IGNORED

Laser Mouse Upgrade

*** UPDATE *** DO NOT BUY the JesusDelatorre version!

Anyone seen this or used it for the STM1?

https://amigastore.eu/en/638-laser-upgrade-kit-for-atari-stm1-mouse.html

Heres a video of it in use:

I just ordered it.  As a mouse a bit pricey at $42 shipped (with tracking), but on par with a descent wireless mouse.  I guess I'll see how it goes.

Wade

The board (Tim Lenke is the original author) is a fantastic piece of hardware.

Unfortunately some of the jesusdelatorre remakes (which are being sold on amigastore) have a sensor with a resolution which is too high for the ST to handle. And they messed up the pinout a bit.

Hope you get a good revision. If not, blame it on amigastore for not caring about the mixed reviews. 

On 5/24/2021 at 6:06 AM, tomster said:

Unfortunately some of the jesusdelatorre remakes (which are being sold on amigastore) have a sensor with a resolution which is too high for the ST to handle. And they messed up the pinout a bit.

Hope you get a good revision. If not, blame it on amigastore for not caring about the mixed reviews. 

Is there a way to tell the difference?  Mine has not arrived yet.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, Ripdubski said:

Thats pretty slick.  I feel like the LED was a missed opportunity for Atari.

Typical for new era - putting some shiny and useless thing (LED in top side of mouse - no thanks) , while part with small letters is more interesting: "NOTE: This version has not been tested by me yet, so there may be issues... ".

Here is  one issue: no thanks.

And I can say only - cheaper, simpler is to get converter from PS2 or USB to Atari mouse port - then can use almost any modern optical mouse. Atari mouse is not bad, and I have here still 2 of them operational (needed some cable replacements only), but it's shape is too reactanglish, so I rather go with some modern design - and there is space to add Atari logo, and if someone insists LED under it, or make whole logo from small LEDs ?

And nicest thing: there will be no issues.

On 5/24/2021 at 6:06 AM, tomster said:

It arrived today.  What was pictured on Amigastore is the TimLenke edition.  What arrived is the Jesus version.  It has 3 sets of pinouts, a bunch of small plastic bits with only 3 that are obvious, and no instructions. Fun.  I complained to them and asked why they shipped an alternate product without asking to another country.  Waiting to hear back, not expecting much.  Last order for AmigaStore from me.

Yesterday I got so mad on the Atari mouse I decided to look in the attic for my 30+ old and broken Golden Image mouse.

After one of the optical sensors replaced in the encoder this bugger is like day and night difference and this is not optical or laser mouse.

Still need to clean up this bugger ?

GoldenImageM.thumb.jpg.e92698df867aa02c3889ab2e9fa469e0.jpg

GoldenImageM2.jpg

Edited by Chri O.
add 2nd pic

So...

AmigaStore did respond to my complaint, said they would/should change the picture from the Tim Lenke one, and offered a refund.  I decided to keep it and try it out, and now that the below has been done I suppose I'll just chalk it up as a learning experience.

I installed the JesusD board tonight.  First it wouldn't sit flat in the case.  The case on the mouse I used has two plastic bars at 45 degree angle that stand out and fit into slots on the OEM board to keep it from moving around.  There is a ROUND hole in this position on the JesusD board, but its not big enough to fit over the bars.  I drilled and shaved the hole out just large enough to fit, and it is snug, sits flat, and won't move.

When assembling I had to put the ball cover on first, as the tabs won't clear the laser lens once the board is in place.  The laser lens only sits flush one direction so thats easy enough to figure out.  There are two round rubber risers that go where the board screws into the bottom case, these will keep the board from lifting, and thus prevent the lens from coming out of place.  There are two plastic square caps that go over the button switches.  Then just put the case back on.  When I tightened it all the way (normal, not over) the buttons were depressed already and would not click.  Backing the screws out maybe 1/8 turn allows the buttons to work, and the screws are sufficiently tight.

The board has 3 sets of headers on it.  I tried them all from right to left.  Only the left one worked with this STM1 mouse (serial starting with P1).

Now on to testing.  After firing up the STE to fully test, I have the following observations:

1) It tracks fast. Not much movement will take the mouse from one edge to the other.

2) For any precision, I had to move slowly, kind of defeating the purpose.

3) It exhibits some eratic behavior when decelerating, changing direction, and/or coming to a stop.  Makes it kind of hard to land on buttons and menu items.

