IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 15 - Frogger

[ Intellivision HSC Season 14 ]

(Game 15)

Frogger

Parker-Frogger.jpg

Frogger by Parker Brothers 1983

Life isn't all lazy days and lily pads for a frog - it abounds with dangers.

frogger.gif.b0919cb5e839c5d474bf1a8967e92671.gif

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/46465/intellivision/Frogger-1983-Parker-Bros.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Frogger

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

SET NEW RECORD FOR SKILL LEVEL 1?

Game Setting

SKILL LEVEL 1 (PUSH BUTTON 1)

Contest Ends
SUNDAY MAY 23RD 11:59:59PM EASTERN TIME

(HIGH SCORES)

211,870 - CParsley [+13][+3 SET NEW RECORD][+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE]

123,630 - IntyFanMatt [+12]

118,690 - Spartan [+11]

--------------------------

33,820 - ClassicGMR [+9]

26,100 - Fakecortex [+8]

23,520 - Wolfy62 [+7]

18,740 - Lupovax [+6]

18,340 - Ace24 [+5]

16,480 - Rickster8 [+4]

15,000 - Biffman [+3]

14,470 - PlayerOne [+2]

14,020 - Gernot [+1]

10,710 - Popsicle [+1]

10,010 - Mangia-Boy [+1]

7,970 - Gar0u [+1]

5,790 - JBlenkle [+1]

Rankings

(After Defender)

1. cparsley  237
2. IntellivisionSpartan  231
3. Rickster8  166
4. wolfy62  98
5. cmadruga  96
6. biffman  92
7. popsicle  91
8. mr_me  78
9. lupovax 64
10. Player One  62
11. classicGMR  56
12. JasonlikesINTV  51
13. rogerpoco 48
14. gbag  44
15. patbb  43
16. JacobZu7zu7  38
17. fakecortex  37
18. Ace24  33
19. IntyFanMatt  28
20. bamse  15
21. jblenkle  14
22. toiletunes  13
23. IntellivisionMaster  11
24. Mangia-Boy  9
25. gar0u  7
26. hoosierdadee78  5
26. Gernot 5
28. Intelligentleman  4
28. NamcoPlayer 4
28. S.BAZ 4
31. sneakyturtleegg  2
32. Mister-VCS  1

Games Won

10 CParsley - Beamrider / Lock N Chase / Thunder Castle / Thin Ice / Centipede / Dragonfire / White Water / PBA Bowling / Lady Bug / Defender

5 Spartan - He-Man / Carnival / Atlantis / PBA Bowling x2 / Dig Dug

4 Rickster8 - Demon Attack / Zaxxon / Microsurgeon x2 / PBA Bowling

1 BiffMan - Chess

1 Gbag - Popeye

1 Patbb - Q*bert

1 mr_me - PBA Bowling

1 wolfy62 - PBA Bowling

Sneak Preview: SEASON FINALE!!!

Beauty and the Beast - Special Scoring - Parsley's Final Game Choice

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores
  • Thanks 1

Something was brought to my attention, because Frogger rolls over to zero when you get to 100k this could cause an issue. Lol, I won't have this problem because I cannot even get 15k, but there are some here who can actually get 100k+ on this game. I know IntyFanMatt can and will.... ?

So since the game is new today and no entries have yet been made the rule is this. IF you post a 100k+ score on Frogger Level 1, you will be required to post 2 pics, one for the (before) rollover and one for the final. So if you post a 122k score for Frogger you will need the 99,990 (or something close to this) screen pic and the 22,000 screen pic... So two screen pics will be required for a score equal to or over 100k, especially now since Spartan and Parsley are BOTH trying to win Season 14.... 

This means you should 'try' to video the score when it's going to rollover and then you can grab that pic from your phone to use as screen pic 1 and then obviously screen pic 2 is just the final shot after the game is over..... You can pause the game by pressing 1 and 9, setup your phone to video and then push the disc to continue playing. You don't have to video the entire game just the rollover part so a screen pic can be posted... 

Thanks Matt for bringing this to my attention. 

Cheers! ?

PS - Also because this game has the well known 'Green Screen Glitch' it's a GREAT reason to video the game anyway. Because if it happens you will have no screenshot proof of your score..... 

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Thanks 2

My 1st Frogger Entry: I'm not kidding with this score. It's a twitch game that I'm TERRIBLE at.... Another one of those games where I'm all thumbs. In this game with the stupid Inty controllers I have to hit the top, left, right or bottom perfectly otherwise the frog goes wherever he wants. I press left and if it's not perfect he goes straight right into traffic. This game would be ideal for a joystick. Also when it gets to Level 4 and the traffic speeds up with a very tight window of survival I panic and can never get thru the gauntlet. I find games like this ridiculous because in watching videos for skill 1 while it gets hard early, it then gets easier again later on which to me is absurd (meaning later on the traffic slows down). ?‍♂️ I don't get it... Parker Brothers MORONS!!!! ??

