Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
alfredtdk

What game led you buy SNES at the time?

Recommended Posts

A friend of mine got the system on launch day, and after playing a bit of SMW, I went out and got my own system.

 

SMW was a strong selling point for me, because at that point, I had playing SMB3 through hundreds of times and needed a new Super Mario game to play. I picked up a few additional launch games, and my wife (who was a gamer) loved the purchases, so it was win-win all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't get an SNES until 2019, but what made me want one so bad was to replay Super Mario World, since I had only ever played the remake on GBA. Then after getting that I got to explore so much more of the library, IMO one of the best software libraries of any console.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Super Mario World was one reason why, others included The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse and Road Runner's Death Valley Rally.

 

Awesome that you mention Road Runner's Death Valley Rally,  because while it may not be the game I bought the system for,  I think it was the first game I bought for the system.  I went into (the very overpriced) KayBee Toys in our mall just to see what was out there.  Road Runner caught my eye and the salesgirl kind of sold me on it.  Not realizing that their prices were insane, I paid $74.99 for it.  That really might have been one of the very last things I ever bought there, especially as EB was next door with fair prices!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2021 at 4:10 PM, GoldLeader said:

 

Awesome that you mention Road Runner's Death Valley Rally,  because while it may not be the game I bought the system for,  I think it was the first game I bought for the system.  I went into (the very overpriced) KayBee Toys in our mall just to see what was out there.  Road Runner caught my eye and the salesgirl kind of sold me on it.  Not realizing that their prices were insane, I paid $74.99 for it.  That really might have been one of the very last things I ever bought there, especially as EB was next door with fair prices!

Graphics aside, is the gameplay any good? It's never a game I played as a kid nor ever gave it the time of day since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Graphics aside, is the gameplay any good? It's never a game I played as a kid nor ever gave it the time of day since.

 

I had a good time with it!  But YMMV,  for the nostalgia glasses are pretty rose colored for me on this one.  At that point I had Super Mario World, and 2 football games that were thrown in with my purchase;  Got the SNES in box in Like New condition from an ad in the classifieds.   So of course I was blown away by the graphics and music being such a huge step up from NES!  It felt like I was controlling the Roadrunner in a Warner Brothers cartoon! So, I like it and will always remember it fondly,  yet I can imagine others saying it's Good but not Great.

 

If you don't have an EverDrive,  maybe just watch a few minutes of it on YouTube, and I bet you'll know right away if it's something you'd dig.  There's a bit of inertia (momentum) in the controls and Roadrunner doesn't stop on a dime like Mario does so it does play a bit differently,  more Sonic than Mario I guess.

 

I'd say watch 3 minutes or so of this to get an idea...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very late getting a SNES, Sega had won me over during the console wars era of the time and it wasn't until i got into Retro i picked up a second hand SNES for the following games:

 

 

Mr Do! 

Choplifter III

Contra III (actually found it to be rather over rated) 

Alien 3

Batman Returns

Cybernator 

Castlevania 4 

Super Metroid 

 

 

In terms of titles i felt i had been missing out on. 

 

 

Didn't go that much on Contra, Castlevania or Metroid. 

 

 

Plok and Lawnmower Man i bought just for the music. 

 

 

It was an ideal Milky Way console for myself, machine itself was like the majority of the titles i picked up, unboxed, so dead cheap. 

 

Went onto try F-Zero, Axelay, Starfox, Super Turrican etc. 

 

 

Got a good few months enjoyment out of the system. 

 

It clearly had a far superior soundchip to the MegaDrive, the increased colour range was apparent but there was never a moment i regretted going with Sega. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

I was very late getting a SNES, Sega had won me over during the console wars era of the time and it wasn't until i got into Retro i picked up a second hand SNES for the following games:

 

 

Mr Do! 

Choplifter III

Contra III (actually found it to be rather over rated) 

Alien 3

Batman Returns

Cybernator 

Castlevania 4 

Super Metroid 

 

 

In terms of titles i felt i had been missing out on. 

 

 

Didn't go that much on Contra, Castlevania or Metroid. 

 

 

Plok and Lawnmower Man i bought just for the music. 

 

 

It was an ideal Milky Way console for myself, machine itself was like the majority of the titles i picked up, unboxed, so dead cheap. 

 

Went onto try F-Zero, Axelay, Starfox, Super Turrican etc. 

 

 

Got a good few months enjoyment out of the system. 

 

It clearly had a far superior soundchip to the MegaDrive, the increased colour range was apparent but there was never a moment i regretted going with Sega. 

 

 

Pretty much sums up my experience with the SNES. Enjoyed F-Zero a lot, and tinkered a bit with the Mario games. Fun times but never regretted going with a Mega Drive bitd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...