IGNORED

What game led you buy SNES at the time?

I worked in a hotel at the time and a workmate was trying to sell his SNES together with a bunch of games for £30. Nobody wanted it so I bit his hand off.

Still have the thing and back to playing it again after having it recapped. It's battered and bruised from all the post pub staff room seasons we all used to enjoy. All adds character though, it looks the way it should after the rough treatment it had. So many happy memories, post pub/club back then was staff room SNES time!

Stupidly I sold the more valuable games for it a few years back but I'm gradually trying to pick some of those back up if I see half decent prices. Some are just crazy asking prices now though.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The game that made me most excited about buying a SNES was Final Fight. I was upset about Guy (my favorite character) being cut from the game, but I quickly got over it when I finally had the console and game in-hand. I played Final Fight until my fingers bled! Lol! 

Edit: I also forgot to mention Magic Sword, Super Castlevania, and Street Fighter II. Ah yes, those were the days! 

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I didn’t buy a SNES as much as I received it for Christmas. There were Super Mario World commercials on TV that made me froth at the mouth.

My parents had gotten us a NES for Christmas in 1987 so I guess they figured it was just a logical thing to follow that up with the newer console when it came out. And Super Mario World remains a favorite of mine to this day.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

Hilariously enough, Sim City.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, Tanooki said:

@Cebus Capucinis still one of the best damn versions of the original classic Sim City though, despite being stuck using a controller too which says a lot.

Sim City on the SNES is an absolute classic and whoever forgot to include it on the SNES Classic Mini should be sent right to jail.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Sim City on the SNES is an absolute classic and whoever forgot to include it on the SNES Classic Mini should be sent right to jail.

I'd argue that would be EA being a-holes since they own Maxis.  And yeah, them if a company could go to jail, they'd need death row considering their decades of abuses. :)

Best SimCity SNES guide site ever: https://peterthedj.com/simcity-snes/   Enjoy

• 1 month later...

I got my SNES because of Super Smash TV. It was a really popular game in the local arcade at the time and I was hooked. My parents bought Super Smash TV for me for Christmas and then said I could rent a SNES anytime I wanted to play it. Really disappointed at the time. Ended up saving up some money and buying a SNES the first chance I could. Still have it and a small library of games.

• Like 2

I wasn’t enamored with the launch titles initially for the SNES. I think at this point in time for me I was Super Mario Bro’d out.

I rented the system once or twice as new titles came along… Super Castlevania, Final Fight and Gradius to name a few. It’s when Super Ghouls n Ghosts was shortly released that I caved and purchased one.

I was a big Capcom fanboy circa this era. Might’ve picked up UN Squadrun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it was Final Fight and probably Pilotwings.

I had to sell my Genesis system and games to get it though, due to my parents' strict 'one system at a time' policy.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed in the system and regretted the upgrade.

Final Fight was lacking in many ways (very unfinished feel, only a few characters onscreen at a time, different music style and sound effects, and the obvious like missing stages and Guy).

Pilotwings looked good in screenshots, but once you saw it running onscreen the 3D Mode 7 effects were actually quite ugly and a flashing mess of pixels from a distance.

The games felt limited.  Short.  Missing elements.  Not quite the leap forward over the Genesis that the press was claiming.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

Hilariously enough, Sim City.

Sim City is a classic and dope on the SNES and thats another game that influenced me.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:55 PM, Nokia3310 said:

WWF Super Wrestlemania. 

Another one that influenced me and it was a very dope Wrestling game at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a no-brainer for me to purchase the SNES after many years of enjoying my NES back in the day. My favorite game on the system was Super Mario World (and still is today), but another game I really enjoyed was Donkey Kong Country. The graphics really "wowed" me, so again it was a no brainer to purchase that as soon as it was available. Of course another big point in the system's favor was the Final Fantasy series, which again, is enjoyed to this day. It never gets old (in particular Final Fantasy 6 (3). 

