IGNORED

AmigaOS 3.2 announced. (haven't found where to buy yet).

leech

24 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Hot damn!

By the way, the announcement at EAB indicates ordering from your favorite dealer, so you might not be able to buy direct from Hyperion.

Hyperion's site seems to hint at it.  Amiga on the Lake doesn't even mention it yet.  I first heard of it from the Amikit discord.

25 minutes ago, leech said:

Hyperion's site seems to hint at it.  Amiga on the Lake doesn't even mention it yet.  I first heard of it from the Amikit discord.

While I am all for supporting my Amiga dealers, at the same time I appreciated being able to download my purchase from Hyperion.  I can imagine there are far too many pie rats around for such a milestone release.  Now I just need to get my 4000D fixed and ready to go.

14 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

While I am all for supporting my Amiga dealers, at the same time I appreciated being able to download my purchase from Hyperion.  I can imagine there are far too many pie rats around for such a milestone release.  Now I just need to get my 4000D fixed and ready to go.

From reading the announcement it sounds like they're distributing it as a CD-ROM (I'm sure Hyperion will have just a digital download for the iso) but at leas this time around they're not doing a per machine purchase, which is nice.  I'll probably end up ordering enough eeproms to replace the ones in my two A4000D motherboards, and one for my A500, even though it has a vampire in it and doesn't really need it...

How it's been told by the devs is that the CD covers all models (licencing for multiple machines is a different issue), and Hyperion are delaying the release of the digital downloads to allow dealers to ship CDs first. When they do offer digital downloads (presumably in a few days or a week or two), those downloads *will* be machine-specific, so you'll need a different download for different machines, as it was with 3.1.4.

1 minute ago, Daedalus2097 said:

How it's been told by the devs is that the CD covers all models (licencing for multiple machines is a different issue), and Hyperion are delaying the release of the digital downloads to allow dealers to ship CDs first. When they do offer digital downloads (presumably in a few days or a week or two), those downloads *will* be machine-specific, so you'll need a different download for different machines, as it was with 3.1.4.

Lame.  In this day and age, if you have multiple machines, it's probably cheaper in the long run still to do the digital downloads (so I'd buy the one for the A500/2000, 1200 (for vampires) and 4000) and then just burn the ones to roms as needed.  But it's also nice to have a physical set of disks, which is hwy I did end up buying two physical copies as well (as I didn't have enough eeproms for all of the systems at the time).  But hey, I should at least put the weird adapter to use that I bought for programming Amiga Kickstarts :)

55 minutes ago, Daedalus2097 said:

Looks like RetroPassion in the UK were the first to offer it in their store (which has promptly ground to a halt with a deluge of traffic :D ).

Ha, wonder how many people are attempting to buy it.  Not sure I would ever get the update if I ordered from the UK.

I will likely buy a single physical copy for one machine, then buy the digital download (essentially just a license) for the others.  I have a 4000D, a 1200, a couple of 500s, and a 2000.

3 hours ago, leech said:

But hey, I should at least put the weird adapter to use that I bought for programming Amiga Kickstarts :)

Yup, I got one of those, too.  Burned a couple of 3.1.4 for my 4000D before it blew a gasket.  Problem I have right now, other than getting the 4000D to remain stable, is that I have so much loaded into the Deneb, I need to clean it out in favor of all the new stuff in the 3.1.4 and 3.2 ROMs.

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

I will likely buy a single physical copy for one machine, then buy the digital download (essentially just a license) for the others.  I have a 4000D, a 1200, a couple of 500s, and a 2000.

Yup, I got one of those, too.  Burned a couple of 3.1.4 for my 4000D before it blew a gasket.  Problem I have right now, other than getting the 4000D to remain stable, is that I have so much loaded into the Deneb, I need to clean it out in favor of all the new stuff in the 3.1.4 and 3.2 ROMs.

Ha, I've so far been able to resist getting an A1200... as it is my 1st A4000D is the most expensive retro computer I own, with a cyberstorm PPC in it that I paid like 1k for... then paid another 1k on just to get the PPC part to work properly (and it was overclocked to 420mhz) but then I could never get OS4.1 to run very stable on it (the OS is fine, but running some programs and such, tends to make it crash).  Still haven't spent the time to update the install to the new patch... 

I'm just happy to see some updates for such a fine operating system!  I actually was thinking, I thought they had said there wouldn't be a new kickstart needed for 3.2 at one point, but with things like new boot menu features, I'm guessing it does.

@leech I picked up two CyberStorm PPCs from Douglas McLaughlin (of StrICQ fame,) neither with a working PPC.  I sent both off to Amiga Kit to see if they could revive one of them.  That was, oh, about ten years ago, and I have never seen them since.  I did not lose any money on the deal, but I would sure like to have a PPC in my 4000.

That said, I have a Blizzard PPC for the 1200, I have just never installed it.  I have a copy of OS4.1FE which I would like to get running.  Time is the killer of all projects.  (For that matter, I have a Vampire and an ACA500, neither of which have been worked with beyond initial testing -- I may have to bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and just cull the herd.)

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

@leech I picked up two CyberStorm PPCs from Douglas McLaughlin (of StrICQ fame,) neither with a working PPC.  I sent both off to Amiga Kit to see if they could revive one of them.  That was, oh, about ten years ago, and I have never seen them since.  I did not lose any money on the deal, but I would sure like to have a PPC in my 4000.

