IGNORED

I present to you, the 7800Jr. Case

PacManPlus

Ok - I think I got the icons.

I tried to keep them similar in style:

Power                                      Pause                                      Select                                  Reset

image.png.8989cae352fd68dc4a999e818de2bbf2.png image.png.148af36d4e7d9e6b50e6a53e7140eaab.png image.png.b27ac2329e280e6df5966a6ba8c1b9df.png image.png.10a82548a95fb2a21f7e04732b8de8cd.png

I *LOVE* this idea.

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

BTW, it's very annoying that GCC glued the cart guide onto the motherboard ?

It isn't glued...

There is masking tape between the PCB and the cart guide that is covering two screws that hold the cart sleeve onto the mainboard. Cut away that tape, remove the screws and the it just pops out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys, but I keep tweaking the sides as the top doesn't quite just 'sit' on the bottom, and I'm trying to rectify that.  While I moved the vents forward and applied the graphics to the buttons,  I have removed the back panel as I didn't like how it looked or how it stuck out from the back.

Once I have my vision of how I wanted it to look, I will post pictures and then re-visit the back panel.

Edit: Plus going through yet *another* 3D printer didn't help matters much either.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I have removed the back panel as I didn't like how it looked or how it stuck out from the back.

My thought on this originally, was that you extend the entire back of the shell evenly and then do the same slotted idea but inverse within the case. That way the panels could be swapped out by sliding them in from the bottom side instead? And once in place it would have a more uniform and even look across the back? But again it would require that you extend the entire case along the back by however much space you needed for that?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

It's been put aside, for now.  I can't seem to get it to come out like I want it.  I'll get back to this at some point.

Have a beer or two, then take a look at it.  Worlds will open up.   :)

Edited by scotty
typo
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, PacManPlus said:

@leech mentioned having a shattered case on his 7800...  Someone here (I forget who) had a picture of their broken case as their avatar...  That's actually what inspired me to do this.  Nobody should have a broken 7800. 

That's me. I inspired Bob!  Actually, that was the handiwork of my ex-wife who hurled that 7800 across the room while I was at work. [To this day, she's the reason why I haven't been able to commit the funds necessary to better participate in this hobby].

I had bought it on ePay because I didn't feel like going to my parents' home and retrieving my 7800. Plus, it came with a few games and one of the.golden.ax's NES game pad conversions. As for the 7800, it's one of those filthy non-Expansion Port ones.  :)

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

@CPUWIZ has hinted more than once that there could be a good reason for adding in the expansion port to your 7800 if it doesn't currently have one now. Though for what that use might be, he hasn't stated. So it was just a thought to either design and offer the lower shell with an opening for the expansion port should it have one or something.

I gotta stop KLAXing it up but that's way too cryptic to pass up.

Let's see...  moving SaveKey and/or AtariVox functionality over to the Expansion Port instead of hogging up Joystick Port #2? It certainly couldn't be supporting 2 more controllers like say the Atari ST/Amiga Parallel Port Cable Adapters because CPU already previously said there wasn't enough bandwidth for such a scheme through that port...

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lynxpro said:

Reminds me that that infamous Samantha Fox poker game still hasn't been ported from the C64 over to the 5200 or 7800 yet...  Ahem.

It is on the Atari 8bit isn't it?  Artworx make it?  Wonder if you can just import the files...  sounds like a good project for someone haha.  I'd also like a VBXE enhanced version.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:25 PM, CyranoJ said:

Well @PacManPlus it certainly looks better than mine, which also suffered a catastrophic case malfunction ;)

image.thumb.png.b9b42488f3cd9a45cbc87774f806ed3a.png

Will you be making the files available so we can print our own?

Hey, who let CyranoJ out of the Jaguar kingdom? Can't spread his magic onto other Atari consoles when the Jag so desperately needs his talents still... unless it's for adding JagPad support to the vast number of ST games still remaining untouched from such enhancements/blessings.  :)

1 hour ago, leech said:

It is on the Atari 8bit isn't it?  Artworx make it?  Wonder if you can just import the files...  sounds like a good project for someone haha.  I'd also like a VBXE enhanced version.

I haven't heard it being on the A8 platform. And certainly not on the 5200. Which would definitely be noteworthy if it did. With or without VBXE enhancements.  :)   Maybe we should recruit GadgetUK to port it from the C64 to the Lynx like he did with the Alien game.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

I haven't heard it being on the A8 platform. And certainly not on the 5200. Which would definitely be noteworthy if it did. With or without VBXE enhancements.  :)   Maybe we should recruit GadgetUK to port it from the C64 to the Lynx like he did with the Alien game.

According to Mobygames, here are the platforms it was released for.

SmartSelect_20211028-025753_Fennec.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi all!

UPDATE:

Returned to this because I'd like to have these available at my booth in Free Play Florida in November.  I *plan* on doing a specific Atari-Age version (Blue and Orange) for this.

Getting very close to having this completed, the current pictures are below. 

THINGS LEFT:

- Move the cart port down 1 mm so as not to scrape the bottom of the cartridge case.

- Figure out how to not get blotches/imperfections on the first layer (so the top looks better than in the pictures...  especially the bottom-right of the cart port).

DRAWBACKS:

- In order to get all five screws in, I had to drill a screw hole in an empty area of the 7800 board.  This hole is outside of the RF shielding, in the dead space between the huge 16v cap, and the thick trace just outside of the shielding.  I will eventually see if I can make a version of this case that doesn't require this.

- Rubber feet need to be put on the bottom of the case.

I like this case because:

- It's smaller than the original.

- The joystick ports are parallel to the surface, which means things like the AtariVox+ or joystick extension cables won't need to be bent up.

- The difficulty switches are easier to get to.

- It can be printed in any 2 colors (the case and the badge / switches)

I was going to go with swappable backs depending on the A/V mods done, but I figured I'll just make a few different back styles. The bottom of the case needs to be printed anyway and it's just cleaner looking.

I know it's a little 'blocky', but the version you see in the pictures is supposed to house the RF shielding.  I plan on making a slightly lower profile version for people (like myself) that don't use the top half of the shielding any more.

Thoughts?

Img_0723.jpg

Img_0724.jpg

Img_0725.jpg

Img_0726.jpg

Img_0727.jpg

Img_0728.jpg

Img_0729.jpg

EDIT: *It looks like an orange cream-sickle :ponder: 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 14