IGNORED

My first Z80 assembly language game (1988)

nanochess

Hi all.

Just a few days ago I saw my old notebook in the corner for the nth time, In it I have took note of my first Z80 assembly language game, about a Karateka, written in 1988 when I was 9 years old.

Not the most beautiful game in the world, and embarrassingly simple, but it gave me impulse to get into assembly language.

I've ported it also to MSX and Colecovision just for the sake of watching it working again.

Enjoy it!

https://nanochess.org/notebook.html

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 14

Excellent!!...  remind me my first program in assembly in 6502 on c64!!..  a kind of pacman in character mode... i was 10 or 11 year old , I was even not aware we could redefine the characters , so i used only the standard PETSCII.  ... good old time...:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, youki said:

Excellent!!...  remind me my first program in assembly in 6502 on c64!!..  a kind of pacman in character mode... i was 10 or 11 year old , I was even not aware we could redefine the characters , so i used only the standard PETSCII.  ... good old time...:)

It sounds pretty cool! 

On 5/12/2021 at 11:33 PM, nanochess said:

my first Z80 assembly language game, about a Karateka, written in 1988 when I was 9 years old.

Ok, so you began with BASIC at the age of 5 and moved to assembly language when you were 9?

If it was any doubt before, Oscar is our Mozart!

(I might have fiddled a little with machine code around the age of 13-14 but didn't understand much about it until I was 21)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Ok, so you began with BASIC at the age of 5 and moved to assembly language when you were 9?

If it was any doubt before, Oscar is our Mozart!

(I might have fiddled a little with machine code around the age of 13-14 but didn't understand much about it until I was 21)

Haha, Mozart composed great melodies at young age, I was still doing bad games :P

• Like 2

Mozart wrote music for symphony orchestras, wind orchestras, string ensembles, piano and more. Oscar writes games for ColecoVision, Intellivision, Atari 2600, IBM PC, TI-99/4A and more. Both prolific and multi talented, besides (more or less) child prodigies.

• Thanks 1