IGNORED

Mass Effect Remastered

digdugnate

Anyone pick this up?  Thoughts?

I was a little bummed (but not surprised in the slightest) that the digital version preloaded ME1 but you still had to download ME2 and ME3 when you loaded it up.  66 gigs, woof.

So far ME2 plays really nice and looks really nice.

I've only played and finished the first game eons ago.  Did start Mass Effect 2 at one point, but never finished it.  So I'll probably go through and play all three remastered games at some point.  Does look like a nice improvement over the original games, at least based on the trailer.

..Al

• Like 2

The first one was very good, but then they went and streamlined all the interesting things out (yes, Mako-haters, I mean that too :). They left ABCD "choice" romancing, across-the-room quests, one-corridor "bases" plus hilariously tiny "galaxy" and, worst of all, zero-consequences gameplay. Seriously, playing on next to hardest difficulty I stopped upgrading or using skills altogether somewhere 1/3rd into the game, and yet I was allowed to finish it anyway, only dying few times because of some camera snafus.

It was quite terrible and yet nobody seemed to mind, so it has became the norm in modern AAA gaming.

Edited by youxia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, youxia said:

The first one was very good, but then they went and streamlined all the interesting things out (yes, Mako-haters, I mean that too :). They left ABCD "choice" romancing, across-the-room quests, one-corridor "bases" plus hilariously tiny "galaxy" and, worst of all, zero-consequences gameplay. Seriously, playing on next to hardest difficulty I stopped upgrading or using skills altogether somewhere 1/3rd into the game, and yet I was allowed to finish it anyway, only dying few times because of some camera snafus.

It was quite terrible and yet nobody seemed to mind, so it has became the norm in modern AAA gaming.

This is TRUE.  I much preferred ME1.  Granted, it needed some improvements, but not the complete overhaul we got.  When ME2 first came out everyone was praising it and I was scratching my head.  It was a totally different game and the KOTOR formula that Bioware had blazed before was completely gone.  I liked that formula and kinda thought that ME2 shouldn't have even been called a sequel.  

Still the story and universe they built was absolutely great and the three game arc might feel in retrospect like it has no consequences, but I don't think there's been another series to even attempt the same type of direct game to game progression while taking into account player choices and face imports (that mostly work).  I kind of expected more companies to follow that format, but it hasn't really happened.  Even Dragon Age backed off of all of those things.  It makes me wonder if we will ever get a game series like Mass Effect again.

• Like 1

I'm still waffling on this one.

I originally got Mass Effect, not thinking I'd like it.  Then i loved it, and played it multiple times, and eventually won on the top difficulty setting.

Played ME2, though I can't remember if it was once or twice.

Played ME3, enjoyed it, that was enough.

(bought Andromeda when it came out but didn't play it very much).

So... not sure if I really want to go back and do it all again...

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:10 PM, wongojack said:

Even Dragon Age backed off of all of those things.  It makes me wonder if we will ever get a game series like Mass Effect again.

I thought DA was still doing it.  When I started DA:Inquisition a few months ago, it tried to guide me through importing my saves from 1 and 2, or clicking through choices to pretend I have saves from those games, so it acted like it was still gonna change the world a bit based on previous games.

I really liked the Mass Effect games when I played through them originally.  Didn't even mind the ending that so many people got "grrr..." about.   But I doubt I'm ready to play through them again, just yet.  Not enough time in the day for everything, sadly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I thought DA was still doing it.  When I started DA:Inquisition a few months ago, it tried to guide me through importing my saves from 1 and 2, or clicking through choices to pretend I have saves from those games, so it acted like it was still gonna change the world a bit based on previous games.

I really liked the Mass Effect games when I played through them originally.  Didn't even mind the ending that so many people got "grrr..." about.   But I doubt I'm ready to play through them again, just yet.  Not enough time in the day for everything, sadly.

Right DAI let you answer the questions or update a further list of questions on your Origin profile . . . something like that, but it did NOT import your save info.  Same concept as ME, but slightly more work for the player.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I'm running into this more and more trying to balance home/work/life time.  A person would think as their kids were getting older that means more free time, but sadly it doesn't. lol

I'm a bit into my ME2 playthrough, but I'd really like to check out ME1 again.  I probably will never finish the remaster!  ?