FROGGER(11980)HSC14.jpg.107af9bb5eb4e3a0ab97f2ecd10eb2ab.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

My 1st Frogger Entry: I'm not kidding with this score. It's a twitch game that I'm TERRIBLE at.... Another one of those games where I'm all thumbs. In this game with the stupid Inty controllers I have to hit the top, left, right or bottom perfectly otherwise the frog goes wherever he wants. I press left and if it's not perfect he goes straight right into traffic. This game would be ideal for a joystick. Also when it gets to Level 4 and the traffic speeds up with a very tight window of survival I panic and can never get thru the gauntlet. I find games like this ridiculous because in watching videos for skill 1 while it gets hard early, it then gets easier again later on which to me is absurd (meaning later on the traffic slows down). ?‍♂️ I don't get it... Parker Brothers MORONS!!!! ??

The game cycles through 4 boards so you get a break after the really hard “4th board” with all the traffic. So it’s not that it gets easier later, you just get regular breaks after beating that rough board. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The game cycles through 4 boards so you get a break after the really hard “4th board” with all the traffic. So it’s not that it gets easier later, you just get regular breaks after beating that rough board. 

Lol rough board equals hard. Regular breaks equals easier. 4th board equals hard. 5th, 6th, 7th? equals easier. So that’s my point. I cannot get thru the hard 4th board and then it does in fact get ‘easier’ with regular breaks after that.... Problem is I have never survived that 4th board gauntlet. ? Too twitchy for me and my 50 thumbs..... ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

Lol rough board equals hard. Regular breaks equals easier. 4th board equals hard. 5th, 6th, 7th? equals easier. So that’s my point. I cannot get thru the hard 4th board and then it does in fact get ‘easier’ with regular breaks after that.... Problem is I have never survived that 4th board gauntlet. ? Too twitchy for me and my 50 thumbs..... ?

Lol. Every 4th board is exactly the same in difficulty, so it’s extremely hard. So board 4, board 8, board 12, all extremely hard…and the same. It just cycles over and over that way. It doesn’t remain easier. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

31 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Lol. Every 4th board is exactly the same in difficulty, so it’s extremely hard. So board 4, board 8, board 12, all extremely hard…and the same. It just cycles over and over that way. It doesn’t remain easier. 

No I get that it doesn't 'remain' easier, but my point is if board 4 is hard and board 5 is NOT as hard then the game essentially does get 'easier', but yes, it doesn't stay easier... I just think that's a dumb way to design a game... I think the game would have been better or more beatable for me if it got progressively harder board after board. Like for instance the game Space Armada, each wave is harder to beat... Or in Dreadnaught Factor each Dreadnaught is progressively harder to beat.... I think the design of games that are hard earlier and then easier later is flawed. Like with Worm Whomper. Great game, but it essentially gets easier for a level or two around level 18ish. (I'm just estimating the level where this occurs). To me that's just a flawed game design. Games to me should get progressively harder as you advance, not jump all over the map in difficulty from one board to the next. If I could just get through that damn board 4 I could score 25k... ?

So my pathetic goal for this contest is to survive board 4 and somehow break 20k.... ugggh ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I got through the 4th board,finally and was shocked and relieved to find the 5th one had slowed down.

If anyone can tough out that 4th board you are in for a treat and a much better score! 23,520.

20210509_162112.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

I got through the 4th board,finally and was shocked and relieved to find the 5th one had slowed down.

If anyone can tough out that 4th board you are in for a treat and a much better score! 23,520.

20210509_162112.jpg

Lol yup and therein lies the rub for me. I've NEVER escaped the 4th board, too twitchy for me and my 8,000 thumbs (lol that number is growing exponentially)..... I need to get one of those joystick thingees that glues onto the disc. Then maybe I'd do better..... ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cparsley said:

Why Ms Pac-Man and Pac-Man does that for a board where u get more blue time as one last respite before diving in. Lock 'n Chase does that as well on the Bobbie Pin level.

Yeah well Lock N Chase friggin sucks.... ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Interesting score to die on…right at 20k even. Yup get a free frog at 20k, so what happened here?  Did you die immediately after getting it?

Not really sure what happened, but I do know that Monk is VERY happy with this nice round even 20,000 point score..... ?

war culture GIF

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My Frogger Update: A slight improvement, but ofcourse I had 4 frogs left going into Board 4 and lost all of them. I was one frog away from actually advancing. This game fkin infuriates me..... ?

FROGGER(13740)HSC14.jpg.233cc007db6f31e698551445fe8c2de0.jpg

• Sad 2

EDIT: Are you kidding me? I never read the manual ever for this game until now. You can float off-screen? @&!$#%*!! That changes a lot. 

Finally a game I can play ok - not great mind you but ok. ??

D0C67D62-DC2E-46A5-8C3D-7419A18F2A3E.jpeg

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 4

OK so being able to drift off screen and wrap around takes some of the stress out of the game and does help early on. I managed to get a much better score after multiple attempts. I will revisit this later this weekend. :)

38A00F9B-8705-4A6A-9953-061C4BD8E842.jpeg

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 3