IGNORED

NTSC BMX Airmaster (Atari)

Tempest

No shit, you have a legit NTSC Motorodeo? Was it boxed or loose? Was there any way to tell it apart from PAL by looking at it? Have you looked inside to make sure it's not a PAL cart with an EPROM in it?

Yes I do. I got it from Dan Cage at CGE (along with Ikari Warriors). They both look identical on the outside, the only way to tell is to plug it in and see. He ordered them both from Atari back in 90.

Tempest

No shit, you have a legit NTSC Motorodeo?  Was it boxed or loose?  Was there any way to tell it apart from PAL by looking at it?  Have you looked inside to make sure it's not a PAL cart with an EPROM in it?

It's real, I met Dan myself and had a long chat with him, he collected all of his games between 1980 and 1990 and all of his stuff is in mint condition. ;)

You miss all one game too, because maybe the first NTSC Asterix is found. But who knows?  

Is this an NTSC or a PAL game? sealed 2600 Asterix IS NTSC!!

I'm skeptical, but I wouldn't write it off. Afterall if they made a NTSC Obelix cart then why wouldn't they make an NTSC Asterix cart as well? Very interesting indeed...

Tempest

Not entirely off-topic....

I swear I recall holding Motorodeo in a Hills deparment store around '92. This was in Decatur, Alabama. Unfortunately, I did not buy the game because I wasn't collecting for Atari back then - but the reason I remember this so vividly is because I couldn't believe games were still available for the 2600. Yet the title "Motorodeo" was strange enough to stick with me... BTW, Hills went out of business around this same time (southeastern chain I believe).

Although I would not have known whether it was NTSC/PAL (I would assume NTSC since it was here in the states). How is this possible? No...I'm not senile, nor do I have a faulty memory so spare me the snide remarks - please!

Although I would not have known whether it was NTSC/PAL (I would assume NTSC since it was here in the states). How is this possible?

I assume Motorodeo and Ikari Warriors (and probably BMX Airmaster) were released to department stores in limited quantities (I know I remember seeing some late release games at Toys R Us and K-Bee). So it's very probable that you did indeed see an NTSC Motorodeo.

Tempest

@rsiddall - I don't think you're senile. I could swear I saw both Motorodeo and BMX in a Kay Bee store in the early nineties. I was mostly buying NES stuff then, but I remember looking at the 2600/7800 games they had on closeout. I remember being surprised at how many of the newer VCS games I had never heard of and was impressed with a BMX title and a Skateboard title. There were lots of Froggo games too.

Of course I curse myself today for not buying all of that stuff but I was under the spell of the Big N. :sad:

I assume Motorodeo and Ikari Warriors (and probably BMX Airmaster) were released to department stores in limited quantities

Good. This has bothered me for some time...

I just wished I had paid the $7.00 price now. And there were rows of these...yikes!

And don't we all wonder what happened to these games? I mean even if limited quantities were produced, they probably wouldn't have done print runs smaller than 10-20K units.. or would they? Do these games really have even smaller print runs than Quadrun? If so how would they even have measurable quantities to ship to retailers in the first place? :(

P

PS: You miss all one game too, because maybe the first NTSC Asterix is found. But who knows?

Is this an NTSC or a PAL game? sealed 2600 Asterix IS NTSC!!

:o That would be the rarest NTSC game of all if it is indeed NTSC. :o

I own one of the NTSC Asterix prototypes so I know the game exists. icon_surprised.gif

I am skeptical though because it supposedly came from Woita himself. Until that is 100% confirmed, I don't buy it. :ponder:

And don't we all wonder what happened to these games?  I mean even if limited quantities were produced, they probably wouldn't have done print runs smaller than 10-20K units.. or would they?  Do these games really have even smaller print runs than Quadrun?  If so how would they even have measurable quantities to ship to retailers in the first place? :(

Sometimes retailers can return product that they were unable to sell for credit with the Vendor. Then they are either recycled, sold in other markets, or destroyed so they can take a tax loss. I don't know if that's the case with these games but it's possible.

I am skeptical though because it supposedly came from Woita himself. Until that is 100% confirmed, I don't buy it.  :ponder:

Well, considering I got it from him at CGE last weekend, I can definitely confirm it 100%. :)

Steve made a post in the Buy & Sell forums on the DP boards about the value of a sealed Asterix. I suggested an amount. He later sent me an e-mail asking if I really wanted to buy it for that amount, and if so, he'd bring it to CGE. I said sure and we made the transaction on Saturday. He said he thought it was NTSC because of the N sticker on the box. I sent him another e-mail earlier today asking where he got it in the first place and this is what he said:

"Good to hear from you Kristine...Hmmmm weird stuff about the NTSC version...I got a case of these NTSC versions of Asterix when I completed both the Pal Version & the NTSC version...What may be the case here is that they intended to release the NTSC version for both America & Europe... It may be possible that it never got released! In that case you just made a killing of a deal!!!!!!! ;)"

So it looks like Mr. Woita owns some more of these. :)

Kristine

I am skeptical though because it supposedly came from Woita himself. Until that is 100% confirmed, I don't buy it.  :ponder:

Well, considering I got it from him at CGE last weekend, I can definitely confirm it 100%. :)

Steve made a post in the Buy & Sell forums on the DP boards about the value of a sealed Asterix. I suggested an amount. He later sent me an e-mail asking if I really wanted to buy it for that amount, and if so, he'd bring it to CGE. I said sure and we made the transaction on Saturday. He said he thought it was NTSC because of the N sticker on the box. I sent him another e-mail earlier today asking where he got it in the first place and this is what he said:

"Good to hear from you Kristine...Hmmmm weird stuff about the NTSC version...I got a case of these NTSC versions of Asterix when I completed both the Pal Version & the NTSC version...What may be the case here is that they intended to release the NTSC version for both America & Europe... It may be possible that it never got released! In that case you just made a killing of a deal!!!!!!! ;)"

So it looks like Mr. Woita owns some more of these. :)

Kristine

Cool. 8) That means people will have to pay $$$$ on eBay to get one. :ponder: