IGNORED

How the NES ruined gaming

How the NES ruined gaming.   It caused most people's perception of diffculty to be ruind by everyone saying NES games are hard and calling them NES hard.

Now most of the homebrew scenes are too busy trying to make their games harder and harder and harder without caring how stressed ,agitated , or angry they get.  It brought the end of selectable diffculty settings in games as well. 

It makes me wish the NES hadn't been made even if it saved gaming as people claimed because I am tired of too many homebrew games with ramped up diffculty.  I would like to see homebrew made the way Atari,Activisoin ,Imagic ,etc made games rather then trying to be NES hard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

You can't be serious.  Blame the so called modern indie and homebrew scene trying to chest thump about the fabricated Nintendo hard crap and trying to outdo it to seem challenging and edgy, that's more a realistic argument.

I'm not sure what your limited exposure is to Nintendo games, but selectable difficulty is pretty standard on a wide variety of titles so that comment made no sense.  Blame the low thought process fools making homebrew, they deserve it for peddling garbage with issues, but that's not Nintendos fault they're pumping out crap for a dead system from the 80s and early 90s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I have beaten plenty of NES games.   Bionic Commando,  Megaman 1,2,3,4,5,6, Dragon Warrioir , both Zeldas, all threee Marios, and more.  It's the diffculty spike that causes me to get stressed out playing homebrews and changes people made to some games.   Like many adventure clones making the bat more aggressive then in the original advemture.   Sorry I am slow to respond my laptop is running real slow due to a crash and may need to be replaced.

No that's fair.  I think your fury, depression, annoyance... it's the typically crap quality work put into most homebrew games.  Trust me, I get it, refuse to touch most of them because of bad design problems.  I can appreciate the insane hours most of them have put into the work, but if you're going to put THAT much in, how can someone be so utterly blind, stupid, or whatever when applying certain designs or mechanics to a game and want to be taken seriously?  That's why most of them sell in very limited amounts to collectors and get put on a shelf, not gushed over and enjoyed for years.  For every Cave Story, for every LaMulana, and so on you get like 10x or more garbage.  There's a reason those get released, loved, then re-released, sequels, enhanced, and so on even taken as far as free homebrew to commercial product -- because those people took the time to not just code it well, but DESIGN the game well too.

Most homebrew seems to have good ideas, but then muck it up with really crappy problems, such as the whole let's make this 'NES hard' bullshit, or not having very good visuals that confuse platform from hole, picky surfaces that don't always have good collision leading to death, or something else grating.  'NES hard' in particular it's the worst, a fake hard core difficulty from the get go or spikes, big ones, not even natural but in various spots that'll just piss you off and that's somehow 'NES 'like and a challenge.  No you're just a lazy asshole coder thinking you're making a name with a cool 'NES' throwback and just don't get it, probably wasn't even alive then to get it either.

If you (brad) can handle those games, finish them, and can complain about homebrew causing the hatred -- THAT is the problem, shitty game makers.

You can have hard, very hard, but it being by design and well handled and loved since the games work fluidly like the two Battle Kid releases, or you can get some of the utter gems like KHAN (games) does such as his NES conversion of Leisure Suit Larry 1 (only homebrew I own for the system) that's shockingly good as are a few of the others he did.

• Like 2

To me,  the NES ruined gaming in two ways:

1. almost every game was now a side-scrolling platformer

2. Super Mario specifically- too easy to earn bonus lives, and almost endless continues.   This ruined social gaming where you played your turn then passed the joystick.  Suddenly with Super Mario, one person would inevitably hog the NES until everyone else got annoyed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, zzip said:

This ruined social gaming where you played your turn then passed the joystick.  Suddenly with Super Mario, one person would inevitably hog the NES until everyone else got annoyed.

Not saying you’re wrong or anything like that, but just sharing a personal experience -- that sort of thing was happening with me and my friends long before NES.  When it was my turn to play games like Keystone Capers, Frostbite, Xevious, people would just get annoyed and leave.  ?  In hindsight, I guess it was a jerk-kid move, but seems like I could go forever on a lot of those.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, zzip said:

To me,  the NES ruined gaming in two ways:

1. almost every game was now a side-scrolling platformer

2. Super Mario specifically- too easy to earn bonus lives, and almost endless continues.   This ruined social gaming where you played your turn then passed the joystick.  Suddenly with Super Mario, one person would inevitably hog the NES until everyone else got annoyed.

Now now, in all fairness, the NES had more two-player simultaneous games than prior systems did...

Granted, right now I'm having a hard time thinking of anything other than Contra, but I know there WERE more multiplayer titles... and Super Mario Bros. 3 did do turn-based platforming well.

27 minutes ago, DavidD said:

Now now, in all fairness, the NES had more two-player simultaneous games than prior systems did...

Granted, right now I'm having a hard time thinking of anything other than Contra, but I know there WERE more multiplayer titles... and Super Mario Bros. 3 did do turn-based platforming well.

In addition to many sports titles...

Bubble Bobble

Jackal

Double Dragon 2

TMNT 2

TMNT 3

Dr Mario

Legendary Wings

Life Force

Balloon Fight

A Nightmare On Elm Street (four player compatible)

Smash TV (also four player compatible)

Palamedes

Tengen Tetris

Tengen Ms. Pac-Man

Mendel Palace

Guerilla War

Heavy Barrel

Also, only 4 on the list could be considered side scrolling platformers at all, if you count beat em ups as platformers.

• Like 3