IGNORED

My first attempt to restore a cartridge label

Yoruk

Hello there,

I just wanted to share one of my current DIY project. I have this VIC-20 cartridge in my collection, with the label in a very poor state :

DSC_0985l.thumb.jpg.e6f967af655eb5cc9ca9e6ae47c7876c.jpg

So I wanted to do the same thing presented by the 8-Bit Guy, recreating the label :

My plan was to scan the cartridge label, restore the picture, and print/stick the new label on the cartridge. ?

I tried to see if something similar was already made or not, but I didn't really find something interesting. On the other side, it looks like that there is different versions of the cartridge (some are showing a "made in hong kong" text) ! So I choose to keep going with my label version.

Here is the raw scanned data :

raw.thumb.jpg.fd4a8a5127839e8d65ea00c370917f06.jpg

The support itself is not in a bad condition, but the colors are quite bad (moisture ???). The cover plastic layer is also very damaged (bumps), even it's not visible on the scan.

After a couple of hours on Gimp, here is the current result :

wip.thumb.jpg.414ec7fba27454db4ae9c37bdb643ddf.jpg

I used threshold filters to extract the two colors (text, logos) and the two brown lines into two layers, and a small brush/eraser to clean the edges. I used the scan of an other label to compute the averages colors. Here are them : #2B1E18 for the text, #C69658 for the two brown lines.

Didn't know yet if I will have to use Inkscape or similar to vectorise everything, I'll make some print samples to see...

Next step in a couple of days : finishing the picture, and sample prints to see the result !

I tried to search the fonts, but it looks like that they don't exist. If someone have more information... (a name ?). Thanks !

Edited by Yoruk
typo

Attached is a PNG I made with Painshop Pro to replace the damaged label on my Jelly Monsters cart.  I decided to make the Commodore logo more colourful.   

726883915_jellymonsters4.thumb.png.90312e9fa24a789589f1cd7ccd157c2e.png

The label was printed by Sticker You.   The label was 5" by 2.5"  and I used a xacto knife to bevel the lower edges.

20210516_065559.thumb.jpg.9ab63874dadd0be76e12e2d940d2732a.jpg

I thought I had the PSP assets file with the blank label but I can't find it now.  I probably used the Final Expansion label as a starting point and deleted what I didn't need, adding in what I wanted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 6:18 PM, Yoruk said:

Is the other font ("VIC-1xxx") available ? Did someone know it's name ?

Not a 100% version afaik.

Over at Denial we discussed the same question years ago and concluded that

http://ufonts.com/fonts/monotone-regular.html

plus some extra work in a gfx app of your choice to "build" an outline is the best option we have/had.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:22 AM, elwee said:

Not a 100% version afaik.

Over at Denial we discussed the same question years ago and concluded that

http://ufonts.com/fonts/monotone-regular.html

plus some extra work in a gfx app of your choice to "build" an outline is the best option we have/had.

Thanks a lot ! I'll try to see what can I do. There is a lot options to customize the fonts contours in Inkscape, maybe I can do something. ?