IGNORED

Atari 1400XL Lives!

geneb

On 5/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, Allan said:

Could a cartridge be developed that would take over the Votrax code

As far as I recall, the Votrax and Modem devices enumerate / report via PBI.

If that is the case, their code is designed to run in such address space (rom-based PBI device-driver). There's an issue there, from a SW perspective.

Then comes what the power supply itself suggests: the 1400XL requires +12v, +5v, -5v dc, just like the 800. But why? Would it be that either the modem and/or Votrax devices run with +12v? Can't find any other reason for needing +12v... but whatever the case is, that voltage is not available on the cart. port, and a real Votrax chip may not be possible there unless a dc-to-dc stage is included (IF +12v are needed)... without mentioning that PBI is not accessible from the Cart port, itself.

Maybe the easiest would be a small external board with both devices, to be connected via 800XL PBI bus, and carrying copies of original ROMs.? In that case, it would be better to have similar functionality built in something like Fujinet, for instance.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Excellent Dan, I think its HUGE ask for it to be added to Altirra and as they are proto's there may be no enthusiasm to add it. Altirra has always (for me) being about an out of the retail box idea.

Would it be cool, hell yes but I doubt if its ever been on Avery's busy list...

This is just note-taking on my behalf for some quasi-related 1090 stuff.  I don't want to derail the thread with this discussion, but do need to make the notes so that the context of them is clearer (i.e., that this brings up 14x0-specific considerations for a possible 1090 recreation that would also apply to the other PBI / ECI A8s).

27 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

As far as I recall, the Votrax and Modem devices enumerate / report via PBI.

If that is the case, their code is designed to run in such address space (rom-based PBI device-driver). There's an issue there, from a SW perspective.

According to the Speech Handler External Reference Specification (p.4) and 1400XL Integral Modem External Reference Specification, both devices are PBI-attached.  The Votrax has a PBI ID of $07; I didn't see what the modem uses, but only skimmed the document.  $06 is probably a reasonable supposition, given that the 1090 supports a total of 5 PBI-attached cards (likely numbered $01 through $05) with the 1090 given PBI ID $00 provided that $00 isn't reserved for the PBI itself.

Incidentally, that modem reference specification document is pretty handy from the standpoint of containing all of the modem command strings.  It doesn't use AT commands, but rather appears to use the same commands as the 1030, suggesting that it is basically a PBI-attached 1030.  Compare the command sets found here for the 1030 and on p.11 of the Modem External Reference Specification and they appear to be identical.

In any event, that's as much derailing as I want to do here for now; I'll flip that part of the discussion back over to the 1090XL remake thread.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Excellent Dan, I think its HUGE ask for it to be added to Altirra and as they are proto's there may be no enthusiasm to add it. Altirra has always (for me) being about an out of the retail box idea.

Would it be cool, hell yes but I doubt if its ever been on Avery's busy list...

Oh of course. Avery can hold his own- I doubt the steady pressure of my steely gaze would have any effect if he didn't want to do so on his own :) Twas just a suggestion.