That said, I have a Blizzard PPC for the 1200, I have just never installed it.  I have a copy of OS4.1FE which I would like to get running.  Time is the killer of all projects.  (For that matter, I have a Vampire and an ACA500, neither of which have been worked with beyond initial testing -- I may have to bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and just cull the herd.)

Ouch!  Yeah there is basically one person in Poland that seems to be trusted by all as THE guy for sending Cyberstorms to.  My Mk1 died sadly.  I sent it to him, and it was just fried.  The RAM started smoking when I turned it on one day... he did fix / overclock the PPC one.  He said it was the SCSI chip that was bad, but I got a higher clocked CPU out of it.  But now I am terribly paranoid about putting the case on, so that projwct has sat there for too long in pieces Ha!

I'll verify when I get my own copy and read the EULA, but a few people are reporting that the CD version has a licence for as many machines as you want to install it on, so long as you own them. So just one CD copy is all you'd need for all your machines. Interesting if that is indeed the case - it's not been that way before.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:22 AM, OLD CS1 said:

I love OS 4.1FE, but on a BlizzardPPC it's going to be kinda slow and limited. It really needs more powerful hardware to properly stretch its legs.

5 hours ago, Daedalus2097 said:

So just one CD copy is all you'd need for all your machines. Interesting if that is indeed the case - it's not been that way before.

That would be a huge change, and not one that I expect.

5 hours ago, Daedalus2097 said:

I love OS 4.1FE, but on a BlizzardPPC it's going to be kinda slow and limited. It really needs more powerful hardware to properly stretch its legs.

What is the bottle-neck?

6 hours ago, Daedalus2097 said:

I'll verify when I get my own copy and read the EULA, but a few people are reporting that the CD version has a licence for as many machines as you want to install it on, so long as you own them. So just one CD copy is all you'd need for all your machines. Interesting if that is indeed the case - it's not been that way before.

From what I read online, they are initially going to send out physical disks to vendors for distribution that contain all the machines' kickstarts on a single disk.  The disk contains a pre-install environment, and the 28(?) Floppy disk images. 

But later, the digital downloads from Hyperion are going to be just as before, where it is per machine (or in the case of 500/600/2000 the same one.  Also fun that 4000 and 4000T are different because of the SCSI module...)

There is also an issue with 4.1FE Classic needing a VERY specific set of hardware to work properly if you also wish to dual boot with 3.x. took a LOT of digging to get mine set up.  (And a lot of cash).  So now I have USB, Network, SCSI, etc.  Now if only I could trust the cooling and put the lid back on haha

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, OLD CS1 said:

What is the bottle-neck?

The amount of RAM you can connect is the first hurdle - the OS itself is fine, but newer applications and games are pretty big. CPU speed in itself isn't the best, and most DMA-only devices don't work, so the SCSI bus on the Blizzard can't be used. Onboard IDE is very slow, and access to graphics cards is much slower than on native PPC hardware. The 68k CPU isn't used, instead it's emulated on the PPC which probably will be slower than an 060 with a ~233MHz PPC, so 68k applications will be slower than under 3.x. So, it works, but the experience compared to even the most lowly PPC boards will compare quite poorly.

27 minutes ago, Daedalus2097 said:

The amount of RAM you can connect is the first hurdle - the OS itself is fine, but newer applications and games are pretty big. CPU speed in itself isn't the best, and most DMA-only devices don't work, so the SCSI bus on the Blizzard can't be used. Onboard IDE is very slow, and access to graphics cards is much slower than on native PPC hardware. The 68k CPU isn't used, instead it's emulated on the PPC which probably will be slower than an 060 with a ~233MHz PPC, so 68k applications will be slower than under 3.x. So, it works, but the experience compared to even the most lowly PPC boards will compare quite poorly.

Uhm, SCSI bus works fine on the Cyberstorm.  I always thought the Blizzard was basically the same, but on an 1200 instead of a 4000.  Part of why my A4000 is so pricey is I just 'had' to have SCSI -> SATA converters (for both hard drive and CD rom... 

But yeah, getting more RAM, especially on an A1200 is difficult.  I think I have close to half a gigabyte on my A4000, between the bigram card, and the accelerator.  But you're absolutely right in that isn't a whole lot for modern applications.

Would be very nice if I could run OS4.1FE on my G4 Powerbook, as I like it a lot more than MorphOS, but MorphOS is pretty sweet as well.  Just feels a little 'off' from the Amiga experience, if that makes sense.

Yeah, the SCSI on the Cyberstorm does, but that's a bit of an exception. The Blizzard SCSI doesn't unfortunately - or at least it didn't last time I checked, and neither do things like Mediator DMA, so ethernet, USB etc. there will be slowed down too. 256MB is pretty minimal alright, though even with additional Z-III RAM boards like the BigRAM, it's slower than the 128MB that's on the Cyberstorm, which again will hurt performance with large applications, though having SCSI available will help things a lot.

I have 512MB in my A1, and it's enough for most things, but even so, opening a few browser tabs or similar heavy work and it soon runs out.

I know what you mean about MorphOS - I have it on a G4 iBook with over 1GB of RAM, in theory my most powerful Amiga-like machine. It's great for a portable, but just doesn't feel right and I much prefer using OS4 when I have the choice.

• 2 weeks later...