I'm happily enjoying the system more so than my Xbox One, which I rapidly feel is going by the wayside soon to make room for more classic gaming fun.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

None at the time.  Was enamored with the Amiga.  While looking up Tengen Tetris videos, saw one for the SNES Tetris 3, promptly drooled, and promptly bought a recapped SNES Jr. Simcity and SimCity 2k were nice to get...  Starfox is said to run faster on the Jr, and that's back when 3D was in its infancy and every CPU cycle counted... Super Metroid is arguably the best sequel of all time; the first was "okay", later ones "meh", but SNES Super Metroid floored me.  (I generally prefer sci-fi over fantasy, yet for the original NES Zelda seemed more of a fun quest than Metroid (which was decent but Zelda just seemed more solid...)  On the SNES however, it's by far the other way around - Super Metroid was far superior. )

Edited by CommodoreDecker

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Our first SNES was bought solely on the legacy of the NES with the promise of twice the bits and super power and it did not disappoint. 

We got NES because everyone had one in '90 and it was pure joy. We got SNES in christmas '92 because NES was so great. We got N64 on PAL-release because SNES was even greater.

I did not buy the GC on PAL-release because of N64...

However, I bought the GC a few years after the release when everything was cheap and it's my second favorite Nintendo console behind the SNEZZZZ.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the time that I didn't buy an SNES(that would happen months later), Super Mario World at a friends house, along with F-Zero wowed the hell out of me, I had to have the console. I saw the Bowser fight, the scaling blew my mind at the time (I hadn't seen Namco's arcade stuff a few years earlier with it's scaling, outside of Assault, but playing Legend of Valkyrie finally years later, it's an amazing game with lots of cool graphical features). Had never seen anything like that on home consoles before, the NES definitely couldn't do anything like that, and from what I played of the Genesis at friend's houses who had one, saw nothing like that on there either.

Fast forward to 2022, I now own exactly 200 SNES/SFC games, still a desire to get more of what is affordable still that I consider good. That console just absolutely clicked with me the moment I first tried it out at that friend's house (RIP buddy, wish you were still here, we'd have to get together and play the SNES once more. He and his brother were/are high school friends of mine)

• Like 1

@Bloodreign  I know the guy who has been documenting this thing since it started, been at it I think 5 years now and sits over on VGS.  It has quite a bit of good notes, some good info, personal stories a bit, and some odd opinions at times, but this page has a ranking of every single US SNES title that had been released (not including the exercise bike junk and 2in1 carts outside of SMAS+DrMario&Tetris which are.)

He's down to like the last under 10 games left to go and pops up a new one daily.  Check out the SNES Rankings it's worth it, maybe you'll find a reason to look into a game or not.

http://www.snesrankings.com/

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:05 AM, Tanooki said:

@Bloodreign  I know the guy who has been documenting this thing since it started, been at it I think 5 years now and sits over on VGS.  It has quite a bit of good notes, some good info, personal stories a bit, and some odd opinions at times, but this page has a ranking of every single US SNES title that had been released (not including the exercise bike junk and 2in1 carts outside of SMAS+DrMario&Tetris which are.)

He's down to like the last under 10 games left to go and pops up a new one daily.  Check out the SNES Rankings it's worth it, maybe you'll find a reason to look into a game or not.

http://www.snesrankings.com/

This list is Amazing!

I can't believe someone had the time (or patience) to do such a thing!,

BUT,   It seems to only go to Game Number 6!   (I can't find out what his number 1 game on the system is?!)

Now maybe it's because it's a work in progress...I can hit the button for games #76-#1, and then PREVIOUS and NEXT Buttons work until they don't,  stopping at Game # 6.  From here I can't scroll down any further and NEXT no longer works,...Unless it's because he's still moving those reviews from imgur or something...

Still it's Incredibly Impressive!  He's very detailed and his opinions sometimes line up with my own quite nicely,  so I'll keep checking back.

@Tanooki THX for the info!

Edited by GoldLeader
If only I'd read Tanooki's post more carefully...