IGNORED

What are your top 10 games worth getting the 7800 for?

Giles N

Many compares the 7800 (and its games) to NES and Sega Master (and their games).

Now, as all these systems are officially discontinued, I wonder what your top-ten list of games for the 7800 are, which makes it worth obtaining the system as a retro-console?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Giles N said:

Many compares the 7800 (and its games) to NES and Sega Master (and their games).

Now, as all these systems are officially discontinued, I wonder what your top-ten list of games for the 7800 are, which makes it worth obtaining the system as a retro-console?

In no particular order, not including home brews:

Food Fight

Joust

Midnight Mutants

Robotron 2084

Fatal Run

Commando

Alien Brigade

Ballblazer

Xevious

Tower Toppler

• Like 4

Another go....

Depending on your setup one reason might be the 7800's ability to play almost all VCS carts, so you'll have two consoles for the desk/shelf space of one (that is, unless you don't absolutely need the VCS' 70's faux-wood look). That's even more true if you get yourself the Concerto cart which will allow you to play almost all VCS and 7800 games from a joystick-controlled on-screen menu without swapping carts.

The 7800 has great versions of Asteroids, Joust and Food Fight. There's a good Galaga and you can have Ballblazer, which is not available on any other console (except the Atari 8-bit disguised as a 5200). Donkey Kong and DKjr. are reportedly good.

Best of all, there are lots of great, mostly Arcacde-inspired home-brews for the system, including a huge variety of Pac-Man games, Scramble, Beef Drop, the works. Have a look at 7800 section of the AtariAge store. The home-brew scene is still active with a constant stream of new games, including at least one with a "booster" chips for improved graphics and audio. 

I'd say the 7800 is a great system if you like almost perfect home conversions of Arcade games from the "pre-Streetfighter" era. 

• Like 2

I don't remember my top 5 that I sent for the 7800 cart-by-cart podcast, but off the top of my head and not including homebrews:

1. Food Fight
  2. Crossbow
  3. Desert Falcon
  4. One-on-One
  5. Asteroids
  6. Joust
  7. Ms. Pac Man
  8. Mario Bros
  9. Galaga
  10. Xevious

Homebrews make the system 1000x better, definitely.  Pac Man Collection, Dungeon Stalker, Beef Drop, Scramble, K.C. Munchkin are a few great ones that come to mind but there are lots.

• Like 3

I'm gonna try to go for cheap games here. While I'd love to include Commando and other games like that, they're unfortunately hard to find and expensive when they pop up. So, if you're a new 7800 fan and you want some games that won't break the bank, here are my top picks.

10. Choplifter

9. Galaga

8. Asteroids

7. Joust

6. Centipede

5. Dig Dug

4. Ms. Pac-Man

3. Xevious

2. Food Fight

1. Robotron 2084

Yeah, kind of a boring list, but you can't beat the old classics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I'm gonna try to go for cheap games here. While I'd love to include Commando and other games like that, they're unfortunately hard to find and expensive when they pop up. So, if you're a new 7800 fan and you want some games that won't break the bank, here are my top picks.

Fun fact, - or just plain, old boring fact:

My first 7800 was a PAL version (since I live in Europe), and while neither Robotron 2084 or Rampage weren’t realeased over here, Commando, Motor Psycho, Fatal Run, Midnight Mutants, Scrapyard Dog are all easy to obtain.

Well they’re a tad more expensive but not like the US/NTSC ebay prices for these titles.

Commando was one of the first 7800 titles I got.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

My go to list is mostly exclusives

Alien Brigade

Dark Chambers

Fatal Run

Food Fight

Midnight Mutants

Ninja Golf

Planet Smashers

Scrapyard Dog

Super Skateboardin

Tower Toppler

Arcade ports and Homebrews would push my list to over 30 must haves

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From the original retail line in descending alphabetical order:

#10 - Robotron: 2084
#09 - Ninja Golf
#08 - Motor Psycho
#07 - Midnight Mutants
#06 - Joust
#05 - Food Fight
#04 - Desert Falcon
#03 - Commando
#02 - Basketbrawl
#01 - Alien Brigade

• Like 7

I haven't played enough 7800 to know for sure which games are superior on that platform, but I know for sure that I would want these games:

Asteroids

Centipede

Dark Chambers

NINJA GOLF

Maybe Pole Position II and Fatal Run?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

I haven't played enough 7800 to know for sure which games are superior on that platform, but I know for sure that I would want these games:

Asteroids

Centipede

Dark Chambers

NINJA GOLF

Maybe Pole Position II and Fatal Run?

Pole position 2 and Fatal Run are cool games if you’re into driving games.

Fatal Run has elements of strategy as you need to spend money either on the car or its fire-power.

Pole Position 2 is a straightforward 8-bit coin-op conversion where pure driving-skill is alpha and omega.

- - -

Dark Chambers has atmosphere and cool backdrops but is somewhat samey. Best with 2P.

Ninja Golf is good-looking, smooth, stylish, very good to play, humor and variation... but music and sound could be better... (it does its job)

Centipede and Asteroids; I’ll leave comments to fans of the arcades of these...

?

Edited by Giles N

2 hours ago, mimo said:

Anything that has @PacManPlus ' name on it. His homebrews are the #1 reason to own a 7800

Agreed!  There are so many good homebrews, but I would also recommend Donkey Kong PK, Dungeon Stalker & T:ME Salvo

It's a great time to own a 7800!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Giles N said:

Pole position 2 and Fatal Run are cool games if you’re into driving games.

I know what they are ;)

I've played Fatal Run on the 2600, and obviously played Pole Position 2 on several platforms. Just not sure if the 7800 ports are worthwhile or not.

1. Moon Cresta (Homebrew)

2. Asteroids

3. Galaxian (Homebrew)

4. Centipede

5. Dig Dug

6. Pac-Man 40th anniversary edition (Homebrew)

7. Donkey Kong

8. Joust

9. Galaga

10. Ricki and Vicki (Homebrew - Maybe. looks good.)

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jinks said:

Why sirius sux cause too hard to point it is almost unplayable. Plutos is fine. But boring with no music..

Sirius has two difficulty-levels, set by switches down by the side of control-ports.

I’m almost through it by now; got to last boss.

I think its comparable to C64’s ‘IO’ or ‘Armalyte’.

• Like 1