IGNORED

Missile Command + (plus) issues - joystick does not work, very erratic

BIGHMW

I am having issues on my download of Missile Command Plus (+) with both my CX53 Trak-Ball not working at all and also with the joystick (any joystick not just the CX52) also not working, or acting very erratically despite the fact she works perfectly leading up to it.

I have included the ROM in question in which the 8-bit version for my 65XE/XEGS works perfectly, now the 5200 version, included here, uploads fine, but, the keypad acts erratic, the reset button, used to switch between the trak-ball and the stick, works, but erratically, but when I press START, the controls do not work at all, plugging in my old CX53 trak-ball, I still get nothing, even though my trak-ball has serious issues on everything (keypad/fire buttons/optical sensors all not working).

Can someone help??? Is it me or the program, because I was looking forward to trying her out on Big Sexy. The 8-bit version works fine with either stick or trak-ball (even though I don't know how to switch between the two on it) on both my 65XE and my XEGS, but no dice on the 5200 version.

Missile Command +.bin

There's another thread on that somewhere from years ago about the code needing to be changed, someone said he'd look into it but I don't think it ever was.  I wonder if that could be addressed and tested on real hardware because I think that would be a great title to be sold, boxed, in the AtariAge store.  I know I'd buy one.

I would also like to know if the 8-bit version could be had in cart form and, even better, if anybody knows how to correctly wire up an 8-bit trak-ball with 3 buttons like apparently existed internally at Atari(?).  I wouldn't mind modifying one of those things just to be able to play it as Odin intended.

• Like 1

BTW if anybody wants to create a new 5200 version that actually works, here is the 8-bit version as well, remember J, K, and L operate the three bases (J for Alpha, K for Delta, and L for Omega) so those would need to be reassigned for 1, 2, and 3 respectively, that is how the 5200 version should've worked.

This is also THE version of Missile Command (CX5202) that we should've gotten back in 1981 for the 8-bit and in 1982 for the 5200 in the first place, and since Asteroids (CX5201) was scrapped as the intended pack-in game this would've been a better replacement for it instead of Super Breakout, it would've put Big Sexy neck-and-neck with ColecoVision in the "third-wave" system chase as opposed to having her lag behind.

Missile Command+.xex