IGNORED

AmigaOS 3.2 announced. (haven't found where to buy yet).

leech

27 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

My order from AoL arrived over the weekend, and I picked it up Monday.  Very excited but with an unstable 4000D right now.

Nice!  Wait, is that Amiga on the Lake?  Their page still doesn't list rom options.  Hoping I get mine soon.  Was playing with my PPC set up over the weekend, and it started going into a boot loop randomly.... found out it was something to do with the CD drive, I disconnected that and it was fine... hopefully my ACARD-7730SA isn't bad... they are even mire ridiculously priced than when I bought it!

1 hour ago, leech said:

Nice!  Wait, is that Amiga on the Lake?  Their page still doesn't list rom options.  Hoping I get mine soon.  Was playing with my PPC set up over the weekend, and it started going into a boot loop randomly.... found out it was something to do with the CD drive, I disconnected that and it was fine... hopefully my ACARD-7730SA isn't bad... they are even mire ridiculously priced than when I bought it!

Yeah, Amiga on the Lake.  I missed the "t".  There has been talk of when ROMs will be available, but I can burn my own ROMs from the files included on the CD.

The reason the Acards are ridiculously expensive is because the company disappeared off the face of the Earth about two years ago.  I was distributing for a short time (several hundred units moved) when this happened.  I had an order for 200 more which could not be fulfilled.  At the time they were being produced on-demand with minimum quantity requirements.

I was selling these to Texas Instruments for a while, and my buyer told me they had found what appeared to be suitable replacements.  I never tried them, myself, but I may dig that information back up sometime.

Good luck on the troubleshooting.  I am pretty certain my problem is ChipRAM.  I replaced mine with an 8MB SIMM but that only had minimal effect.  Somewhere I have a dead 4000D mobo I dredged up with its 2MB SIMM intact.

I had weird stability issues when I first got my 4000D.  Tried new ram, and everything.  It would work most of the time, but certain things would make it crash.  Finally someone recommended a recap, which at the time my skills were far less than they are now.  So I shipped it off, and it has been rock solid since (except for OS4.1, Which I am now 100% convinced the classic version is just unstable, as I have had it freeze randomly in emulation as well.  And the 3.9BB4 install on the same system is rock solid.)

On 6/9/2021 at 10:32 PM, leech said:

I had weird stability issues when I first got my 4000D.  Tried new ram, and everything.  It would work most of the time, but certain things would make it crash.  Finally someone recommended a recap, which at the time my skills were far less than they are now.

This just popped up on me at some point.  I sent it off a few years ago to Acil (Paul Rezendez) to get it fitted up.  I know before when I had a WarpEngine 4040 it would wiggle up from the CPU socket and cause all kinds of glitches.  Been really stable until it was not.

There is also something else which could be a problem: my Deneb.  I have a bunch of libraries installed in the flash ROM to keep from having to restart multiple times during boot-up.  I suspect many of them are out of date, so I am going to clear it out the next chance I get and start from scratch, especially since I am upgrading from 3.9 to 3.2 (non Amigoids just had their minds blown :) )

• Haha 1

Ha ha, yeah.  I think I explained elsewhere recently that it's 1.3, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 3.5 (68k with PPC support), 3.9 (68k with PPC support), 4.0 (PPC only), 4.1 (PPC only), 3.1.4 (68k only), 3.2 (68k only).

Talk about a weird and wild ride.

I wonder if 3.2 will actually have WarpOS / PPC support.  Otherwise I'm going to end up with 3.2 kickstart and 3.9OS like I did with 3.1.4 on my Cyberstorm setup.

3.1.4 worked wonderfully though on my Video Toaster set up.  Though a recompiled Lightwave 3D might be interesting on my PPC setup...

This is great news, and its worth it for me just for the ability to drag windows off screen!  

Been waiting for that for years...

That said, I will wait a bit longer for the digital version.

I have two Amigas, but I am keeping my A500 more old school with older OSes.

I will use 3.2 on my A1200 (as I do with 3.1.2 currently).

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Daedalus2097 said:

There's no actual PPC support in 3.2, but you should be able to install the required libraries as before - OS 3.9 was the same deal, except it had the PPC libraries bundled on the CD.

Copying stuff over from the 3.9 setup should be no problem either.

Yeah, I think there were lower level OS choices you could make with 3.9.  Though I could be wrong, it's been a while since I messed around with it.  Funny enough, on my system 3.9 with PPC stuff is FAR more stable than OS4.1FE Classic, which seems to randomly crash on things.  Though now I can't help but think it was caused by the ACARD adapter I have hooked up to the BD drive... it flaked out on me completely when I updated to the latest, and caused a boot loop.  I bought a couple 68pin SCSI drives to connect to the Cyberstorm to see if that helps the stability. 

• 3 months later...

Just pulled the trigger and purchased OS3.2 + KS ROM for my 68010 equipped (Buffee hopefully someday) Amiga 2000 finally. I have an A2091 with CD-ROM already attached, and a shiny new SCSI2SD adapter I'll be installing. Hoping installation is as easy as creating an Install disk from the CD-ROM, formatting the HD, then finishing the OS install from the CD. Can always just create a bunch of disks I guess if I have to, then add the CD drive later. Been looking forward to this release!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

@save2600 I have a 2000 with a Blizzard 2060 and 128MB RAM I need to get back operational.  OS3.2 is going to be a great treat for this machine.

3.2 is awesome.  For one, they finally finished adding shortcuts to all of the menu items.  They also added the process name to the intuition dialog that is preventing a screenmode change.

Also, larger than 1gb boot partitions are now possible.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/16/2021 at 3:16 AM, save2600 said:

Quick question: does OS3.2 require a 68020+ processor to properly format and use HD's larger than 4GB?

No. You must have at least KS 3.1, 2mb total memory and 10mb of HD space. No mention of CPU requirements 

I use a 32gb CF in my A1200 and have 3 partitions. So you won't have problems with big drives or big partitions.

I have

Dh0: 1gb

Dh1: 14.5gb

Dh2: 14.5gb

Use a good quality cfcard ( sandisk 32gb extreme works flawlessly ) and install the OS via WinUAE after you've prepared the cfcard, don't do a full format. This is the easiest method for installing 3.2 IMO

The only problem I had initially was lack of memory, 3.2 basically ate all my chipram with a stock A1200. You won't have a usable system with just 2mb of chip unless you have at least 8mb of fast ram

I ended up getting a GVP 030 card with 8mb of ram and that solved my ram issue.

It left me with 1.7mb chip and 6.7mb of fast after installing Roadshow.

Edited by shoestring
  • Thanks 1

There are a few ways to reduce the RAM requirements of OS 3.2, but realistically, if you're using a machine in any serious capacity that would warrant the use of 3.2, you should have at least a few extra MB of RAM. By far and away the largest requirement for RAM is validating FFS partitions after formatting, or interrupting a write. At the default settings, you need about 1MB of RAM per 1GB of partition, so if you don't meet that requirement and ever invalidate a partition e.g. because of a crash, you'll have trouble getting it to validate.

Things to do to reduce RAM requirements:

- Use a physical 3.2 ROM

- Use the basic icons, backdrops and low-colour screenmodes

- Use fewer buffers for each partition

- And for the validation requirements, use a larger blocksize. An 8kB blocksize will only require 1MB per 16GB of partition space, as well as giving a significant boost to performance.

3.2 can and does run in 2MB of RAM, but as I said, you'll probably want more than that to do anything significant.

• Like 3