IGNORED

Multi Switch Household

MrBeefy

https://www.engadget.com/nintendo-switch-second-console-144551868.html

Saw an article talking about how there are millions of households that have purchased more than one Switch.

Anyone here done that? I could see it being nice having a Lite as an easier on the go device. 

If you have more than one what are the ups and downs of it? I'm thinking your digital library would be a pain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Saw an article talking about how there are millions of households that have purchased more than one Switch.

Anyone here done that? I could see it being nice having a Lite as an easier on the go device. 

If you have more than one what are the ups and downs of it? I'm thinking your digital library would be a pain.

It's supposed to be fairly easy to share digital libraries between two household Switch units... not "painless," mind you, but easy.

I haven't tried this, but I believe the "trick" deals with that fact that ALL users on a Switch game play any digital games attached to a user who has that Switch as their primary console.

To share games between systems... in theory what you'd do is:

• Have User A set Switch 1 as his primary console.
  • Have User B set Switch 2 as her primary console.
  • Have User A log into Switch 2.
  • Have User B log into Switch 1.

Any account on a Switch can play any games by any user with a primary account on that console.  In addition, a single user can access/play all their own games on ANY other console if they log in.  By "swapping" systems, each user can access 1) all the titles currently installed by a primary user, and 2) all their own software (although the system will do an internet check periodically to confirm ownership.)

If you don't mind needing to have an internet connection once every __ hours, you could share game collections between two systems.

• Like 1

We do.  I've got the original, kiddo has a lite.  They're not linked though so I don't have the benefit of picking up where I left off.

Ive considered my own lite, that gray one I like it, but when I got to reading about how saves would be handled between the two it was a put off an didn't want to bother.

• Like 1

There's 4 Nintendo Switch consoles in this house - I own a launch Switch, my step-daughter owns a Switch Lite and my wife owns one of each model. She wanted a 2nd for Animal Crossing 2-box gaming. It's all she plays and she rarely asks for anything so I grabbed her a 2nd one a while back. The investment freed up my Switch so I could play it again while she's Crossing Animals!

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

There's 4 Nintendo Switch consoles in this house - I own a launch Switch, my step-daughter owns a Switch Lite and my wife owns one of each model. She wanted a 2nd for Animal Crossing 2-box gaming. It's all she plays and she rarely asks for anything so I grabbed her a 2nd one a while back. The investment freed up my Switch so I could play it again while she's Crossing Animals!

Wife plays AC and after she does her chores plays on CG51. Her and backgammon have more time than it took me to beat Bloodstained. It's why another Switch sounds appealing.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2021 at 12:23 PM, MrBeefy said:

we don't have any Lites- just four 'regular' switches.  everyone has their individual libraries, but since a good majority of the games we own are physical they are passed around. :)

that being said, everyone also has their own digital games tailored to their tastes.  we also use the Nintendo 'family plan' for SNES/NES stuff and backups/etc.

• Like 2

I have struggled with whether to make my Switch OG or my wife’s Switch Lite the primary console. We bought all the games with one account. We didn’t foresee that when traveling we would get blocked from playing a game we physically own on the non-primary console because we downloaded some free DLC. I guess the mitigation is to switch off on the primary depending on which Switch we’re taking with us.

Come to think of it, this arrangement would prevent us from playing the same game against each other online, even if one of us downloaded it and the other had a physical copy. That’s kind of a bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this, I think we have a sickness in our house, lol.  

I just picked up a Switch Lite for Mrs. Digdug; I think her intention was that she wanted to 'multibox' Animal Crossing or somesuch.  It's a win/win for me because if she decides it's not quite what she wants, I'll co-opt it as a secondary Switch to use for when I'm taking her and our youngest to their multitude of doctor appointments.

I see several downsides to the Lite, but the form factor is pretty appealing if you're on-the-go a lot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Bumping this, I think we have a sickness in our house, lol.  

I just picked up a Switch Lite for Mrs. Digdug; I think her intention was that she wanted to 'multibox' Animal Crossing or somesuch.  It's a win/win for me because if she decides it's not quite what she wants, I'll co-opt it as a secondary Switch to use for when I'm taking her and our youngest to their multitude of doctor appointments.

I see several downsides to the Lite, but the form factor is pretty appealing if you're on-the-go a lot.

I see kids with them all the time and I like the form of them too. So how many is that in your house now?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Need to make it an even number.

Well, I guess technically we have six, if you count the one I electrocuted with static shock in January. 

I have it boxed up but haven't had the desire to mess with it- it has probably 1000+ hours on the console and is three years old at this point.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Well, I guess technically we have six, if you count the one I electrocuted with static shock in January. 

I have it boxed up but haven't had the desire to mess with it- it has probably 1000+ hours on the console and is three years old at this point.

Dang. Wonder if Nintendo could fix it for you?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Asaki said:

I looked into sending my 3DS to Nintendo after the warranty had expired, and it was $100. I could've bought another 3DS at that price.

Was way cheaper just to get parts off eBay.

I had meant to reply to this and just now remembered.  :)

That's kind of the intention with my electrocuted Switch- when I want to dork with it I'll likely just look at swapping guts from something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I had meant to reply to this and just now remembered.  :)

That's kind of the intention with my electrocuted Switch- when I want to dork with it I'll likely just look at swapping guts from something else.

So you haven't checked? Might be a cheap fix.

• Like 1