IGNORED

Is it worth Buying an Atari 400 for $250 CDN?

Crc_Error

Is it worth buying an Atari 400 in used condition for $250 Canadian?  Can it be improved with upgrades etc?  I saw it listed locally..... Comes with what you see in the photos.  I already have a 800XL and 65XE. I know the vintage Atari bug has bitten me and it will get out of hand but I am curious on your great opinions......

400.5.jpg

400.4.jpg

400.3.jpg

400.2.jpg

400.jpg

8 minutes ago, Paul Westphal said:

I have two completely restored 48k 400’s that come with a dust cover for $125. All my comps are tested on a official Atari factory testing station.

48k... that makes a big difference, given a stock 400 is a mere 16k.

• Like 1

The Atari gods keep sending me gifts on a platter and I keep failing to take them.  During the winter I could have a 400 for $65 CAD and didn't bite and on the weekend was a complete Atari 65xegs for $150 CAD.  I already have 600xl, 800xl and 130xe so what do I need them for but I have serious regrets.  $250 seems like a lot to me.  

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Crc_Error said:

Is it worth buying an Atari 400 in used condition for $250 Canadian?  Can it be improved with upgrades etc?  I saw it listed locally..... Comes with what you see in the photos.  I already have a 800XL and 65XE. I know the vintage Atari bug has bitten me and it will get out of hand but I am curious on your great opinions......

400.5.jpg

400.4.jpg

400.3.jpg

400.2.jpg

400.jpg

If you can post pics. from underneath panel (showing manuf. label) and top-lid OPEN, up-close, that would help a lot.

By just looking at the case, it has NOT been stored ptoperly.  That's very likely.

I'd go for the 125$ ones from @Paul Westphal (if I hadn't one already). IMHO the main attraction of the 400 (apart from being safer if you have drooling dogs or kids) is its razor-sharp 1970s design that would not look amiss on the bridge of the Enterprise. Until the mythical "400 Incognito" is released, it won't be able to play many newer games even with 48K installed). I have not used mine in ages.

14 hours ago, Crc_Error said:

Is it worth buying an Atari 400 in used condition for $250 Canadian?

Here's what appears to be a better, solid deal:

ATARI 400 Personal Computer WITH BOX - VINTAGE!! | eBay

That machine shows unmistakable signs of having been well stored. This pristine condition of the decals on the back-panel (especially the WHITE one), is sure sign, plus the fact that is coming with boxes. It is not color-perfect, but I would bet it would not need more than 30mins on a good sunny day.

Just ask the vendor if we would accept shipping to CANADA, and what price.

Good luck!

19 hours ago, Crc_Error said:

Here's another 400 complete with box in Point Roberts that does ship to Canada, final price is unknown(currently ~C$135) since it it an auction ending 7:17PDT this evening. It doesn't include cartridges but since you already have other Atari models you probably don't need any other than BASIC.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/353482664197?hash=item524d356905:g:UC4AAOSw9~Ngkf5n&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

LOL I don't even have one physical Atari 8-bit machine. The problem is storage space. I get yelled at enough already for keeping my "stuff" around. Do you know I have to put away ALL my electronics gear when I am "done" with them? (This means maybe 1 week, tops!). So if I have to solder anything, I need to get them all out again. And I'd better not flick any hot solder onto the furniture! ?

Anyways, you guys keep buying the vintage gear. I say that because I know you folks will take good care of it. Then later sell some to me, when I finally can afford my own 2,000 sq.ft. "super secret scientist lab™". One of these days LOL

Edited by atarialoha

Value is something no one can decide for you.  If you want it and can afford it, buy it.  I would look a bit before paying any price.

I paid $99.99 for my 400 around 1983, I think.  It was $149.99 out the door with a $50 mail in rebate.  My first computer and my first rebate.  I clearly remember the moment -- seeing it on an endcap at Zayre's department store and thinking, "Who can't afford a $100 computer?"  Probably my best impulse buy ever.

I was kind of surprised to see how much a 400 is fetching on ebay.  I did, however, find one buy it now for $170 shipped and another that ends in four days which has no bids and starts at $120 shipped (all USD).  Might be worth contacting the seller about shipping to Canada.

Good luck.  

7 hours ago, slx said:

I'd go for the 125$ ones from @Paul Westphal (if I hadn't one already). IMHO the main attraction of the 400 (apart from being safer if you have drooling dogs or kids) is its razor-sharp 1970s design that would not look amiss on the bridge of the Enterprise. Until the mythical "400 Incognito" is released, it won't be able to play many newer games even with 48K installed). I have not used mine in ages.

Agreed.  +1 for Paul.   I have spoken to him many time, and he is a great guy.   He has been around a long time, and knows what he is doing as far as repair and refurbs.  Class act.

On 5/11/2021 at 4:48 PM, BillC said:

Here's another 400 complete with box in Point Roberts that does ship to Canada, final price is unknown(currently ~C$135) since it it an auction ending 7:17PDT this evening. It doesn't include cartridges but since you already have other Atari models you probably don't need any other than BASIC.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/353482664197?hash=item524d356905:g:UC4AAOSw9~Ngkf5n&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

If they're in Point Roberts, just drive down and collect it.  Worst thing that happens is that CBSA asks for CAN$20-30 coming back in.

Or just have the seller huck it over the border; nobody'll ever notice that ;)

Edited by x=usr(1536)

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If they're in Point Roberts, just drive down and collect it.  Worst thing that happens is that CBSA asks for CAN$20-30 coming back in.

Or just have the seller huck it over the border; nobody'll ever notice that ;)

LOL! Worse that can happen is stay in hotel for 2 weeks at my expense.  LOL!

• Haha 1