IGNORED

colecovision controller question

bradhig1

21 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

They are uncomfortable to hold.  Is the Super Action Controller any better?

Mind you I haven't used them since the '80's but I remember the controllers being comfortable to hold, but found using the joystick to be awkward.  You can use Genisis controllers if you want, you just need to have a CV controller plugged into #2 to select the level.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:32 AM, bradhig1 said:

I hear sounds like cracking or bending when I move the controller as I play games is this normal?

Without being there to hear the sounds, the answer may be yes or no.  I received my CV as a Christmas present in 1982 and from day one, the joystick would make some cracking sounds.  At first, I thought they would break, but they never did, of course, I have not played my CV since the mid 90's when I moved out on my own and have not had room to set it up.  Same with my Adam.  My cousin who had an Atari 2600 used to make fun of my CV controllers because of the cracking sound and how uncomfortable they were, at least to hm.  I got used to them, although I'm not sure how I would feel using them today.  Ironically, I found the A2600 controllers to be awkward to use after getting used to the CV controllers.

Speaking of Adam, I want to say that I do not believe the Adam joysticks had that same cracking sound, but then I was so used to it that it may not have stood out to me.  What would be great is if a company made CV/Adam/Intellivision compatible controllers in an SNES form factor (probably about my favorite controller form factor, Genisis was my second choice).  I think I have seen it advertised here that someone/some company (Opcode?) has one that is about as close to that form factor as I have seen.  The one that OldSkool linked to is more of a arcade form factor, which I never really liked.  I came to the conclusion that arcade game controllers were not intended to promote comfort and extended gameplay, they were intended to keep players just uncomfortable enough that they run through their lives and have to pump in more quarters.  Something home console makers did not need to worry about. But each their own,  I understand that some like that style, but I think there's a reason why no console ever shipped with those style controllers as part of the normal release (I would not count a special edition console offering that came with one).

Yep, found the thread I saw, Opcode, although the thread is from 2019, not sure if they are still offering them:

Edited by FmrAdamuser
Wrong name quoted.