IGNORED

Atari 2600 point of sale cabinet

Jfrik84

Hello everyone, I was lucky enough to find and purchase this Atari 2600 cabinet at a garage sale over the weekend. The gentleman I purchased it from said he had worked for Atari and called it a "point of sale cabinet." I plan to refurbish it, keeping it as original as possible and incorporating it into my collection. I am having trouble tracking down information and images of how these cabinets would have been presented in stores. If anyone has info to share and/or pictures of other cabinets this style,  I'd love any information I can gather. Thank you!

20210507_185922.jpg

20210509_185030.jpg

20210507_191139.jpg

• Like 13

nice haul !!!

a locksmith aught to be able to make you some extra keys

I would look at the side wall that is still fitted together nicely to see how to fix the left side

any shelves inside ?

Man I thought I had a detail of JUST a shelf they are at a slight pitch backward I think.

Anyways here's a pic of a unit I have ( different than yours but I'd imagine the shelving would be exactly similar.)

I'm looking for the PCB & sheilding that belongs inside still.

IMG_0431b.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, that helps. I do have all of the shelves for the inside. And I think I can reattach the busted side with few issues. I have already pulled the doors off and I'm having a local acrylics place cut some new ones for me.

That's an awesome piece you have there! I imagine finding original parts and pieces is even more difficult than finding the cabinet itself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jfrik84 said:

Thanks, that helps. I do have all of the shelves for the inside. And I think I can reattach the busted side with few issues. I have already pulled the doors off and I'm having a local acrylics place cut some new ones for me.

That's an awesome piece you have there! I imagine finding original parts and pieces is even more difficult than finding the cabinet itself. 

I chalk it up to "The thrill of the hunt". All the ones that got away I can still count on one hand though.

also FWIW, I havn't seen YOUR particular style shelving unit here at Atari Age before.

12 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

Why is there a San Francisco 49er sticker on there?

I did wind up affixing a decal to my unit.

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

Why is there a San Francisco 49er sticker on there?

The cabinet was being used in the person's garage as a storage shelf so I don't think it wasn't really a valued item for them. I think it came from California originally, so they were probably 49er fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chas10e said:

I chalk it up to "The thrill of the hunt". All the ones that got away I can still count on one hand though.

also FWIW, I havn't seen YOUR particular style shelving unit here at Atari Age before.

I did wind up affixing a decal to my unit.

Hide contents

Looks good! That's a sweet set up!

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, QDBuckwheat said:

Wow, that's a pretty rad cabinet. Congrats on the lucky find. What's your plan of attack for refurbishing it?

Thanks! I did add some updated photos of the completed project, but I'm not sure what happened to them on here. Below are some photos of my completed project. Thank you to those that helped fill in some information. I am still going to be on the lookout for an original advertisement to mount in the right side acrylic although the poster size is slightly larger than the typical Atari poster I have seen at approximately 20" X 30" so the 'reach for the stars' poster also seems to be somewhat rare from what I've found. I did replace the acrylic doors on the front of the cabinet due to them being scratched and damaged beyond repair, but other than that, the cabinet is all original. A little degreaser cleaned up the filthy surfaces and a little black paint for touch ups on the base and inside the cabinet. The biggest challenge was reconnecting the right side panel that came loose from being hit by a car (that's what I was told). I also used some very fine sandpaper to clean up the brushed look of the aluminum channel and the plates on the doors that help secure the doors. I do have two extra shelves that are not in place right now. This was a fun project and I'm happy to bring it new life. My plan for the cabinet is to display any original boxed Atari items I can gather and keep it looking like a retail display. I am more than happy to share and help out with info if anyone is working on a similar project and have any questions.20210519_155042.thumb.jpg.12114369344b7fb54728f3e38a2c6b19.jpg

Photo after refurbishing 20210525_100613.thumb.jpg.4c54b75b7a451fd7ab618507d9988677.jpg

Photo after refurbishing 

20210525_100555.jpg

Photo after refurbishing.

20210519_155615.jpg

Photo after refurbishing 

20210525_104523.thumb.jpg.1a4eb3b45bfd73454775191618fa9b69.jpg

Photo after refurbishing 

Edited by Jfrik84
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Jfrik84 said:

I am still going to be on the lookout for an original advertisement to mount in the right side acrylic although the poster size is slightly larger than the typical Atari poster I have seen at approximately 20" X 30" so the 'reach for the stars' poster also seems to be somewhat rare from what I've found.

20210525_100613.thumb.jpg.4c54b75b7a451fd7ab618507d9988677.jpg

I "think" I have one of these...it's buried though so give me a little time. Send me a reminder in a few weeks if I haven't got back to you...

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 4:05 PM, chas10e said:

nice haul !!!

a locksmith aught to be able to make you some extra keys

I would look at the side wall that is still fitted together nicely to see how to fix the left side

any shelves inside ?

Man I thought I had a detail of JUST a shelf they are at a slight pitch backward I think.

Anyways here's a pic of a unit I have ( different than yours but I'd imagine the shelving would be exactly similar.)

I'm looking for the PCB & sheilding that belongs inside still.

IMG_0431b.jpg

I've never seen one of these.  This is really cool. Btw, I love your CRT.?

4 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

@Jfrik84 The cabinet is beautiful! Well done. I'd love to find one of these and rescue it as well.

Thank you. It looked a lot worse than it actually was. It didn't take very much time and the biggest expense was the replacement acrylic for the doors. Good luck! I hope you find one!