IGNORED

NTSC BMX Airmaster (Atari)

Tempest

I am skeptical though because it supposedly came from Woita himself. Until that is 100% confirmed, I don't buy it.  :ponder:

Well, considering I got it from him at CGE last weekend, I can definitely confirm it 100%. :)

Steve made a post in the Buy & Sell forums on the DP boards about the value of a sealed Asterix. I suggested an amount. He later sent me an e-mail asking if I really wanted to buy it for that amount, and if so, he'd bring it to CGE. I said sure and we made the transaction on Saturday. He said he thought it was NTSC because of the N sticker on the box. I sent him another e-mail earlier today asking where he got it in the first place and this is what he said:

"Good to hear from you Kristine...Hmmmm weird stuff about the NTSC version...I got a case of these NTSC versions of Asterix when I completed both the Pal Version & the NTSC version...What may be the case here is that they intended to release the NTSC version for both America & Europe... It may be possible that it never got released! In that case you just made a killing of a deal!!!!!!! ;)"

So it looks like Mr. Woita owns some more of these. :)

Kristine

That is great news!!! Congrats! :)

I got word on the grapevine that he does, and wants a lot more than $150 for them. :(

so how much is steve asking for them?

and BTW, steve and kristine are not the only ones that have an NTSC asterix. i have talked to one other person that claims to own one and i have one myself. i compared the game play with a PAL asterix i have and the NTSC version does not roll and does not have the top/bottom of the screen clipped like the PAL one does.

hmm, if anyone has a rarity 10 they want to trade (not obelix nor music machine) let me know, i might be persuaded to trade it for the right offer :wink:

Back to the topic here... I asked Dan to bring his Ikari and Motorodeo to Philly this year since I was very skeptical and wanted to see them first hand. (Which he did to my amazement.) I should get a finders fee from Tempest... Just kidding Matt :)

On a sidenote, Dan Mowczan had a NTSC Motorodeo back in the day (1998ish?) but I'm sure he doesn't any longer since he sold off his collection a few years back.

i have talked to one other person that claims to own one and i have one myself.  i compared the game play with a PAL asterix i have and the NTSC version does not roll and does not have the top/bottom of the screen clipped like the PAL one does.

And this just happens to come to you, even though there is no entry in the database for a NTSC Asterix ? :ponder:

i have talked to one other person that claims to own one and i have one myself.  i compared the game play with a PAL asterix i have and the NTSC version does not roll and does not have the top/bottom of the screen clipped like the PAL one does.

And this just happens to come to you, even though there is no entry in the database for a NTSC Asterix ? :ponder:

nope, it did not just happen :P what point are you trying to make/imply :sad: ? remember, there is still no entry for the NTSC puzzy games in the database, even though i loaned my copy to alex to download the ROM. just because it is not in the database doesn't mean someone (even me) doesn't own one. i have over a dozen NTSC games/major label variants that are not in the atariage database.

over the years, i have seen a couple ebay auctions in canada and pennsylvania for asterix from what did not look like a collector's lot. it didn't make much sense that a non-collector would happen upon a PAL asterix in the US/Canada. i asked the sellers/winners of those auctions if they could tell if the game was NTSC. two said they believed it was NTSC. so, after much much searching on ebay (and a couple of PAL asterix which the owner claimed they didn't know if it was PAL or not), i managed to snag a NTSC asterix myself :D . of course, now it will be much harder to find one on ebay at a reasonable price. the price would have stayed lower, as long as everyone assumed every asterix they saw was a PAL version. notice how much scepticism there is about NTSC motorodeo, bmx, ikari? it is ok by me if you want to continue believing NTSC asterix does not exist. one less bidder to compete against for the next asterix auction.

I've talked to Steve and the NTSC Asterix is quite real. My best guess is that it was meant for Canada along with the NTSC Obelix since they have a large French/Canadian population (who are probably the only people in North America who know what Asterix and Obelix are).

And I was so close to completing my NTSC Atari collection... So close... :)

Tempest

I'm not terribly familiar with the cartoon, but ever since I got into SMS collecting I've been noticing the names pop up again and again, so I pick them up for any console they're on when I get the chance. Too bad nobody has an Obelix (or at least for sale at a decent price) and I'm sure I'll never get an NTSC Asterix. :P

(who are probably the only people in North America who know what Asterix and Obelix are)

You don't know what you are missing. :)

I admit I never read any, so Thomas is right, but Matt's way off -- I knew about Asterix & Obelix before I ever got the games (in like 1986 or so from a guy who said they were prototypes, but which may have really been Jim Redd specials).