IGNORED

atari Jaguar controller conversion question

rietveld

2 hours ago, rietveld said:

Hi.  Does anyone here have the instruction for modding the jag controller to work with a Colecovision

thanks

I looked inside one and it had the original keypad pcb replaced with a new custom made one. You also need to do a trace cut and wire jumper solder to swap the buttons so fire 1 is on the left. 

31 minutes ago, Swami said:

I looked inside one and it had the original keypad pcb replaced with a new custom made one. You also need to do a trace cut and wire jumper solder to swap the buttons so fire 1 is on the left. 

so no way to mod the original PCB?   I have a few spare controllers

2 minutes ago, rietveld said:

so no way to mod the original PCB?   I have a few spare controllers

I’m thinking it is accomplishing what a ColecoVision controller does with 6 extra pins, so it is likely very different, but I think doubledown who has made one and the guys that make the jaguar controller modded for the 5200 (retrogame.cyberphreak.com) are the guys to talk to to be sure. 

For the ones I made years ago, I kept the original Jaguar controller PCBs, then stuffed into the controller housing a ColecoVision PCB (for the diode array and contact points), then cut Jaguar PCB traces & hand wired/soldered point to point as necessary.  

You can keep it "simple" and convert a standard Jaguar controller for 2 button compatibility:

jagcolecoconversionas3.jpg

...or you can go fancy and use a Jaguar Pro controller, and then you can use the shoulder buttons for Front Line "arm rotation"...thusly:

cvsuperactioncontrolpadha6.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, doubledown said:

For the ones I made years ago, I kept the original Jaguar controller PCBs, then stuffed into the controller housing a ColecoVision PCB (for the diode array and contact points), then cut Jaguar PCB traces & hand wired/soldered point to point as necessary.  

You can keep it "simple" and convert a standard Jaguar controller for 2 button compatibility:

jagcolecoconversionas3.jpg

...or you can go fancy and use a Jaguar Pro controller, and then you can use the shoulder buttons for Front Line "arm rotation"...thusly:

cvsuperactioncontrolpadha6.jpg

thats a nice looking controller

44 minutes ago, rietveld said:

thats a nice looking controller

If you're gonna do it, do it right!

I still have the Jaguar Pro to SAC conversion controller, as it was the only 1 of those I ever built...mostly because the Jaguar Pro controllers have always been a bit pricey (even back then).  I think I made something like 7 or 9 of the standard 2 button versions, which I sold either here or on ebay.  They're not super hard to wire, just time consuming.