IGNORED

Non-Mod Composite Video Connections

atarilux

While I am impressed with the video mods for the A8, I also would rather not modify my machine if possible. Anyway, as I said in a previous post the current Composite->HMDI output provides barely acceptable quality. I was wondering if anyone had tried other approaches e.g. Composite to VGA? These could be homebrew or shop made solutions.

Composite is the problem here, it's literally a mishmash of signals, some overlapping others in relation to frequency ranges making them almost impossible to separate cleanly.

If you want colour, you're not going to get a quality picture via composite out on the A8 no matter what the output on the other side of the scaler/convertor. RGB vs HDMI, it won't really make that much of a difference. Unfortunately, if you want the cleanest output possible from your A8 with little modification, you need separate chroma and luma output (which will involve some modification depending on model).

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 2

The "add chroma to 800XL" mod is about the least obtrusive thing you can do (wire with inline resistor) and could be easily reversed so you never knew it was there.

S-Video is a cut above composite and although when converted to HDMI would still be nowhere near the likes of Sophia or VBXE should provide a worthwhile improvement over what you're already getting.

• Like 2

I tried an S-Video to VGA convertor and it made little or no difference apart from the fact

I couldn't change the display size, so had a square in using only 2/3 of the screen, might just

be a limitation of the monitor as I can adjust size when using Composite or S-Video.

Sophia 2 just replaces GTIA chip, assuming your board is socketed, you just pull the chip and replace, then you have DVI and/or VGA output.  Easy enough to go back to stock, just reverse.  All the other mods require some soldering, and components removed/added.

The best thing you can do is look for an older ~19" TV with an svideo input and add the chroma wire.

It's barely intrusive and based on my own findings using my 600XL the picture quality to my Sharp Aquos 19" LCD TV is amazing. The other good thing about my display is it had a VESA mount, so I could attach a height adjustable monitor stand.