The Microsoft Rewards timeframe for bonus points was nearing its end, so I figured I'd eventually buy it... so I bought it.  Started off with ME1.. this will take me a long time, with limited gaming time, like so many of us.

So far, it's nice to go back.. but the first time around, I actually clicked and listed to all the conversations and backstories and codex info etc... I'm kind of clicking, then blowing by a lot of it if it's not important info.

• Like 2

It's odd. I think ME1 does storytelling best. ME2 is the best all-round game. ME3 is mostly good until you relise that nothing mattered in the end (literally), which was utterly jarring given what had come before. All three games have issues; ME1's gameplay is clunky as hell and they all suffer from grindy bits for the sake of making the game seem longer (I hate that). Sure they're optional, if you don't mind losing some of your crew... Overall though, they're great games. Not bothered with the remasters to be fair, I've bought them enough already on multiple platforms.

Andromeda was a travesty at launch. I bought it brand new quite a bit later for £6, which says it all. Initially I thought I'd play it as it was on the disc without patching it just to see if it was as bad as had been shown. What an utter mess it was, given Cyberpunk is allegedly worse than this, I think I dodged a bullet there. That said for £6 and with the patches on there, I kinda enjoyed Andromeda. It's a light snack after the first games, but it has much more refined combat and even the grindy bits were more enjoyable.

I'm not sure they can pull it off again. I suspect most of the talent at Bioware bailed long ago, as they tend to when their studio is swallowed up by a publishing behemoth that focuses solely on annual profit increases. All they do is milk IP as long as they can, then burn the studio, grab another and rinse/repeat. The remaster is a perfect example of that. If it stirs up enough interest we might get another ME game, but it'll likely be rubbish and filled with MTX now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, juansolo said:

It's odd. I think ME1 does storytelling best. ME2 is the best all-round game. ME3 is mostly good until you relise that nothing mattered in the end (literally), which was utterly jarring given what had come before. All three games have issues; ME1's gameplay is clunky as hell and they all suffer from grindy bits for the sake of making the game seem longer (I hate that). Sure they're optional, if you don't mind losing some of your crew... Overall though, they're great games. Not bothered with the remasters to be fair, I've bought them enough already on multiple platforms.

Andromeda was a travesty at launch. I bought it brand new quite a bit later for £6, which says it all. Initially I thought I'd play it as it was on the disc without patching it just to see if it was as bad as had been shown. What an utter mess it was, given Cyberpunk is allegedly worse than this, I think I dodged a bullet there. That said for £6 and with the patches on there, I kinda enjoyed Andromeda. It's a light snack after the first games, but it has much more refined combat and even the grindy bits were more enjoyable.

I'm not sure they can pull it off again. I suspect most of the talent at Bioware bailed long ago, as they tend to when their studio is swallowed up by a publishing behemoth that focuses solely on annual profit increases. All they do is milk IP as long as they can, then burn the studio, grab another and rinse/repeat. The remaster is a perfect example of that. If it stirs up enough interest we might get another ME game, but it'll likely be rubbish and filled with MTX now.

My wife and I are at odds with each other about ME:Andromeda; she liked it a lot more than I did.  I enjoyed it, but not enough that I was willing to finish it.  Not a bad game at all, just kind of 'eeeh' for me.

Yeah, Andromeda was just an average game for me.  I had a lot of complaints, but I got to a point where I just decided to push through, and I did finish it.  Talk about your choices not mattering . . . I talked to one of the factions one time, and they still showed up at the end of that game.

I have now played ME1 Legendary for about 10 hours.  The updated visuals are nice and the gameplay feels barely updated at all, so if you liked ME1 (as some of us on this thread have expressed we did) they didn't eff it up or anything.  I suppose it is possible that I don't really remember ME1 gameplay, but I played that game A LOT.  Got 100% achievements with all the character specific ones and bugs etc.

Overall what I am struck with is the "cinematic" quality of the game.  It is reminding me that once upon a time (more than photo-realism) imitating cinema was what games were pushing for - putting you into the feel of a movie/film/flick aka cinema experience.  I'm not sure that any form of entertainment is really imitating that anymore - even cinema itself.

