IGNORED

IBM 6091 016 monitor found. Can I use it as a PVM?

vintagegamecrazy

I just found this monitor at an electronics recycling center. Can I use it as a pvm and if so how do I go about that with the vertical and horizontal sync? I have an amstrad gx4000 that I would like to use it for it to start and if that works possibly Branch into more European game systems. I appreciate any help anyone can offer me. 

received_2620010551636116.jpeg

received_375118733840662.jpeg

This article has some information about the monitor: http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/video/6091-19.html

The monitor supports both sync on green as well as external H and V sync, which are the white and black inputs respectively. Inputs are the bottom row of BNC connectors. You want the switch on the back of the monitor set on 2 for 75 ohm impedance. The mode switch on the front will depend on the sync you provide.

According to the article this unit only does 60Hz or 67Hz refresh rates so european consoles may pose an issue? I dont know anything about the amstrad gx4000 but a quick search makes it seem like a european console. If you are in the states I suggest testing with a known good rgb console like a ps2 to ensure the monitor works well before testing PAL consoles. You may need an external circuit to either create a sync on green signal or split a composite sync signal into separate H and V syncs.

This looks like a cool find, good luck!

Actually, according to the article it only supports 1280x1024 or 1024x1024 so the monitor may not work at lower resolutions. If you're lucky the smaller image would be tucked in the top corner of the screen. Internal and external adjustments could possibly center it. Certainly worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an electronics surplus store back in the mid-90s in town that had pallets of these monitors for something like $50 when a comparable new monitor cost upwards of $1000. I bought two, and IIRC, a standard VGA-to-5-BNC cable was all you needed to use on a PC (albeit with fixed 1280x1024 resolution, so Windows only.) The display was very crisp for the time (these were Trinitrons and resources say 0.26mm dot pitch). I used one until 2003 when I went LCD.

Everyone who saw these loved them. I lent one to a girlfriend who refused to give it back after we broke up. After I retired the other, I gave it to a friend who used it until it died (or, the cable may have died?)