IGNORED

U1MB - flashing OSS set

damanloox

OK, after successful flash of bios (thanks @flashjazzcat) I'm thinking about replacing "default" language set with the OSS set. Could somebody tell me how do I do that (without destroying my freshly flashed U1MB)? I've side2oss.rom and side2_full_oss_carts.atr but I'm guessing it's side2_full_oss_carts.atr that I need to use...?

You need to disable the PBI HDD and on-board SDX and boot SDX off the SIDE2. Then run UFLASH and apply the OSS ROM to the external cart slot (or flash the full ROM to the chip entry). Nothing on the U1MB needs to be changed.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again @flashjazzcat. That will hopefully keep me busy for quite some time so I won't bother you again ;) 

BTW - my 600xl is (almost) completed (just waiting for updated pokeymax but all leads and connectors are ready in place). That small VBXE daughterboard works perfectly and I think it makes things looking (somewhat) cleaner ;) 

• Like 1

OK, stuck again... sorry ;)
Trying to flash oss rom to my side2 but my atari freezes at the rom selection screen. 

U1MB SDX disabled, PBI hdd disabled. Booting with SIDE2 (toggle switch on bottom position), typing CAR. Loader seems to load, I select uflash.xex. SIDE2 hardware identified correctly but when I press Return I get file selector screen and it freezes - I can't do anything. No key works, neither tab, esc nor return... The only way out is power cycle/reset...

Screenshots here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SZ64nmTiiCKhPUJp8

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong this time...?

Oh. I forgot you still had the original loader on the cart.

Do you have any SIO2xxx peripherals (SIO2PC, etc)? Alternately, you could put the files in a FAT16 partition on the CF card, then employ the FATFS.SYS driver in SDX and flash directly from the DOS prompt.

Sorry for the jumping through hoops, but it appears things are going south with the original loader's FAT CIO file system driver when UFLASH tries to open the directory on D1:.

I'll try to dig out my sio2pc. Was hoping I won't have to go through a stack of boxes (yes - I tend to put things in random places and forget where those random places are ;))

Anyway - thanks! I was worried something is wrong with my SIDE2 (which wouldn't be a big deal as SIDE3 is already on the way but still - might be useful for my other Ataris ;))

SIO2PC is hooked up here 100 per cent of the time, although in fairness I would wear out the CF slot if I was doing firmware updates off the card. :)

Things will be easier once you have the update in place, anyway. The loader will then let you navigate the entire directory structure of the FAT volume from the UFLASH file selector (when UFLASH is launched straight from the loader).

• Thanks 1

Same thing using sio2pc - freezes. But I used side2.com (I think - the other flasher that's on .atr disk and flashes "bank by bank"). Worked perfectly fine and now my SIDE2 is flashed.

Tried what previously didn't work (ie. flashing from cartridge) and it now works perfectly. 

Thanks again! I think I'm done asking questions (at least until my SIDE3 arrives ;))