IGNORED

Last Strike: Feel the Panic

jgkspsx

Life has been nuts, so I had to take a week or so off from Last Strike.  But I finally made it past the first vertical section tonight, and to the second level.  I like it quite a bit more than the first level.  Really nice-looking game, and the variety (trying not to spoil things here) in the second level makes things pretty lively.

I think my repro Pro Controller is busted.  It's been registering inputs that I never made, resulting in some frustrating deaths.  So I tried a stock controller and played much better.  I think the repro feels a bit sluggish in comparison, even without the input problems, so I guess it's time to retire it.

• Like 1

I would greatly appreciate it if everyone from Australia who purchsed this entered the competition with good scores (escpecially the Adelaide crew!)

(Yes, I just took the canvas print to the post office for a price check, lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sweet Mother of Gravy, I finished it. On Rookie ... with seven lives. Clearly the greatest feat since Eugene Jarvis was expelled from arcades for abusing the Defender and Robotron cabinets. I seriously doubted the possibility two weeks ago when I was crashing into everything, especially on third level where I figured the plants were safe foreground or background layers. (Or at least, you know, plants, not some kinda death plants.)

Unfortunately, I was thumping the fire button when game ended, so I have no idea what I skipped. I think it was something like "NONE OF YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US" or some such.

Tip for fellow CRTers: If you have any image clipping, avoid the sides of the screen on vertical levels! I'm missing probably a quarter inch on right side of my 30" 1999 Sony. Turns out those consarn vertical stages have walls.

I agree on the reproduction ProControllers. I've only used one of the four I ordered, but Dpad is a bit floaty. Seems to work better on games where it's used constantly. Last Strike requires a lot of precision taps and releases. Or at least that's how I'm playing it. I'll save the repros for games that use the buttons.

I don't use the word "heroes" often, but I can state without fear of error that the Reboot team are the greatest heroes in world history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OT: Might be a service menu where you can adjust the screen, I can on my B&O CRT from that era. Annoyingly some of my consoles shift the image slightly but most are ok enough to not bother changing it all the time. Can adjust all the warping etc as well. Mine is accessed by some hidden key press sequence on the remote

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 4:45 AM, PFG 9000 said:

Life has been nuts, so I had to take a week or so off from Last Strike.  But I finally made it past the first vertical section tonight, and to the second level.  I like it quite a bit more than the first level.  Really nice-looking game, and the variety (trying not to spoil things here) in the second level makes things pretty lively.

I think my repro Pro Controller is busted.  It's been registering inputs that I never made, resulting in some frustrating deaths.  So I tried a stock controller and played much better.  I think the repro feels a bit sluggish in comparison, even without the input problems, so I guess it's time to retire it.

You might want to take a look at the post linked below. I also had a problem with my Repro Pro Controller as some others but the fix is really simple so no need to retire it...

Fixing Repro Jag Controller

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

You might want to take a look at the post linked below. I also had a problem with my Repro Pro Controller as some others but the fix is really simple so no need to retire it...

Fixing Repro Jag Controller

Thanks!  I might open mine up and play around with the innards at some point, but I have plenty of spares and little technical skill.  I'll keep it in mind for a rainy day.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 7:50 AM, tripled79 said:

My copy seems to be lost in the mail. From the tracking number I can see it hasn’t moved since 8th of May...

That sucks. I had a Jag game that spent a week vacation in the Philadelphia post office. For a coupla daze after that, they had no record of my tracking number. Zoinks! Then it reappeared (likely from under a pile of Swisher Sweets butts and empty whiskey bottles) and after another several daze bidding farewell to its friends, the game resumed its journey.

In other leisure, I am officially 10 feet tall and covered in gold.

Typing of which, mayhap it might be more economical for Mr. Cyrano to find a printer in the winner's country to slash the shipping costs?

On 6/1/2021 at 7:50 AM, tripled79 said:

My copy seems to be lost in the mail. From the tracking number I can see it hasn’t moved since 8th of May...

Update! Looks like the package finally moved again! 2nd of June it landed in Chicago. Maybe next month it will cross the border...

• Like 2

New symptom: When I close my eyes today, I sense parallax scrolling despite seeing nothing. Trippy. Reminds me of the police-siren dreams I had in college in 1991; I’d binge on Road Rash on Genesis Friday evening, sleep, work morning shift in dishroom, play game of RR or three, take nap while anticipating another evening of rashing, and hear the siren getting closer and farther away. Doppler nightmares have been replaced in my dotage by parallax dreams.

Dear Reboot,

Please make future offerings less addictive.

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Chris Brockman said:

Where are the reviews?  Don't tell me you did not send any review copies out? :)  Thank you so much for producing new content for the Jaguar!  Reboot Rocks!

LOL, this isn't PC, Xbox or Playstation.

Although I still get emails and PMs from people who want a free copy to review on their channel.... which when you look has <10 subs ;D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I’m in process of moving my business’s furniture/equipment from second-floor office into storage as I look for place to buy. Rather than proffering a full review, I shall delineate every minor and major flaw I’ve discovered in graphics, character/background/animation, level design, game design, controls, and overall fun factor.

This list is exhaustive, so buckle in!

1: I think game drops a few frames on the fourth horizontal level, just as one of those cave rooms appear. I’m unsure if it’s one with the three dudes at the top, or one with the nasty enfilading/defilading fire. I’m pretty sure the scrolling judders for second or two; howbeit, I could just be tweaking so much I’m tripping balls.

2: No button mapping. I rarely make it through a game without accidentally incinerating everything with the bomb. I think moving fire to C and bombs to B would help me avoid screwing the putsch.

–30–