an 800XL though. ?

4 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

I'm not a fan of consolized home computers generally and the XEGS seems like a particularly pointless one, launching at the time it did to such an underwhelming reception.

That said, they're both basically the same thing under the hood - and indeed will play the same games - so it's really just a case of whether you want something that looks like a miniaturized ST or a Fisher Price first console.

I'd still be thinking of an 800XL though. ?

I assume the Fisher Price first console is the XEGS with its pastel colored function buttons and the miniaturized ST is the 65XE.

1 hour ago, 8bitguy1 said:

I’ve used an XEGS as my daily driver for a decade. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced the multi-cart issue and the inadvertent loading of missile command. I have an unocart and an AVG cart. Which games cause this? (I’m not doubting you, I’m genuinely curious).

I use the Ultimate Cart. (some of) The games that get bypassed on it to the Missile Command built-in port are:

Centipede (Glenn The 5200 Man transfer)

Tempest Xtreem Demo

Pac-Man Arcade (the .xex version, the .car version of that same port works though)

There are a few (maybe a couple) others, I just can't remember which ones off the top of my head, is it my multicart or is it a program upload issue???

I'd still be thinking of an 800XL though. [emoji2]

To each their own of course, but I think the XEGS is the sexiest console ever produced. By anyone. My favourite 8bit is the 800 followed by the 800XL but to the original posters question the external keyboard and space inside the machine made it my daily driver and I like it far better than my 65xe. It also doesn’t feel like a console when you attach a PS/2 keyboard to it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

To each their own of course, but I think the XEGS is the sexiest console ever produced. By anyone. My favourite 8bit is the 800 followed by the 800XL but to the original posters question the external keyboard and space inside the machine made it my daily driver and I like it far better than my 65xe. It also doesn’t feel like a console when you attach a PS/2 keyboard to it.

Well, I'll admit the XEGS DOES look kinda sleek, even though there are some 5200 owners who may have something to say about what the sexiest console is, as I happen to also own a 2600, 5200, 7800 as well as the XEGS and 65XE BOTH.

I just wish that some of the 5200-only games currently out (like Ryan Witmer's Intellidiscs, Castle Blast, all the Mean Hamster titles and also 5200 Tempest) will be ported to the 8-bit soon so I can make the XEGS my primary unit.

37 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

This goes out to all of our fellow Atarians north of the border, including @8bitguy1, they just might remember seeing this same ad back in the mid-80s (I first saw it on vacation here in Port Townsend while looking for a place to move to, in which we eventually did in July 1987), I first saw this ad on either CBC or CTV back in November 1986, while staying at the Port Townsend Motel (now Port Townsend Inn).

Edited by BIGHMW
I forgot to post the video OOPS!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Arguments against the XEGS:

1. Very rare, as from what I read only 100,000 units were ever produced before its discontinuation in 1992

As I understand it, 100k units was the first year, not in total.

As far as today, the GS more valuable and collectable and the external keyboard adds function beyond the 65.  Difficult to say for sure though.  It is case dependent as to which is preferred.

Edited by Sugarland

Honestly, I wouldn't own either. The XLs are typically much better machines in terms of quality, keyboard feel, the better cartridge slot placement, etc.

However, if I could only own one Atari 8-bit, and an XL wasn't an option, and it had to be one of those two machines, I guess I'd probably pick the XEGS, assuming it came with the light gun and all it's original accessories. My decision would mostly be based on the much better cartridge slot placement.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I can only imagine the cartridge stack BBS owners had towering over their XL's in the day.

What am I missing @Mazzspeed? Why would they have had a towering cartridge stack?

I mean, I guess some could've had SpartDOS X and an R-Time 8, but most were probably running long before those products came out and many were probably running on cartridgeless systems.

9 hours ago, bfollowell said:

What am I missing @Mazzspeed? Why would they have had a towering cartridge stack?

I mean, I guess some could've had SpartDOS X and an R-Time 8, but most were probably running long before those products came out and many were probably running on cartridgeless systems.

I read this post a little while back and it just got me thinking.

I just find the top mounted location a little awkward and prefer the cleaner look of a rear mounted cartridge.

XEGS.  I have (and grew up with) 400, 800, 800xl's.  800xl always my favorite. Never liked the look (or keyboard feel) of the XE computers, which my best friend had in the late 80s. But NOW, I do wish I'd picked up an XEGS when they got discontinued and discounted. Just because it's a little different....different look and a game console.

10 hours ago, Bee said:

One of my XEGS wall mounted.  The LCD is meant to go in front of the console.  My son wanted it left visible he likes the Tech look.

IMG_6583.thumb.jpg.ca67ec18f45653c11a4f483e938395d8.jpg

Question - what game is running on the screenshot??

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

I read this post a little while back and it just got me thinking.

I just find the top mounted location a little awkward and prefer the cleaner look of a rear mounted cartridge.

OK, I gotcha. Yeah, I'm sure there were some that operated with those, but I came from early back, and I doubt most of the BBSes I frequented had such equipment. Probably just a stack of floppy drives and that was it. But, yeah, if they had all that, then yeah, it would've definitely been a leaning tower!

@eegad It is a Program called Fishbowl, me and a friend wrote is back in the day.  It simulates fish as PMGs.  Andy was a friend back in High School.  He got me involved with programming.  I spent a few years recovering the original code. 

Thank you 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 9:25 PM, BIGHMW said:

This goes out to all of our fellow Atarians north of the border, including @8bitguy1, they just might remember seeing this same ad back in the mid-80s (I first saw it on vacation here in Port Townsend while looking for a place to move to, in which we eventually did in July 1987), I first saw this ad on either CBC or CTV back in November 1986, while staying at the Port Townsend Motel (now Port Townsend Inn).

I have a vague recollection of this.  I remember being so excited when I first saw/read about the XEGS and how new software and games were coming.  I thought (as a 13 year old) that this was gonna extend the life of my 800XL for a long time.  It sort of did, I mean Toys'r'us continued to carry the games...long after the local computer stores reduced or stopped their Atari 8bit sales.  I remember not too long after seeing 65XEs in the discount bin at Zellers.. (I think it was Zellers could have been Woolco though).  Wish I'd have bought some....  

On 5/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, Bee said:

@eegad It is a Program called Fishbowl, me and a friend wrote is back in the day.  It simulates fish as PMGs.  Andy was a friend back in High School.  He got me involved with programming.  I spent a few years recovering the original code. 

Thank you 

SWEET. :) 

Got a ROM (or other download) of that you wanna share with us? Here on AA you know it will never get lost and the code will always be readily available.