IGNORED

What game led you buy SNES at the time?

There wasn't really just one game.  I had been getting the Nintendo magazines since the earlier fun club days, so while I was well up on Super Mario World, if you know the old NP magazine they covered basically most the titles up to into 1992.  So while I couldn't hear some of the insane quality to come, I could see it.  Gradius, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Final Fight, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Super Castlevania, sports stuff like the seemingly photo-like Waialae Golf, and some others.  It just was a cobbling of all of what that offered vs what the NES did which was a huge difference, but also to the surprise and shell shock to Sega fanboys before the console wars started, how the Genesis fell quite short too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Here in my country I also followed the magazines of the time such as Acao Games Supergame and GamePower and it was in one of them that I saw the SNES graphics of the first games of its launch and there was the Super R-Type with all the power that the console could offer.
My eyes did not believe what they were seeing with those beautiful graphics that differentiated it from the Genesis / Megadrive that I had. It was only in 93 that I was able to buy the console and soon tried to provide the cartridge to my delight.
Of course, I was also surprised by the following games as they came out.
The fever of that generation was Street Fighter 2, but for me what captivated me for the acquisition was this beautiful shooting game.

sr.jpeg

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2

I never bought one back in the 90's, but I did play Street Fighter 2 with friends who owned them.  That would have been the game, but I guess it wasn't good enough - lol.  Fast forward and I did eventually buy a SNES in like . . . 2016 or somewhere around there.  I think the thing that finally convinced me is that the Super Everdrive exists - does that count?

Interestingly, I played through both Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid in emulation before ever having owned a SNES.  I don't think I've played a game on the system that I've enjoyed more than those before or after.  Maybe Link to the Past?  In fact, my favorite part of owning the SNES has been the Super Gameboy.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I never bought one back in the 90's, but I did play Street Fighter 2 with friends who owned them.  That would have been the game, but I guess it wasn't good enough - lol.  Fast forward and I did eventually buy a SNES in like . . . 2016 or somewhere around there.  I think the thing that finally convinced me is that the Super Everdrive exists - does that count?

Interestingly, I played through both Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid in emulation before ever having owned a SNES.  I don't think I've played a game on the system that I've enjoyed more than those before or after.  Maybe Link to the Past?  In fact, my favorite part of owning the SNES has been the Super Gameboy.

As an NES owner in college,  I couldn't wait to upgrade and also buy a SEGA Genesis and Nintendo SNES.   I got both in 1992 IIRC.  I did have a friend rave about Super Mario World and told me I Had to get Street Fighter II, which I did, having no idea (at that point in time) what it was.  We would get the arcade game on campus later haha :O)

Anyway,  the kicker here is that even though I had bought them, it wasn't for a specific game, ...but that same friend of mine later told me about the MGH (Multi Game Hunter), which allowed you to copy carts onto 3.5 inch floppy disks,...And I bought one,   so my SNES and Genesis had an influx of new games...So...Kind of like wongojack's Everdrive comment except I got it later...And it was a lot more work than an Everdrive...And I still collected a lot of carts then and now ;)

• Like 7

I never really got into SNES. I was constantly being pressured by my parents and grandparents to grow up and throw away all my baby games (meaning videogames) and get jobs and stuff. I was still rather fixated on the Amiga at the time - but slowly gravitating toward a real PC.

Had I gotten a SNES then it would've been because of PilotWings, F-Zero, and StarFox.

I love SHMUPS but didn't really discover them and get into them until PC. Tubular Worlds, Tyrian, and Raptor were among the first I played to any length. Surely SHMUPS were in the arcades way before then? Yup. They were simply too difficult and my playtimes were in the single-digit minutes.

• Like 4

Street Fighter II, I think.

I didn't really get into the SNES in real time, as it launched right around the time in my life when I was getting into other things, like music, girls, and just starting to drive.  But I remember playing the crap out of SFII so I could be better when I when to the arcades to play.  Other than that one, the only games I bought for it (back then) were Shadowrun, Lord of the Rings, and Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures

• Like 5

Mario Paint. Free form drawing, animation, and music- on a console? The closest thing I knew of was Atari's 'video graffiti' mode on Surround, and 'Play Me' on one of the keypad games. Mario Paint was leagues better.

Then I got Zelda, and never touched Mario Paint again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For us, we got it when it first came out. (I was 12). it came with Super Mario World and we also bought Super CastleVania IV at the same time. Turned out SCV4 was a little too easy but SMW was wonderful. 

(I didn't know it yet, but I had actually bought it for Street Fighter II Turbo.)

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I was getting out of console games when the Super Nintendo came out. I had moved to the Game Boy, and by that time I was starting to enter high school, and didn't really play a lot of games anymore (except the occasional computer game).

Later, I bought the SNES specifically because I liked Super Mario Brothers, and F-Zero.

• Like 1

I was a huge fan of the NES, so I was gonna get the SNES no matter what—I just assumed it would have the same kind of library (including sequels to games I enjoyed on the NES), and basically bought the system without any consideration for specific games.  Having said that, I think "Zelda III" was what I was most looking forward to on the system, followed perhaps by Final Fantasy II.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1