IGNORED

Using a PS2 mouse with my Coleco Gemini

rietveld

Does the Coleco Gemini have the same controller pinout as an Atari 2600?  

What did you use for the USB mouse to Atari joystick converter? It looks like a ps/2 to USB converter coupled to a USB mouse to Atari joystick converter.

33 minutes ago, Swami said:

Does the Coleco Gemini have the same controller pinout as an Atari 2600?  

What did you use for the USB mouse to Atari joystick converter? It looks like a ps/2 to USB converter coupled to a USB mouse to Atari joystick converter.

Yes , same pinout as the atari2600 and expansion module for the Colecovision/adam

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/274204936054

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

So the Atari 2600 DB9 controller ports are wired to provide enough power for the adapters you have connected and mouse unlike the ColecoVision and ADAM?

Yes . pin 7 provides a +5v.

So you can use a ball mouse or optical mouse

Pin 7 on the Colecovision and Adam are not conected to anything so you should be able to pull a +5v and solder it to the joystick port and use the mouse adapter 

Edited by rietveld
  • Like 1

I thought I remember reading in an Atari 2600 service manual, that the +5VDC at pin 7 was good for approximately 50mA..safely.  I've used it to power optical joysticks that draw around 35mA with no problems, on both 2600 and 7800 consoles (including the EM#1).  It's mainly used for the Paddle controllers on the 2600, and 3rd party joystick controllers that had an "auto-fire" circuit, made use of this power as well.  

Keep in mind too, that while in most Coleco Hand Controllers, the controller cables may only have 7 wires (Pins 1/2/3/4/5/6/8), Pins 7 & 9 are connected at the console's controller port, and are used for quadrature inputs from "spinning/rotational" controls like the EM#2, the Roller Controller, and the Speed Roller on the Super Action Controllers.  

Additionally, I believe the Atari 2600 controller port pinout you posted, is incorrect...as Pin #5 is for Paddle B's button, and Pin #9 is for Paddle A's button.  A standard CX-40 joystick controller cable, has only 6 wires (Pins 1/2/3/4/6/8), but at the console port, all of the pins are connected/used.  

Correction on my post above. ATARI pins 5 and 9 are the paddle pots, their buttons make use of unused digital direction contacts.  But modern hacks and homebrews for the 2600 and 8-bits make use of the pin 5 and 9 paddle lines to allow for a 2nd and 3rd button...via some witchcraft and trickery.  Sorry for the confusion.