On top of the deliberate camera moves of the in-game cut scenes, the rising crescendos of the incredible soundtrack, and the guiding hand of character development, the game dips away from cinema and becomes part fictional encyclopedia which I also enjoy very much. However, no one I know or who is related to me who hasn't graduated High School will ever enjoy that and might not even notice it exists.  Words on a screen (even if they are read to you) are now something to be ignored unless they tell you why you can't access the internet (or some equally desperate scenario).  Preferences and mediums of entertainment are changing so fast now that I think we are going to see the gap widen between entertainment for adults and for children until of course the children become adults and things probably change again just as fast.  Mass Effect 1 will never be made again.  At least not as a piece of entertainment intended to have mass appeal (no pun intended).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Yeah, Andromeda was just an average game for me.  I had a lot of complaints, but I got to a point where I just decided to push through, and I did finish it.  Talk about your choices not mattering . . . I talked to one of the factions one time, and they still showed up at the end of that game.

I have now played ME1 Legendary for about 10 hours.  The updated visuals are nice and the gameplay feels barely updated at all, so if you liked ME1 (as some of us on this thread have expressed we did) they didn't eff it up or anything.  I suppose it is possible that I don't really remember ME1 gameplay, but I played that game A LOT.  Got 100% achievements with all the character specific ones and bugs etc.

Overall what I am struck with is the "cinematic" quality of the game.  It is reminding me that once upon a time (more than photo-realism) imitating cinema was what games were pushing for - putting you into the feel of a movie/film/flick aka cinema experience.  I'm not sure that any form of entertainment is really imitating that anymore - even cinema itself.

On top of the deliberate camera moves of the in-game cut scenes, the rising crescendos of the incredible soundtrack, and the guiding hand of character development, the game dips away from cinema and becomes part fictional encyclopedia which I also enjoy very much. However, no one I know or who is related to me who hasn't graduated High School will ever enjoy that and might not even notice it exists.  Words on a screen (even if they are read to you) are now something to be ignored unless they tell you why you can't access the internet (or some equally desperate scenario).  Preferences and mediums of entertainment are changing so fast now that I think we are going to see the gap widen between entertainment for adults and for children until of course the children become adults and things probably change again just as fast.  Mass Effect 1 will never be made again.  At least not as a piece of entertainment intended to have mass appeal (no pun intended).

that's a wonderful summation of it, i think.  something that struck me on Mass Effect 2 was the fidelity of skin textures and stuff- it's absolutely bonkers!  i'm not a fan of overly-aggressive lens flare, but all the games look so. damn. good. in the remaster.

• Like 1

I've already played this more than I thought I would, and yes, it looks very good.

I've enjoyed hearing the main characters' stories and intros, etc.. but like I said, the other stuff, I click on just to fill the codex and move on.  I'd also forgotten how much I enjoyed hearing Wrex speak.

So far, fun.  I hope I stick with it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an Xbox series X today and had the Mass Effect trilogy waiting for it when I got it home.

So far so good. I've played about 15 minutes. Can you not customize your character in this latest version? Maybe I missed it, or maybe it comes later?

One thing that strikes me about the latest system is it's pretty much exactly the same as the Xbox One, from the dashboard anyways. I plugged in my external drive and quick as pie 100s of games to play, but it was like I was looking at my Xbox One.

I know it's supposed to load faster and have better graphics, but it was pretty jarring, to go from the One yesterday and the Series X today, and it pretty much looks and functions exactly the same so far.

22 hours ago, wongojack said:

You can definitely customize.  I created a few faces right away when I purchased it.  The option is at the beginning where you choose the sex of the character, you can choose a default face or design your own.

AH very cool. I figure I might have missed it. Not a huge deal. I'm really enjoying my latest play through of the game. It's been almost 15 years after all. 

I remember the load times used to be awful in the game, now, they take a few seconds!

• Like 1

I beat the first game (again) and I guess I forgot how cheesy the ending was. Still a great experience. I started a new game of ME2. Wow the graphics seem way more advanced in the second game. I didn't remember that from back in the day. The first games, remastered graphics, didn't really blow me away, but the opening of ME2 sure did. Looking forward to continuing the adventure.

That said... After playing the first game, I found myself missing some of the features of Andromeda. I know that game wasn't very well received, and I did pick it up a couple years after the launch, so maybe a lot of the initial issues were ironed out, but I really thought it was a solid entry in the series.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...