4) Impossible to move/draw a straight line unless you move very slowly.  Probably due to #3.

5) Impossible to move/draw in a circle unless you move very slowly, even then it is difficult.  Probably due to #3.

After spending 30 minutes with it, I put the roller mech back in.  Since I like the ST mouse, I'll look for a Tim Lenke board.

Orignal:

IMG_2429.thumb.jpg.14e86dba1bf9b68f3d0a2fd9b263b38c.jpg

Not sitting flat, correct header:

IMG_2431.thumb.jpg.def8063dd11bf49c0cd6e314310ecc8c.jpg

Sitting flat and very snug:

IMG_2432.thumb.jpg.3a435be61ee8ddef73e4555518122424.jpg

DO NOT BUY THIS!

I'm about to buy one of these - the mouSTer – Modern mouse adapter for retro computers.

https://retrohax.net/shop/amiga/mouster/    31.99 $ Tax included

mouSTer Review YouTube.

At the moment the following retro platforms are fully supported:

Commodore 64/128 NTSC/PAL
MEGA65 https://mega65.org/
Atari ST/STe series
Atari Falcon
Atari 65XE/130XE/800XE
Atari 600XL/800XL
Atari 5200
Amiga 500/600/1200
Amiga 1000/2000/3000/4000

It also supports nearly all USB flash drives (config dump and upload), Playstation 4 controller, and nearly every USB mouse. For obvious reasons, all those mouse devices with lots of LEDs and additional electronics might not work due to the poor current output of DB9 ports in old computers.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After contacting Tim, he told me that the laser board is sold out and he don't knows if a new edition will be made or not in the future ?. Therefore, I ordered the Jesús de la Torre board. We will see what happens...

Actually I'm using the Amiga 500 mouse adding a small cable adapter and works like a charm, but I prefer to have the original hard of each computer and that's why I prefer the original Atari mouse instead of the Amiga one.

• 1 month later...

Just to add to this, I also had a Jesus board ordered from amigastore.eu sitting around.  Tried it out the other night and it's a bust.  All the problems described above and the tracking is terrible (and the Y axis is inverted).  Very odd for a product like this to work so poorly.

It seems that the problem is located in some 2A version motherboards only. These boards have a different mouse processing data speed and therefore the mouse don't correctly works. The Jesusdelatorre team is working in a new firmware that will solve this (I hope). I bought the converter two months ago and at the momenrt I still using the Amiga mouse with a small cable converter due to these problems...

Retaining the original style of mouse button switches on these is a ridiculous choice. Those dot switches are clunky, painful to use and prone to wearing out. Competently designed mice moved to microswitches for a good reason. I know that the plastic spacers for the mouse buttons stick down too far, but it's trivial to file them down, and worth it.

22 hours ago, dankcomputing said:

Retaining the original style of mouse button switches on these is a ridiculous choice. Those dot switches are clunky, painful to use and prone to wearing out. Competently designed mice moved to microswitches for a good reason. I know that the plastic spacers for the mouse buttons stick down too far, but it's trivial to file them down, and worth it.

This is the price that you have to pay to keep the mouse as close as possible to the original design. Of course, if do you want a good performance the solution is to use an USB adapter and connect a modern optical mouse.

In the case of old-computers collectors, we prefer the first case to the second.

Nah. Dot switches just suck and upgrading from them is every bit as useful as switching out the ball & roller mechanism for an optical sensor. Modern mice with adaptors will feel good but not match the original hardware's case - sleeper upgrades have an appeal.

The mouse that shipped with the Amiga 4000 can actually be upgraded from dot switches to microswitches, as it has solder holes for both - and the change is night and day. Sadly the replacement PCB for the A4000 mouse on that site doesn't retain this feature, otherwise I would have bought it long ago.

• 2 weeks later...

*** UPDATE *** DO NOT BUY the JesusDelatorre version!

I agree with @Ripdubski, do not but the JesusDelatorre version. I ordered him the kit in 01/01/2022 and as already explained, once received and installed did not work properly because the cursor had an erratic movement that make impossible to point an item without having to rectify its position continuosly. After contacting him, they told me that a new firmware version will be issued to correct this problem.

Yesterday I received the "new" board and the problem is the same, and also now the mouse moves by itself. Sometimes when do you leave the mouse still after a movement, the cursor starts to move over the screen. It's crazy! Due to this finally I decided to use my Amiga "tank" mouse again with the small cable adapter that works like a charm in the Atari 1040.

Edited by Papalapa