IGNORED

Normal to have to press reset to get cart to load?

I haven't messed with Intellivisions much, but i recently got 3 consoles from a yard sale.   The first one I'm looking at is an INTV System III.   it seems to work, but only after pressing reset (with cart inserted).   initial power on is a black screen.   is this normal behavior to have to press reset?

thank you

Edited by TopJimmy

10 minutes ago, TopJimmy said:

I haven't messed with Intellivisions much, but i recently got 3 consoles from a yard sale.   The first one I'm looking at is an INTV System III.   it seems to work, but only after pressing reset (with cart inserted).   initial power on is a black screen.   is this normal behavior to have to press reset?

thank you

Please read this thread - pay attention to the posts about the capacitor that should be swapped out (replaced)

• Like 1

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1209

this is the one i have from the lot.   No schematics found on this one, but it is different than the Intellivision schematics i've seen.  only two electrolytic caps on the entire system (one obviously power supply filter and one small polarized near video output section, none near reset switch).   Since it is basically working but requiring reset to load cart, I think I'm going to leave it as-is.   Appears to be a less-common variant, so I'll leave well enough alone.   

I literally just closed it back up this morning but i'll get internal pics if needed.   there's no separate power supply board.   transformer and one board.

when i looked it up, it was one of these I believe:

https://console5.com/wiki/INTV_System_3

I cannot seem to find pictures of the white version of mine online.   here's mine:

INTV3 1.png

INTV3 2.png

Edited by TopJimmy
  • Like 2

It's likely an INTV 1988 PCB.  They are rare and that beige case is even more rare.  The remaining question is which exec chip does it have at U2.

As Lathe26 pointed out, having to press reset to start the cartridge seems normal for this variant.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

That's awesome.   I'll open it up in the near future to get pics of the innards.   

At the same estate sale i also another similar console and the keyboard adapter.   Plus about 40 boxed mostly complete carts.

I have not messed with Intellivisions much since i was a kid (I had Atari, neighbor had Intellivision) but used to play it a lot.  

intv 3.png

intv 4.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopJimmy said:

That's awesome.   I'll open it up in the near future to get pics of the innards.   

At the same estate sale i also another similar console and the keyboard adapter.   Plus about 40 boxed mostly complete carts.

I have not messed with Intellivisions much since i was a kid (I had Atari, neighbor had Intellivision) but used to play it a lot.  

intv 3.png

intv 4.png

That white case appears to be a Tutorvision case with Super Pro parts as well. If you're looking to sell that one I'd be very interested and willing to make it worth your while. ???

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment.  looks like for this board I'm seeing normal (hit reset) behavior and all three of the systems work.

To those who've asked, i have no intentions to sell at this point.   These will be kept pristine in my collection for now.    Should i decide to sell in the future, I know where to come.   

I have a decent collection of 80s consoles, but never really focused on Intellivision.   I do have an unboxed woodgrain intellivision in not-so-great condition and a perfect boxed minty Tandyvision One.   And a bunch of carts (many boxed) i've picked up from thrift stores over the years.

The main thing that drew me to this specific lot was the 40+ boxed carts, not the consoles.   i didn't recognize anything unique about them!   Glad i picked them up.   it was a new estate sale company i'd not dealt with, and fortunately he took my buy-it-all offer at opening of the sale ($150 for everything).   many of these companies will not discount that quickly.

thanks again to everyone.

Edited by TopJimmy

On 5/12/2021 at 4:30 AM, TopJimmy said:

intv 3.png

intv 4.png

Wow!!!! What a dream find!?

Please post a pic of which games you managed to acquire,I imagine there are some late 80s INTV game releases in there.

As mentioned by others,the beige super pro system with the blue trim on the controllers is very unique.

Do any of you other guys have one of those?