IGNORED

Atari 1400XL Lives!

geneb

3 hours ago, geneb said:

Anyone have a 1200XL keyboard for sale? :D

g.

Oh, man !!

Would you look at that f-pristine 1400XL with its Votrax fully operational !!!

It's just sweet seeing the best XL ever-designed given one more chance...

You got a keeper there... KUDOS !!!!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

Question for hardware people? Could a cartridge be developed that would take over the Votrax code since not many of us are going to get a 1400XL? I know it's not very useful but would be cool to have and play with.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Allan said:

Question for hardware people? Could a cartridge be developed that would take over the Votrax code since not many of us are going to get a 1400XL? I know it's not very useful but would be cool to have and play with.

There already are a few things that can be used for this, one is FujiNet with its built-in S.A.M. support, and I believe the AtariAge store sells something that plugs into a joy stick port.

5 minutes ago, mytek said:

There already are a few things that can be used for this, one is FujiNet with its built-in S.A.M. support, and I believe the AtariAge store sells something that plugs into a joy stick port.

I mean something that the 1400XL OS would detect as the internal 1400XL Votrax chip but have it on cartridge. Of course finding a Votrax SC-01 would be tricky. But you would have a better chance of finding a SC-01 than a 1400XL.

The keyboard mylar is 100% working, so I won't need to replace it.  I even managed to peel it without tearing the silicone layer.  I was very careful with it and only stripped it back to the connector, but not the connector itself.  I used a document clip and a popcicle stick to prevent accidentally "over-peeling" it.

A commenter on my video has likely provided a solution to the problem.  They suggested putting 2mm wide rings of 2.5mm heat shrink tubing under the back side of the little rubber hammers on each key.  This should provide enough lift to allow the little hammer to properly press on the Mylar with enough force to reliably activate the key press.

g.

12 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

If there's only one or two keys not working consistently, and if you already did Bob Woolley's Mylar fix (which tends to negate the need to replace said Mylar), sometimes hitting the problem keys repeatedly and quite firmly wakes them up.

That's what I did after peeling the Mylar.  It went from only the top row to working, to about 95% of the keys working.  The rest were brought back to life with repeated key presses.  The return key took the most work and the equals key is the lone holdout.  Hopefully the heat-shrink spacer ring trick will solve the issue.  I'm going to have to make myself a little jig for cutting the spacers. :D

g.

• Like 1

That is such a nice machine, beautiful condition...

Please make use of it or sell it to an Atari person, its not one of those machines that should just sit on a shelf for the rest of its life..

Great find..

Paul..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Man.  The voice during self-test.  I have never heard that before.  Great job!

I was shocked too!  I had no idea it would do that.  During the editing process, it dawned on me that the funny honking sound was the voice chip being initialized when the machine is first powered on. 

g.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ivop said:

Now that sounds like a cool trick. Let us know how it works out :)

Here's a video that shows the process.  I didn't know until today that it appears that not only did the 1400XL use the same keyboard as the 1200XL, but it looks like the same case too.

g.

Amazing. Thanks for sharing the video and photos.  Yes the keyboard is a 1200XL's. No difference. Glad to hear you won't use a Best mylar since keeping it factory original in this case is ideal. I disagree with the sentiment that it should be used and not sit on a shelf or in a box unused.  Appreciated and admired, used occationally, YES. Used a lot, modded, beaten up? No way. As you know, it is a very, very rare machine and so very, very valuable in that condition and also of historic value.

Have you considered uploading your videos using the internal modem?   ? 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

As you know, it is a very, very rare machine and so very, very valuable in that condition and also of historic value.

$5K+ rare :)  Yep you don't really want to use it as your daily driver. In fact you probably don't want to leave it out very much, best to keep it cozy inside a box in an air conditioned environment.

17 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Have you considered uploading your videos using the internal modem?   ? 

5 years later... Argg!!! the power failed! Another 5 years to go ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mytek said:

$5K+ rare :)  Yep you don't really want to use it as your daily driver. In fact you probably don't want to leave it out very much, best to keep it cozy inside a box in an air conditioned environment.

Yes, and with lots of those silicon moisture absorber things.  Can get a bag full of them for pretty cheap.

5 years later... Argg!!! the power failed! Another 5 years to go ;-)

We need a pop3 dialer with HTTP upload that works in 64K.

38 minutes ago, geneb said:

So leaving it stuffed under a table running a BBS would be a bad thing?

?

g.

Only if you don't put a heavy duvet over it and occasionally sprinkle iron filings into the vents ?

Seriously, though, that is a nice machine.  Thanks for showing it ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Only if you don't put a heavy duvet over it and occasionally sprinkle iron filings into the vents ?

Seriously, though, that is a nice machine.  Thanks for showing it ?

So treat it like it was a Mac.  Got it. :D

You're welcome!

g.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:56 AM, Allan said:

I mean something that the 1400XL OS would detect as the internal 1400XL Votrax chip but have it on cartridge. Of course finding a Votrax SC-01 would be tricky. But you would have a better chance of finding a SC-01 than a 1400XL.

Do we have the OS dumped out anywhere? Maybe @phaeron would add 1400XL as an Altirra emulation.....

• Like 1