IGNORED

Rez; one of the most impressive Dreamcast games

awbacon

Yes, despite the 30fps, I prefer it to the PS2 version due to the higher resolution. PS2 far easier to control though with it's better thumbstick. I have a couple of versions of it, prefer one of the beta releases with the different music.

I still remember when I first saw and played this game and was in awe. It was at the 2002 CGE at the AtariAge party before the day of the show. Al had one or two DCs setup and while everyone was talking and drinking (Some actually helping to glue and assembled boxes and games). But one of the DCs was a PAL model with the PAL version of REZ loaded up on it. I played it most of the time I was there and thought it was awesome. 

When I got back from the event, I looked and wanted a copy for myself but even then it was expensive to me and I didn't have an easy means to play it. Fast forward to many years later and I happened upon the jpn release of the game for a cheap price at a retro game store in the Houston area as I recall and have played it quite a bit since. 

I also own the PS2 version, but there is something about the DC version I just seem to prefer playing. I also have REZ infinite for the PS4 and in fact purchased the PS4 just for Rez Infinite. I really like the game and have the OST from it that I purchased several years ago in my rotation while at work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I still remember when I first saw and played this game and was in awe. It was at the 2002 CGE at the AtariAge party before the day of the show. Al had one or two DCs setup and while everyone was talking and drinking (Some actually helping to glue and assembled boxes and games). But one of the DCs was a PAL model with the PAL version of REZ loaded up on it. I played it most of the time I was there and thought it was awesome. 

When I got back from the event, I looked and wanted a copy for myself but even then it was expensive to me and I didn't have an easy means to play it. Fast forward to many years later and I happened upon the jpn release of the game for a cheap price at a retro game store in the Houston area as I recall and have played it quite a bit since. 

I also own the PS2 version, but there is something about the DC version I just seem to prefer playing. I also have REZ infinite for the PS4 and in fact purchased the PS4 just for Rez Infinite. I really like the game and have the OST from it that I purchased several years ago in my rotation while at work.

Gotta love scoring cheap games in the wild. I feel like those days are over now. 

I got Infinite on PS4 too...had to check the VR out. Wow it's legit awesome

6 minutes ago, awbacon said:

I got Infinite on PS4 too...had to check the VR out. Wow it's legit awesome

I do not have the PSVR setup so I've only played it the old fashion way LOL. But I was able to beat the game on PS4 although I don't think I've unlocked all the achievements for it. Long ago I also was able to fully beat the game on the DC but don't have that save on my VMU anymore and have a new one I started a few months back that I need to play through again.

Honestly - I somehow missed the entire "On Rails" shooter genre.  People talk about rail shooters now like they were some huge moment between 2d and 3d gaming, but I never knew anyone who played one.  If they did, they never mentioned them to me.  Of course the internet wasn't what it is now, and I was never one to flip through all the pages of all the gaming magazines.

Fast forward, and I first heard of Rez when it was included on a compilation disk for the X360 (as Rez HD with Lumines and Every Extend Extra Extreme).  I played it like 3 times.  All you do is move the cursor around.  The art style also kinda makes it hard to see what is going on.  I guess I could give it another shot, but I don't really get it.  The most notable thing about this game is that vibrator attachment that apparently exists.  (Tokyo Thrift: The Rez Trance Vibrator is gaming's most intense peripheral - The Verge)

For me the visuals and he music is what hooked me in. The enemy shots are what are hard to see in the chaos of the game sometimes, but the idea is to immediately lock onto as many of them as you can to rack up the most points and take them out before they have a chance to launch their attacks at you. The bosses are also very interesting in that each one requires different tactics to defeat them. I mean, ultimately you just shoot them in a vulnerable spot but the game mixes up their movments so much that each one feels quite different from the last. My only gripe is that the last boss is really much too easy. Basically just focus on getting as many shots in the middle as you can when the opening is there to do so and when it isn't just focus on keeping the large black things from getting too close to shoot at you. The rest of the stuff can usually be ignored in that final battle as they don't really hit you much. I think the second boss is the most difficult in the game across all of the versions I've played. 

But yeah for me, the graphics and music are what keep me playing it. I'm not actually much of a fan of rail shooters but Rez is the definite exception in this case for me.

2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I have Rez: Infinite on PC. Great game and the music is amazing. Favorite track is the first stage. I also of that sort of prequel/spiritual successor, Child of Eden on Xbox 360.

I also have Child of Eden but for the PS3. Never actually fired it up to check out though. It is one of many...MANY on the backpile to hopefully be played before I die games.

I remember seeing previews for Rez before it came out. In the US, it was only coming to PS2 so I kind of associate the game with the PS2.  When I found out a dreamcast version was coming out in other regions, I felt like this was one of the most graphically impressive dreamcast titles.  It had that post 2000 "current gen" dark lighting and techno music vibe that many PS2 games had (Zone of the Enders, Tekken Tag, Fantavision, etc) that much of the dreamcast library didn't have.

A little surprised there was no naomi version for arcades. It would have been fairly straightforward to turn Rez into an arcade game. Vaguely remember IGN reporting it was being considered as an arcade title to be featured in a deluxe Namco orb-like cab, but obviously nothing came of that.

Edited by sirlynxalot

On 5/12/2021 at 8:32 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I do not have the PSVR setup so I've only played it the old fashion way LOL. But I was able to beat the game on PS4 although I don't think I've unlocked all the achievements for it. Long ago I also was able to fully beat the game on the DC but don't have that save on my VMU anymore and have a new one I started a few months back that I need to play through again.

you 100% should pick up a PSVR setup JUST for Rez. It's worth it for that alone