IGNORED

Need Help - Joy0up + Joy0left = no shoot

donnerkuh

I haven't looked at your code but I recall as similar issue when I was working on my game 'Heist'.  When running in stella and using the keyboard as joystick inputs, it wouldn't fire in that one combination either.  If I plugged a usb joystick into my computer and used that... it worked.  I believe it has something to do with the way the keyboard buffer works on some computers.  

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 11:34 AM, TXmarsh said:

I haven't looked at your code but I recall as similar issue when I was working on my game 'Heist'.  When running in stella and using the keyboard as joystick inputs, it wouldn't fire in that one combination either.  If I plugged a usb joystick into my computer and used that... it worked.  I believe it has something to do with the way the keyboard buffer works on some computers.  

I had this same issue in my game Cone Ball. I had created two players that can move around and fire. Player0 would experience the same problem, but only in Stella. I tried on hardware and in other emulators, like Z26, and it operated as normal. 

On 5/11/2021 at 6:39 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

It would be nice if you report any issues you have with Stella. Else we cannot fix them. :) 

How does one do that? It was something I had not thought of, as I thought at the time it was a known issue. 

On 5/11/2021 at 1:05 PM, Random Terrain said:

Be sure to use the Ctrl key instead of the space bar for the fire button since the space bar can stop you from moving diagonally with the arrow keys.

Looks like this is no Stella bug, but a keyboard limitation too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donnerkuh said:

Thanks for help - it is a Stella-thing. In Z26 Emulator the robot fires in combination with joy0up and joy0left. 

It's not a 'Stella' thing.  It's a 'using space for fire with other keys for direction gives a keyboard issue' thing.  If you use the Left Control key in Stella to fire (like in z26), then it will probably act the same way.

• Like 1

Sorry -  i was inaccurate - it´s a donnerkuh-thing. Stella works so fine since i use it (10 years or more) that i never had to check the settings or wondered about something. This was the reason why i thought that my basic-code had a bug. If i use Stella with Left Control key it fires. My bad english did the rest. 

I will never think again that "real batari basic coders don´t need manuals".

As compensation i will try to make a good game... not using the space-key but using Stella, the best Atari-Emulator i´ve ever seen

3 minutes ago, donnerkuh said:

sounds a little bit ugly, but yes.

I've been relearning German (had a few years in high school in the early 80s) via Duolingo and thought perhaps it was a compound word like Haustier (house animal) for pet or Wasserstoff (water material) for hydrogen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I've been relearning German (had a few years in high school in the early 80s) via Duolingo and thought perhaps it was a compound word like Haustier (house animal) for pet or Wasserstoff (water material) for hydrogen.

It´s my ingame-nick (World of Tanks, World of Warcraft,...). Kuh or cow is part of my surname (Kuhmann) and thunder will fear my enemys :)

• Like 1