IGNORED

I present to you, the 7800Jr. Case

PacManPlus

Far out!

Looking at this, I was thinking of the troublesome hurdles separating the 7800 from current typical living rooms. Besides the pack-in controller pitfalls (which Edladdin for one has provided several solutions to), there's the power supply and the lack of composite (HDMI?) output.

Maybe this project can address those? This could be a Kickstarter, or an AA product.

An integrated FireFly could bring it up to the level of the CollectorVision Phoenix, come to think of it. Would be very gratifying to see that happen with a 7800-centric product.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nyandeyanen said:

I have an extra 7800 board which I repaired sitting around without a case, this would be perfect for it! Definitely following.

Can you post a picture of it, with the chips exposed, before you do that? :D

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Can you post a picture of it, with the chips exposed, before you do that? :D

I can! It's a post-expansion port board with the death grip cartridge guide purchased dead off Mercari, the voltage regulator and caps were replaced and now it fires right up. Plays fine with Rikki & Vikki too, this will be my 3rd 7800 if I can get a case for it. It'd make a great additional homebrew demo system the next time California Extreme has a physical show, even better with a PacManPlus case. I have another UAV kit ready to go once it's in an enclosure.

a7800-board.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Are we collecting nude 7800 photos in this thread?  I can add one.

Got to have the Atari Pr0n!  This gives me an idea... may work on it this weekend... but then AmigaOS 3.2 was just released... so probably will play with that!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Should never assume that everyone owns or has access to a 3D printer for things like this...

Ha, everyone should!  :P  Mine hasn't been turned on in a long while, but I do have a few projects I need to print up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Or maybe a striptease video as well? I'm sure @-^CrossBow^- has one somewhere. :D

Yeah just look at the UAV install video as I think I do a complete opening of a 7800 in that one. 

I can provide pics of semi stripped further boards if CPU really needs his fix!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Early '88 made unit that doesn't have the extra timing circuit components added. Where is the screw to secure you VR to the heatsink?

Weirdly, I don't think there was one.  I would have to look to see if I lost it or something. it worked last time I connected it without issue at least.  The board was in pretty bad shape when I got it. 

42 minutes ago, leech said:

Weirdly, I don't think there was one.  I would have to look to see if I lost it or something. it worked last time I connected it without issue at least.  The board was in pretty bad shape when I got it. 

Well, they work for a while without being attached securely to the sink, but the VR won't last long that way. The VRs on the 7800 get really hot. I think only the 12Ω resistor, 3904s, and +5 VR on the Intellivision get hotter.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, they work for a while without being attached securely to the sink, but the VR won't last long that way. The VRs on the 7800 get really hot. I think only the 12Ω resistor, 3904s, and +5 VR on the Intellivision get hotter.

Do you happen to know the correct size of screw / nut to put on the heatsink?