IGNORED

Last Strike: Feel the Panic

jgkspsx

The Last Strike is upon us, and you are the last hope.

Here is an amazing making of video for the awesome cover art:

And here is the soundtrack on the VLM, perfect if you like me wish you had a Jag CD just for VLM fun:

Here is the leaderboard: http://reboot-games.com/onlinescores/tls.php?result=1

I was briefly near the top 10 in Rookie but @PFG 9000 fixed my wagon ? 

Share your tips, tricks, favorite music tracks, and brag about your high scores here!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Here is the leaderboard: http://reboot-games.com/onlinescores/tls.php?result=1

I was briefly near the top 10 in Rookie but @PFG 9000 fixed my wagon ? 

Heh, sorry!  Keep at it though and you'll push me out of the leaderboards before long.

In other news, I was embarrassed when I finally got the pun in the first boss's name.  How that one missed me the first three times, I'm not really sure.

• Like 1

So, now that Last Strike has shipped and quite a few of you have it or will receive it soon, the competition I said I would run is now on.

The testing group are not elidgible to win and should be able to work out quite quickly what is required:

• The first person to meet the criteria (which I am not disclosing, other than saying that a requirement is you have to be an AtariAge user - suggest using your AA handle for score entry!) will get a nice reward and be declared the winner. 
  • There is no end date to this, it'll run until someone wins.
  • Don't worry if its still in the mail to you, nobody is even close at the time of posting this.

image.thumb.png.5cc1a3126c9d23b01c54b54f29dcc630.png

This is mostly harmless fun....  Good luck everyone!

• Like 5

OK, a few people didn't like the vagueness of the competition....

So lets make it: 

• At Midnight, 30th June, 2021 (My timezone, Central Australian)... 
  • Someone *must* have the highest possible rank (if not achieved, we will continue on until someone does!)
  • and also the highest score (it is possible to have lower scores, with higher ranking...)
  • Game testers are exempt (sorry guys, it wouldn't be fair - you've been playing this for months)

Shall be declared the winner.

As a side bonus:

• First person to achieve the highest possible rank will win a smaller prize.

Game on, people :)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

OK, a few people didn't like the vagueness of the competition....

So lets make it: 

• At Midnight, 30th June, 2021 (My timezone, Central Australian)... 
  • Someone *must* have the highest possible rank (if not achieved, we will continue on until someone does!)
  • and also the highest score (it is possible to have lower scores, with higher ranking...)
  • Game testers are exempt (sorry guys, it wouldn't be fair - you've been playing this for months)

Shall be declared the winner.

As a side bonus:

• First person to achieve the highest possible rank will win a smaller prize.

Game on, people :)

Thank you.  :)

• Like 1

I mean, it does say “top” in the name :)

There is a suspiciously wide range of scores with a Mostly Harmless rank. I’m guessing it means what it says. Maybe you have to save all the refugees or maybe you just need to not blow them up? Or maybe you need to not blow up piloted ships? I avoided shooting anything for a long time and then ran out of fuel and crashed ?

Maybe I should read the manual again…

• Like 1

You won't see the boss until you save a certain number of people.  There's a bar at the top left of the screen that measures your progress, and you fill it by saving peeps.  The bar needs to be almost full before the boss loop begins.  So you can fly through the level blowing stuff up and avoiding bullets all day long if you don't save any of the humans.

That's just my take though....I might be wrong.

• Like 1

Well, you don’t have to worry about me. I keep dying at the same section of stage 2 every time…

I keep accidentally picking up humans. It’s possible you need to pick up at least one to get to the boss? But my attempts to be misanthropic led to an “Unlisted” ranking.

I may be able to shed a bit of light on rank names.

My Mostly Harmless score of 556,000 was basically accidental. I was attempting a normal run; the second boss was close to me when its fiery death throes came upon it. I began positioning ship for vertical stage, collided with boss, and died. Whoops. I guess they're not dead until they're good'n dead! The boss reappeared, but the background switched to black. I realized I kept the points for killing it despite it reappearing, so I continued killing it, then colliding with it (twice if I retained a shield). Repeated until I ran out of ships. Thus the relatively high score and terrible rank.

My Squadron Leader run included killing four bosses and dying in vertical stage after fourth boss. I'd never come close to getting past the Ghouls and Ghosts horizontal level, and it was the first time I played the fourth level. I was focused on survival and blasting the snot out of everything, which included many survivors. (Invested in extra lives instead of rear shot, which didn't serve me or my score well.) Thus, I reckon, not a great score but decent rank. (Maybe squadron leader is above top ace? Seems counterintuitive, but even a top ace would be part of a squadron. Elephino.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1