Jfrik84

Atari 2600 point of sale cabinet

Hello everyone, I was lucky enough to find and purchase this Atari 2600 cabinet at a garage sale over the weekend. The gentleman I purchased it from said he had worked for Atari and called it a "point of sale cabinet." I plan to refurbish it, keeping it as original as possible and incorporating it into my collection. I am having trouble tracking down information and images of how these cabinets would have been presented in stores. If anyone has info to share and/or pictures of other cabinets this style,  I'd love any information I can gather. Thank you!

20210507_185922.jpg

20210509_185030.jpg

20210507_191139.jpg

• Like 10

nice haul !!!

a locksmith aught to be able to make you some extra keys

I would look at the side wall that is still fitted together nicely to see how to fix the left side

any shelves inside ?

Man I thought I had a detail of JUST a shelf they are at a slight pitch backward I think.

Anyways here's a pic of a unit I have ( different than yours but I'd imagine the shelving would be exactly similar.)

I'm looking for the PCB & sheilding that belongs inside still.

IMG_0431b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, that helps. I do have all of the shelves for the inside. And I think I can reattach the busted side with few issues. I have already pulled the doors off and I'm having a local acrylics place cut some new ones for me.

That's an awesome piece you have there! I imagine finding original parts and pieces is even more difficult than finding the cabinet itself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jfrik84 said:

Thanks, that helps. I do have all of the shelves for the inside. And I think I can reattach the busted side with few issues. I have already pulled the doors off and I'm having a local acrylics place cut some new ones for me.

That's an awesome piece you have there! I imagine finding original parts and pieces is even more difficult than finding the cabinet itself. 

I chalk it up to "The thrill of the hunt". All the ones that got away I can still count on one hand though.

also FWIW, I havn't seen YOUR particular style shelving unit here at Atari Age before.

12 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

Why is there a San Francisco 49er sticker on there?

I did wind up affixing a decal to my unit.

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

Why is there a San Francisco 49er sticker on there?

The cabinet was being used in the person's garage as a storage shelf so I don't think it wasn't really a valued item for them. I think it came from California originally, so they were probably 49er fans.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chas10e said:

I chalk it up to "The thrill of the hunt". All the ones that got away I can still count on one hand though.

also FWIW, I havn't seen YOUR particular style shelving unit here at Atari Age before.

I did wind up affixing a decal to my unit.

Hide contents

Looks good! That's a sweet set up!

5 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Nice find.  How much was the cabinet? 

Luck was really on my side with this one. Since he knew it needed some work, he only wanted $20 for it.

• Like 3